Headlight relay question

  • JackM
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2011
      Greetings all,
      I have a question about the headlight relays. My High Beam stopped working a while ago and I was able to diagnose it as the relay. In brief, the high beams work just fine when I swap the low beam relay into the high beam socket.

      So today I took the relay to my local NAPA auto parts store to get a replacement. The pin out diagram on the relay case was the same as the old one, but it does not work. Curiously, I actually hear the relay toggle as soon as I plug it in to the socket. The other known good relay does not do that.

      Obviously, the relay I bought is not the correct one, so I am hoping someone, especially here in the states, can refer me to a common part name and number for a correct one.

      Thanks!
      Jack
      Placerville, CA
      (Hangtown USA)
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 24, 2011
        If I'm not mistaken there are 2 relays for the headlights....check all
        of them.

        bob

        On 1/24/2011 1:42 AM, JackM wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        > I have a question about the headlight relays. My High Beam stopped
        > working a while ago and I was able to diagnose it as the relay. In
        > brief, the high beams work just fine when I swap the low beam relay
        > into the high beam socket.
        >
        > So today I took the relay to my local NAPA auto parts store to get a
        > replacement. The pin out diagram on the relay case was the same as the
        > old one, but it does not work. Curiously, I actually hear the relay
        > toggle as soon as I plug it in to the socket. The other known good
        > relay does not do that.
        >
        > Obviously, the relay I bought is not the correct one, so I am hoping
        > someone, especially here in the states, can refer me to a common part
        > name and number for a correct one.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Jack
        > Placerville, CA
        > (Hangtown USA)

      • Samuel Crider
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 24, 2011
          Jack,

          Having just worked thru a bunch of underdash electrical gremlins. For
          what it's worth here's my two cents. Hope this helps.

          Remove and rework/relocate all of the underdash ground points. I
          relocated to the top right radiator mount boss. Which is a solid
          connection to the main frame. Insttead of the pinch bolt location.
          Which forces current to flow thru the head bearings then into the main
          frame. This fixed all of my strange headlight dropout issues to date.

          Also, consider hanging the relays right side up. I happened to notice
          water intrusion in the one's mounted upside down. So, you might want
          to pop the tops and clean them up a bit.

          Best of luck.

          Samuel Crider
          96 BBBB PB
          New Orleans

          On 1/24/11, Robert <apsllp@...> wrote:

          > If I'm not mistaken there are 2 relays for the headlights....check all
          > of them.
          >

          > bob
          >
          > On 1/24/2011 1:42 AM, JackM wrote:
          >>
          >> Greetings all,
          >> I have a question about the headlight relays. My High Beam stopped
          >> working a while ago and I was able to diagnose it as the relay. In
          >> brief, the high beams work just fine when I swap the low beam relay
          >> into the high beam socket.
          >>
          >> So today I took the relay to my local NAPA auto parts store to get a
          >> replacement. The pin out diagram on the relay case was the same as the
          >> old one, but it does not work. Curiously, I actually hear the relay
          >> toggle as soon as I plug it in to the socket. The other known good
          >> relay does not do that.
          >>
          >> Obviously, the relay I bought is not the correct one, so I am hoping
          >> someone, especially here in the states, can refer me to a common part
          >> name and number for a correct one.
          >>
          >> Thanks!
          >> Jack
          >> Placerville, CA
          >> (Hangtown USA)

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
          > agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
          > writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
          > topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
          > except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
          > minimum when replying.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • JackM
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
            Yeah. Did that, per my original post. Thanks.

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Robert <apsllp@...> wrote:

            > If I'm not mistaken there are 2 relays for the headlights....check all
            > of them.
            >

            > bob
            >
            > On 1/24/2011 1:42 AM, JackM wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings all,
            > > I have a question about the headlight relays. My High Beam stopped
            > > working a while ago and I was able to diagnose it as the relay. In
            > > brief, the high beams work just fine when I swap the low beam relay
            > > into the high beam socket.
            > >
            > > So today I took the relay to my local NAPA auto parts store to get a
            > > replacement. The pin out diagram on the relay case was the same as the
            > > old one, but it does not work. Curiously, I actually hear the relay
            > > toggle as soon as I plug it in to the socket. The other known good
            > > relay does not do that.
            > >
            > > Obviously, the relay I bought is not the correct one, so I am hoping
            > > someone, especially here in the states, can refer me to a common part
            > > name and number for a correct one.
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > Jack
            > > Placerville, CA
            > > (Hangtown USA)

          • Adeux
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
              The pins may be the same but the internal layout has to be too. This is
              usually sketched on the relay casing. Also it is easy to diagnose with a
              multimeter either tracing the 12v or continuity within the bulbs.
              Hope this helps...
              A2

              JackM-2 wrote:

              > Yeah. Did that, per my original post. Thanks.
              >
              > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Robert <apsllp@...> wrote:
              >>

              >> If I'm not mistaken there are 2 relays for the headlights....check all
              >> of them.
              >>

