Anybody have a heated seat?

  • slovcan
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
      I've been making a seat for the trophy on the original pan. I'm thinking now that I should put a heating pad under the cover while it is accessible. The pad will be about 25-30 watts. Will the electrical system support this with the lights on high beam (standard wattage bulbs - 1999 900)? Anybody have any first hand experience?

      Thanks,
      Glenn
    • john tabberer
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
        Not the answer you are probably looking for...

        If you change to HID headlamps, then these will draw 35 watts each instead of 60 watts each (75 instead of 120) leaving 45 watts spare...

        on my previous 1994 1200 trophy, I found that you could get the headlamp switch into an intermediate position where both head and dip would be on at the same time. and that seemed to be OK whilst you were on the move...

        A more beneficial option would be to use a voltage controlled switch in the circuit which could turn the seat off if  the voltage got lower than you would prefer...

        Ideally a circuit like mentioned above, with a built in delay before switching on, would probably help at start up as well by making sure the seat doesn't come on until after you have had a chance to start the engine...

        regards John

        I've been making a seat for the trophy on the original pan. I'm thinking now that I should put a heating pad under the cover while it is accessible. The pad will be about 25-30 watts. Will the electrical system support this with the lights on high beam (standard wattage bulbs - 1999 900)? Anybody have any first hand experience?

        Thanks,
        Glenn

      • Greg

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
            Hi guys,

            John, yes I've been thinking about going with the HID option, but am still a little leery about the quality/longevity of a lot of the kits out there. FWIW, I think the H4 based kits are probably the most appropriate for the upgrade - the arc is at least oriented in the same direction as the filament of the halogen bulb, maybe lessening the glare from the reflector that wasn't meant for HID. For this year I have a pair of new Osram Night Breaker bulbs I'm going to try. I got a pair of them and also the original Osram Silverstars from an eBay seller in Lithuania. These Silverstars have clear bulb glass, unlike the North American Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's which don't last long as they overdrive the filaments to overcome the blue bulb glass. We'll see how long these last on the bike (the Night Breakers do have blue glass with a clear window for the high beam filament) and maybe go HID next. Back on topic, the seat heater kits I've been looking at have either an ON/OFF or a LOW/OFF/HIGH switch, so not taxing the system continuously. I like the idea that others here have done and will put a buss bar under the seat for things like this, the Stebel horn power and a GPS pigtail.

            Greg, I do have a sheepskin that I got from Alaska Leather. GREAT buy. Feels great warm or cold. I got it to try to make the Corbin seat comfortable enough for me for more than an hour. Failed, hence the rebuild of the original. Barb at Alaska Leather sent me the sheepskin on "spec". Try it for a week and if I liked it, pay for it. If not, send it back. When was the last time a business trusted an out of COUNTRY customer like that? Of course I loved it, kept it and paid for it. Bonus, perfect fit on BOTH bikes. I was just thinking the 75 km ride home at 02:00 AM and 3-4 degrees C might be even more enjoyable with a warm bum.

            Glenn

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

            > Hi Glenn, Get a lamb skin cover instead. It works in both winter and summer. Go to Cruis'n Comfort. Lee in Austraila makes them. He is a member of this group.
            > Greg Andrews
            > '96 900 BRG
          • Adeux
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
              I am a little puzzled as I feel your butt should be well insulated and not
              prone to heat loss and equally not easily heated albeit a probably pleasant
              effect. Would the wattage need be high enough to get through your clothing
              and would it then blister your particulars? I am about to tear off an inch
              or two off my seat and attempt to widen it slightly to spread the load and
              as I fitted the HIDs I definately have some spare wattage. In view of the
              already uncomfortable seat I wouldn't want to feel the heated wires...

              I sat on the bike yesterday without the seat and was particularly impressed
              that the position actually felt more comfortable even with the battery
              terminals in my rear.....

              slovcan wrote:

              > Hi guys,
              >
              > John, yes I've been thinking about going with the HID option, but am still
              > a little leery about the quality/longevity of a lot of the kits out there.
              > FWIW, I think the H4 based kits are probably the most appropriate for the
              > upgrade - the arc is at least oriented in the same direction as the
              > filament of the halogen bulb, maybe lessening the glare from the reflector
              > that wasn't meant for HID. For this year I have a pair of new Osram Night
              > Breaker bulbs I'm going to try. I got a pair of them and also the original
              > Osram Silverstars from an eBay seller in Lithuania. These Silverstars have
              > clear bulb glass, unlike the North American Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's
              > which don't last long as they overdrive the filaments to overcome the blue
              > bulb glass. We'll see how long these last on the bike (the Night Breakers
              > do have blue glass with a clear window for the high beam filament) and
              > maybe go HID next. Back on topic, the seat heater kits I've been looking
              > at have either an ON/OFF or a LOW/OFF/HIGH switch, so not taxing the
              > system continuously. I like the idea that others here have done and will
              > put a buss bar under the seat for things like this, the Stebel horn power
              > and a GPS pigtail.
              >
              > Greg, I do have a sheepskin that I got from Alaska Leather. GREAT buy.
              > Feels great warm or cold. I got it to try to make the Corbin seat
              > comfortable enough for me for more than an hour. Failed, hence the rebuild
              > of the original. Barb at Alaska Leather sent me the sheepskin on "spec".
              > Try it for a week and if I liked it, pay for it. If not, send it back.
              > When was the last time a business trusted an out of COUNTRY customer like
              > that? Of course I loved it, kept it and paid for it. Bonus, perfect fit on
              > BOTH bikes. I was just thinking the 75 km ride home at 02:00 AM and 3-4
              > degrees C might be even more enjoyable with a warm bum.
              >
              > Glenn
              >
              > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hi Glenn, Get a lamb skin cover instead. It works in both winter and
              >> summer. Go to Cruis'n Comfort. Lee in Austraila makes them. He is a
              >> member of this group.
              >> Greg Andrews
              >> '96 900 BRG

