[TriumphTrophy] Mot and brakes

  • John Barrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2011
      Hi All, Well just back from getting my 1200 mot tested. Last nite I
      discovered A sticky right front calliper again so stripped it off and
      cleaned it up and copperslipped the sliders and pins but all to no avail as
      the bloody thing just would not quite release enough for the front wheel to
      turn freely. Off again and pump out the pistons, clean them all shiny and a
      little brake seal grease smeared on then push them all the way back in with
      the g-clamp only to find hard resistance this time. Refitted the calliper
      but now discover I have no pressure at the lever at all, and a bubbling
      sound from the master cylinder. Out of time so up thismorning at 6am and off
      with the wheel, callipers and master cylinder and on with the replacement
      wheel, callipers and master cylinder which i was going to fit after the mot.
      These items are 4pot callipers as appossed to the 2pot sliding callipers
      originally fitted to my very early 1200. What an upgrade these are, good
      bite and very progressive feel to them and they still look like the original
      callipers. Off for the mot and all is well other than advisory on the rear
      pads which really shocked me as these were new ebc HHcopper only 3000 miles
      ago. Any how I have just changed these for the standard compound ebc pads
      which i happened to have and found the rear calliper to be in perfect
      operating condition with copperslip still evident from the service recently
      done. Guess i wont be using the HH pads again!! I have looked at the
      original master cylinder and it seems the seals have failed, but there are
      deposits of dark waxy substance on the actual seals, any clue any one? I now
      believe that the sticky brake was actually caused by the failing master
      cylinder, and not the callipers as this has been a minor on going issue. Now
      to remove the wheel and the discs, and mount the disks on my original wheel
      as it is a different style to the later wheel, then time permiting i will
      fit the new hid kit and all will be well in my world. Happy days. Jubba. 92
      dark blue 1200