              >> bob
              >>
              >> On 1/24/2011 1:42 AM, JackM wrote:
              >> >
              >> > Greetings all,
              >> > I have a question about the headlight relays. My High Beam stopped
              >> > working a while ago and I was able to diagnose it as the relay. In
              >> > brief, the high beams work just fine when I swap the low beam relay
              >> > into the high beam socket.
              >> >
              >> > So today I took the relay to my local NAPA auto parts store to get a
              >> > replacement. The pin out diagram on the relay case was the same as the
              >> > old one, but it does not work. Curiously, I actually hear the relay
              >> > toggle as soon as I plug it in to the socket. The other known good
              >> > relay does not do that.
              >> >
              >> > Obviously, the relay I bought is not the correct one, so I am hoping
              >> > someone, especially here in the states, can refer me to a common part
              >> > name and number for a correct one.
              >> >
              >> > Thanks!
              >> > Jack
              >> > Placerville, CA
              >> > (Hangtown USA)

              -----
              A2
              Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
            • JackM
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 27, 2011
                Dudes,
                With all due appreciation and respect for those who replied to my headlight relay question....

                I was not asking for diagnostic tips. I already diagnosed the high beam relay as being faulty. I not only bench tested the relay and deemed it faulty, but I also plugged the other relay into the high beam socket and the high beams worked perfectly.

                I am asking for part brand names and part numbers that are known good replacements. I am asking because my local NAPA auto parts store has a wide selection of Wells brand relays, AND they cross referenced the number on my old one AND it had a pin out diagram that appeared to match my old one, BUT it does not work. So, clearly this Wells Relay is not a compatible replacement and I need one that is.

                Thanks again!
                Jack
                Placerville, CA
                (Hangtown USA)
              • Don Varnau
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 27, 2011
                  Jack,
                  Here's a message I saved from Aug 6, 2003...
                  - - -
                  Otay,

                  If there is one 'ting 'dat piss me off, it is getting ripped off.....and
                  Triumph seems to have perfected that procedure with their OEM replacement
                  costs.

                  First, it was over $200 for a temp gauge and now I find they want $39 for a
                  headlight relay. Simply unacceptable for common universal replacement items.

                  Anytways, for those of you, like me, who don't like getting gouged for parts
                  and are a bit mechanically inclined, here are instructions on relay
                  replacement for a fraction of the costs.

                  Note: These instructions are for '96 and up models.
                  The complete procedure took me about 20 min.

                  1. Trot down to your local Radio Shack Electronics store and pick up a
                  standard "30 Amp Auto Relay," Part# 275-226, cost $4.79. It even has the
                  same small mounting tab. Probably cheaper at an auto parts store.

                  2. Remove the left fairing (you can probably do this by just removing the
                  chin fairing, but that would be sorta like wipin' your ass by reaching over
                  your left shoulder....it could be done done, but damn) and remove the screw
                  holding the three relays onto the frame. The relays are located on the left
                  hand side of the left headlight covering. The two smaller ones are the high
                  beam and low beam relays. The larger one with four wires in a five pin
                  connector is the Load Relief Relay. Determine which relay is bad by swapping
                  connectors on the high and low beam relays..

                  3. Take old bad relay and toss in trash.

                  Now, a little work is involved. Triumph, apparently to ensure that people
                  would have to buy their expensive relays instead of just standard auto
                  relays, installed standard auto relays, except the internal wiring is
                  switched around. However, not a problem. Here is what you do:

                  4. Look at the disconnected the plug. If it has a red and yellow wire, it is
                  the high beam relay. If it has a black and white wire, it is the low beam
                  relay. Either way, the instructions are pretty much the same.

                  5. Remove the fuse for the headlights.

                  6. When looking directly at the open end of the plug, opposite the wires,
                  you will see that each plug has a very small square openig beside each pin
                  opening. By pushing in a small object ( I used a very small Allen wrench
                  because it was the first thing to come to hand) you can release the
                  retaining mechanism that holds the pin in and the pin pulls right out the
                  back. The retaining mechanism is simply a small sliver of the pin that
                  sticks out and catches on a ridge to prevent the pin coming out. When you
                  get the first pin out and look at it, it will be obvious how this works. Do
                  this to each of the other pins.

                  7. Now then look at the back of your new relay where the pins are. You will
                  find each pin numbered 85, 86, 87 and 30 (don't ask me). Take the plug you
                  just removed the wires from and match it up to the relay connector so that
                  you know which pin on the plug matches to which numbered pin on the relay.
                  The numbers are stamped on the back of the relay. There is also a schematic
                  of the relay on the back of the box.

                  8. Now 'den. Snap the black wire connector into 85. Snap the brown and green
                  wire connector into 87. For the low beam: snap the black and white wire into
                  30 and the red and blue wire into 86. For the high beam: snap the red and
                  yellow wire into 30 and the white and blue wire into 86. Do a little tug on
                  each wire to ensure the retaining tang has snapped over the ridge and is
                  keeping the pin in. If it comes out, make sure the tang is sticking out a
                  little bit from the body of the pin and push back in.

                  9. Attach the connector to the relay, replace the fuse and test the lights.
                  They should work fine now. If not, review the connections one more time. If
                  not email me off line and I'll try to help.

