Re: [TriumphTrophy] Cam bits

  • Adeux
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2011
      Certainly sounds like a stretched link - but I checked it out and its ok and
      I put it back in - I changed the tensioner even. I haven't started it yet. I
      looked for the balancer shaft and found that it could be another source of a
      rattle. Oh well that is enough tinkering I think -it took me long enough to
      get it all lined up again. My previous bike was a twin and I have blown up
      some on the way and this is disconcerting when you just want to be sure it
      does one more summer trip.

      John Barrett wrote:

      > Hi Adeux, Yours would have to have been VERY abused and neglected to have
      > knackered a cam chain so soon. Remember that the 900s are very noisy at
      > tickover, even with correct shim gaps and cam chain tension they do sound
      >
      >> List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
      >> agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
      >> writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
      >> topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
      >> except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
      >> minimum when replying.
      >>

      >> Post message: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
      >> Subscribe: TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >>
      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      -----
      A2
      Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
    • Adeux
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2011
        Good point and I checked as you advised and there are plenty of clicks left
        on the adjuster. The specs confirmed the adjuster spring was short so I
        replaced the entire unit (65 pounds...). Yet to run it as next I have
        electrics and minor mechanicals to sort. I want it really sweet from March
        onwards. I had 6 shims to change at .05 out apiece probably PO never looked
        at them and I left them for a while but I was now hoping to get rid of some
        noise at tick over. Still as you say there won't be much effect on this
        bike.

        Thanks for the tip - I could have done with a similar tip to getting the
        cams lined up but got there in the end....

        -----