headlight cutout relay

  • black524td
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
      Sad to admit, but I just started of the New Year with a bang! I stalled pulling away on a left turn. Resulting in a smashed blinker, a few scrapes, and now a few electrical issues. Both the low and high beams have failed. Checked the bulbs which are fine. Can hear the relays on pass and hi beam. I suspect an issue with the cutout during starting circuit. Would you guys happen to know the location of this relay or happen to have an extra Pacific Blue front blinker collecting dust?

      Regards,

      Samuel Crider
      96/99 PB BBBB
      New Orleans
    • JackM
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011
        Sorry to hear of your woes.

        I do indeed have a Pacific Blue front blinker collecting dust. But...are left and right interchangeable? My left one broke the bosses where the screws go in, but the right one is fine. I cut the wires, though, to a pigtail about 6 inches long. I replaced the stock turn signals with some aftermarket ones and also changed their location on the fairing.

        So if you need a right one, or if they are interchangeable, let me know and I can send it to you. You can have the broken one, too. It would look and work fine if you epoxy it to the fairing I guess.

        Jack
        Placerville, CA
        (Hangtown USA)

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "black524td" <dieseldude1@...> wrote:

        > Sad to admit, but I just started of the New Year with a bang! I stalled pulling away on a left turn. Resulting in a smashed blinker, a few scrapes, and now a few electrical issues. Both the low and high beams have failed. Checked the bulbs which are fine. Can hear the relays on pass and hi beam. I suspect an issue with the cutout during starting circuit. Would you guys happen to know the location of this relay or happen to have an extra Pacific Blue front blinker collecting dust?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Samuel Crider
        > 96/99 PB BBBB
        > New Orleans

      • sam's mail
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011
          Jack,

          Wow, that would be great! As far as I can tell they are
          interchangeable. BikeBandit does not show a left/right in the
          breakdown. The new oem is $58 for the entire assembly. Let me know
          what you would like for yours and what form of payment you prefer.
          I'll send you the bread asap.

          Thanks again,

          Samuel Crider
          96/99 PB BBBB
          New Orleans

        • steve@sjcampbell.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011
            Hi Samuel,
            Sorry to hear of your drop. You are not alone! Good news - The blinkers are interchangeable. Bad news - the fairing should come off so you can get to the screws that hold the blinker baseplate... of course gluing is always an option...

            I recently did all the headlight relays, they are located behind the LHS headlight (mine were cable tied to the front instrument frame) there are three relays and in my experience clicking may not indicate working. The diagram is printed on the side of the relays (I think each is different) and it's easy enough to trouble shoot by bridging the appropriate terminals with an alligator clip (or even a paperclip). They appear to be subject to water damage (at least mine were). The relays are a stock part on many cars so your local auto store probably has them and cheaper than Triumph. I'd replace all three! I'm not sure if this can be done without removing the fairing though.
            Good Luck
            Steve
            '96 900