              -----
              A2
              Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
            • Jubba
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
                Hi Adeux, A little off subject I know but I believe you recently posted a
                link to a supplier of hid light system. I thought I had saved the link but
                cant find it. Could you please repost if you still have the information as
                my brother has a hid light fitted to his trophy and tells me it is the way
                forward. When I looked at the link before it seemed to be the exact kit I
                require and at a very reasonable price. Many thanks in advance, Jubba 92
                dark blue 1200

                > --

                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
                > agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
                > writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
                > topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
                > except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
                > minimum when replying.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • slovcan
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
                  Yes, my butt has PLENTY of insulation, though I can't imagine how you would know that!

                  The kits I have looked at are for cars, but the pad size would fit a bike seat nicely. On my car, the heat comes through the leather which is fairly thick, thicker than bike seat vinyl. I'm not sure if the heat pad is also under a thin layer of foam. Once I get the seat foam in place (thickness and shape) I'm going to lay a layer of 1/8" or 1/4" soft foam to smooth the edges so they don't show as much through the vinyl. I figured I'd put the heating pad under this "contour" layer (have to 1st make sure the foam can tolerate the ~110*F of the high setting.

                  The other question is valid. I can certainly feel the heat in the car seat when sitting on it, not really if just laying a hand on the passenger seat, for example. So, I wonder how much heat I'll feel through my regular pants AND the Joe Rocket textile riding pants. I really think I will feel enough, but won't know until I try.

                  Yes, the particulars are also a consideration, maybe a good reason to get a kit with a high AND a low setting. Some of the kits have a pad that is wider than it is long, and some may be able to be trimmed to size.

                  So, will the alternator support this WITHOUT having to go to HID's?

                  Cheers,
                  Glenn

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@...> wrote:

                  > I am a little puzzled as I feel your butt should be well insulated and not
                  > prone to heat loss and equally not easily heated albeit a probably pleasant
                  > effect. Would the wattage need be high enough to get through your clothing
                  > and would it then blister your particulars? I am about to tear off an inch
                  > or two off my seat and attempt to widen it slightly to spread the load and
                  > as I fitted the HIDs I definately have some spare wattage. In view of the
                  > already uncomfortable seat I wouldn't want to feel the heated wires...
                  >
                  > I sat on the bike yesterday without the seat and was particularly impressed
                  > that the position actually felt more comfortable even with the battery
                  > terminals in my rear.....

                • Adeux
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
                    I will start a new thread under hid to make it more findable but a forum
                    search should find it anyhow.

                    -----
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
                      See
                      http://www.hotboxhydroponics.co.uk//products/hotbox-heatwave/4514162218272933354446
                      who once made me a bespoke panel for alligators

                      And external motorcycle heated seat on eBay

                      I guess 10-20 watts therefore no problem
                      Happy cooking

                      A2

                      -----
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
                        Thanks for the interesting link, A2. Wow! You have alligators?

                        Yeah, that other eBay thing with the fellow putting the heating pads in the Harley (others, too) seats is exactly what I want to do.

                      • Adeux
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 28, 2011
                          Could u photo your seat pan without the foam as I want to make some changes
                          too and would like to know what to expect
                          Cheers
                          A2

                          -----
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 28, 2011
                            I'm just starting 4 long days and nights of work, but after that I'll post some pics in one of the 2 slovcan albums if I can figure out how (why there are two). After you get out the 2 million staples the cover removes easily. Use a proper $5 staple remover, much easier than a screwdriver, but the old vinyl will still pull through a lot of the staples. Be careful removing the cover at the drivers seating area (it is glued). After that you can lift the one-piece seat foam off the pan (carefully, it is stuck in a couple of small spots). Just scooping out the seating area of mine with a mini-grinder made a big difference, maybe enough for you. Half of my problem may have been the vinyl being hard as a rock at the seating position where it was glued, but rather than just recovering I figured in for a penny in for a pound.

                            Ken, the link didn't work, just went to The Sun, but no article so I imagine it was meant to be a page 3 Sunshine Girl. Thank you, it's the thought that counts!

                          • Adeux
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 28, 2011
                              I was thinking of lowering the foam but at the same time widen the foam
                              slightly. I have loads of leather so recovering isn't a problem. If the foam
                              just drops off the casing then no problem...

                              The link needs the next line of text tagged onto it....

                              A2

                              -----