Re: Stebel horn install - no sound

  • slovcan
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
      Yeah, I always heard about the "Darkness by Lucas" thing.

      The rear brake light disappeared with this stuff, too. The front brake still lights it up. I used the tail light red wire to trigger the buss bar relay.

      I think I'm going to toss the buss bar and solder three wires into a ring terminal for the positive battery post - horn, power outlet & the 2-pin trailer-wire type pigtail for future battery charging or what-have-you. Maybe... The buss bar is costing me 0.5 volt. I checked the resistance on adjacent terminals on the buss bar - ~0.650 M-ohms - doesn't seem right to me.

      Cheers,
      Glenn

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "John F" <mailman93060@...> wrote:

      > This is a British bike, mate. It don't take kindly to air tight, perfect wiring. You need to loosely crimp those connectors and leave a couple exposed to corrosion. Use disparate parts and you'll be right as rain! Except in the rain.
      >
      > Good luck! :-)
      >
      > Humour aside, I sympathize. You'll find it following our resident electrical wizard's advice (that's Poppa Jack). May you soon be getting the attention of cagers everywhere, at least those coming into your lane!
      >
      > John F
      > Minneapolis
      > 96 Trophy 1200 BRG
      > 53,490 miles

    • brewerswhoop
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

        > Yeah, I always heard about the "Darkness by Lucas" thing.

        Joseph Lucas: Lord of Darkness. Haven't heard that for years! :-)
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
          Hi again Glen,
          Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater Bro. The buss bar is a
          very good Idea. There's a short between two power sources. I'd wager
          it is something that you worked on that has you confounded. Were you
          having any kind of electrical problems before you started your
          install? Have you got a wiring diagram for your bike? First off,
          you're going in the right direction by making the power for the buss
          come for a more direct source (batt.), doing so my just cure your
          problem. Use like a 14 amp in-line fuse. No matter what, get the line
          to the buss fused. When it comes to M/C wiring, simple is really a
          good thing. So I would use a 12-gauge lead with an inline fuse,
          joined with a power buss, with 4 posts, and hook it directly to the
          battery through an on/off switch for the most simple set-up for the
          electrically challenged. To do it right, that is to have the
          accessory buss incoming voltage be shut off, when you turn off the
          key-switch. Best would be to come off the "on" or "accessory" tab on
          my ignition switch thru a fused line to that fuss, but taking all
          that apart might be harrowing. So the next best thing is to step down
          one connection to your fuse block (under the seat ). Here you can
          easily find a hot wire that is cut off when the key is in the "off"
          position. you could install a multi-pole, multi throw switch,
          powered by your fused "Hot Wire", and eliminate the buss altogether,
          with a switch. This is a great solution, as you would have that
          entire circuit where when you pull the switch, you have all that
          accessory circuit right in your hands. Couple that with the ability
          to run some devices, and not run others, with the flick of a switch!
          This could be a doo-dadd lover's dream! In any case, you must be
          certain to find your short. I always start by wiggling wires in the
          immediate area that I made any mods to. There's no guarantee that you
          you only have one problem. Loosen up the wire bundle around any area
          you've touched. Making extra sure that there isn't any unnecessary
          "Pull" on wires. Once that group of wires are all free, try out the
          offending circuit several times (paying particular attention to any
          wire that leaks any of its' smoke! Although even European model car
          dealers will usually carry smoke in the "viscos" number you
          personally enjoy when out on the road. Anyhow I wiggle wires, and
          connections, looking for anything that looks out of sorts with
          anything I messed with recently. Did you say you put in a relay? If
          so, you may have not wired it in properly. With your handi-multimeter
          set on infinity, and the Earth wires on the horns disconnected, read
          out each segment of the circuit to ground. When you've isolated the
          circuit by disconnecting at both ends, you can eliminate each run,
          and each connection, by testing each segment, you isolate the trouble
          to within that particular run. Then physically examine the run for
          mechanical faults (bad connection, corrosion, break in insolation,
          burned out fuse or bulb or accessory. Once in a while a wire will
          break inside the insolation, so you cannot see it. It happens when a
          single wire in a Lomb is stretched too tight, eventually it will
          break. Is that relay giving a good "click" ? test the output side of
          the relay for voltage. I always like to not dig into the guts of a
          bike when I'm traveling, so I have always simplified the wiring on my
          bikes. I love getting a "new?" bike, and making the wiring a work of
          art, that will (should it be required) be very easy to work on whilst
          sitting on the side of the road. I suspect you have more that one
          thing wrong. Try breaking it down the least amount possible isolating
          and reading either continuity or voltage working from the outside of
          the bike, in. Please let me know how you're proceeding. I think
          you'll find the problem quickly if you take these steps. Please feel
          free to ask questions as you go. We have some serious "Fixers"
          amongst us, and some guys that have been carrying a major torch for
          the "Triumph" marquis for a long time (me 4 one!) Since I got mine
          new on Sept. 22, 1995, I have only seen a couple bikes that really
          turned me on (like I for just a moment, considered a new bike, but I
          am totally enjoying my '95 BBBB still. As I've often said, I envy you
          fellows that have multiple bikes "That Run!!"
          On Mar 31, 2011, at 8:55 PM, slovcan wrote:

          > Yeah, I always heard about the "Darkness by Lucas" thing.
          >
          > The rear brake light disappeared with this stuff, too. The front
          > brake still lights it up. I used the tail light red wire to trigger
          > the buss bar relay.
          >
          > I think I'm going to toss the buss bar and solder three wires into
          > a ring terminal for the positive battery post - horn, power outlet
          > & the 2-pin trailer-wire type pigtail for future battery charging
          > or what-have-you. Maybe... The buss bar is costing me 0.5 volt. I
          > checked the resistance on adjacent terminals on the buss bar -
          > ~0.650 M-ohms - doesn't seem right to me.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Glenn
          >
          > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "John F" <mailman93060@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > This is a British bike, mate. It don't take kindly to air tight,
          > perfect wiring. You need to loosely crimp those connectors and
          > leave a couple exposed to corrosion. Use disparate parts and you'll
          > be right as rain! Except in the rain.
          > >
          > > Good luck! :-)
          > >
          > > Humour aside, I sympathize. You'll find it following our resident
          > electrical wizard's advice (that's Poppa Jack). May you soon be
          > getting the attention of cagers everywhere, at least those coming
          > into your lane!
          > >
          > > John F
          > > Minneapolis
          > > 96 Trophy 1200 BRG
          > > 53,490 miles

        • slovcan
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2011
            Hi Jack,

            Ha! I work at an airport and love to say "Hi Jack"! Anyway PoppaJack, I'm working every day for the next week. I really appreciate your - and everybody else's - input. Next days off I'll go through it and let you know what I find.

            Cheers,
            Glenn