                  10. Reattach the relays to the frame, reinstall the bodywork.

                  Optional, but recommended:

                  11. Ride Trophy down to Radio Shack and pick up second relay.

                  12. Perform entire procedure for second relay so as to have a matched set,
                  making it much simpler for future replacement. You now have relays that are
                  available nation-wide at almost any store you go in to: from the auto store
                  to the automotive section of your grocery store.

                  13. Mark with indelible marker somewhere near the relays: New relay part
                  number (I used a tag attached to the wiring harness with the part number and
                  changed wiring). Also, if you have a Haynes manual, make a notation on page
                  9•25 with the correct pin wiring sequence.

                  Hope this helps.

                  John of Jax 2002 1200SSC
                  - - -
                  [End quoted]

                  Don
                  97 900

                  > I was not asking for diagnostic tips. I already diagnosed the high beam
                  relay as being faulty. I not only bench tested the relay and deemed it
                  faulty, but I also plugged the other relay into the high beam socket and the
                  high beams worked perfectly.

                  > I am asking for part brand names and part numbers that are known good
                  replacements. I am asking because my local NAPA auto parts store has a wide
                  selection of Wells brand relays, AND they cross referenced the number on my
                  old one AND it had a pin out diagram that appeared to match my old one, BUT
                  it does not work. So, clearly this Wells Relay is not a compatible
                  replacement and I need one that is.

                  > Thanks again!
                  > Jack
                • slovcan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 27, 2011
                    Somebody, please, please archive this in the files for our future sanity. I'm at work or I'd save it in a Word doc and upload it.

                    Thank you, Don!

                    Glenn

                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Don Varnau" <dvarnau@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > They should work fine now. If not, review the connections one more time. If
                    > not email me off line and I'll try to help.
                    >
                    > 10. Reattach the relays to the frame, reinstall the bodywork.
                    >
                    > Optional, but recommended:
                    >
                    > 11. Ride Trophy down to Radio Shack and pick up second relay.
                    >
                    > 12. Perform entire procedure for second relay so as to have a matched set,
                    > making it much simpler for future replacement. You now have relays that are
                    > available nation-wide at almost any store you go in to: from the auto store
                    > to the automotive section of your grocery store.
                    >
                    > 13. Mark with indelible marker somewhere near the relays: New relay part
                    > number (I used a tag attached to the wiring harness with the part number and
                    > changed wiring). Also, if you have a Haynes manual, make a notation on page
                    > 9•25 with the correct pin wiring sequence.

                  • Adeux
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 28, 2011
                      slightly stunned that the matching auto part did not work. I have several
                      times bought any old 30amp relay and wired it according to need - perhaps
                      it's an American thing as you also drive on the wrong side of the road.=^D
                      so I assumed replacement relay needs a meter on it to prove it's status.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 30, 2011
                        I bet you're right! Being here in the states, I probably have to install the relay opposite of how it goes in the UK. Shoulda thought of that! :)
                        Jack
                        Placerville, CA
                        (Hangtown USA)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 31, 2011
                          Thinking about it a bit more - I think I end up wiring according to the relay
                          schematic and throwing away the connector whilst using separate spade tags.

                          What's the hangtown USA refer to?

                          Take care
                          Dan

                          -----
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 1, 2011
                            That's not a bad idea. After all, it is just a 4-pole relay....hmmm...

                            Hangtown is the nickname for Placerville. In the midst of the California Gold Rush, Placerville was the only town of any size up here in the Sierras, so the Sheriff, the Marshall and the Courts were located here. The judges in those days were quick to hang people for capital offenses, which included "claim jumping." So the "Hangtown" name stuck. We kind of keep it alive to keep the big city people (especially San Franciscans)from getting too cocky around here. LOL

                            My house is just about 9 miles from where gold was first discovered in Coloma, so naturally, the area is rich with tales of the Gold Rush.

                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@...> wrote:

                            > Thinking about it a bit more - I think I end up wiring according to the relay
                            > schematic and throwing away the connector whilst using separate spade tags.
                            >
                            > What's the hangtown USA refer to?
                            >
                            > Take care
                            > Dan
                            >

                            > JackM-2 wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I bet you're right! Being here in the states, I probably have to install
                            > > the relay opposite of how it goes in the UK. Shoulda thought of that! :)
                            > > Jack
                            > > Placerville, CA
                            > > (Hangtown USA)
                            > >
                            > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Adeux <adeux60@> wrote:
                            > >>

                            > >> slightly stunned that the matching auto part did not work. I have several
                            > >> times bought any old 30amp relay and wired it according to need - perhaps
                            > >> it's an American thing as you also drive on the wrong side of the
                            > >> road.=^D
                            > >

                            > -----
                            > A2
                            > Trophy 900, fox eyes, mostly red, mostly upright in southern England
                            > --

                          • Adeux
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 1, 2011
                              I find the aluminium crimp type with insulator are good enough although the
                              whole thing looks a bit messy as I can't be bothered to solder any more.

                              If ever I visit Hangtown I will make sure to keep to the speed limit....

                              A2

                              -----