First ride of 2011 in Michigan

  • fstrd
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
      I set out to change the oil and drain the carbs about 3pm but the sun was out so thermal underwear, Aerostitich windblocker, Chili heated vest (never found the power cord) set the heated grips on high and it's time time to go for a ride. Twenty miles later when I went by the bank and the temp showed 27F and the wind is blowing hard out of the west. I had to question my sanity or why I didn't go out earler today when the temp was in the 40's and there was no wind. Oh well made my 50 mile loop, stopped at my favorite watering hole, friends also questioned my sanity, had one beer and I'm off.

      Not, every time I dropped it into gear she shut down. Uh oh, had been having trouble with the nuetral switch in the gearbox but that problem was cranking but no fire. Looked down at the side stand switch and the plunger rod did not pop out when the side stand was raised, must not have liked the cold. It's getting colder and it's starting to snow, damm. On to the centerstand, get a pair of pliers out of the tool kit, pull the plunger rod out and hope thats the problem. Start her up, drop it into gear and all is well. Now to get it off the centerstand since she is pointing up hill. Put the helmet and gloves on and I'm only 10 miles from home. Guess I'll fix or replace the nuetral and side stand switchs before spring.

      Changing the oil and draining the carbs will be Sundays job. Dont't think there is a chance for a ride, high of 24F, snow and high winds. But you never know.

      Have a great New Year.

      Dave

      1995 Trotona 1200
    • bownez@juno.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
        Dave, Congrats on having the big bronze ones to ride in such weather.I don't think my Trophy would even start. But it is 10 degrees F here. Bones in Mpls, Mn
      • John F
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
          Aw c'mon Bones. My Big Green Beast started right up today! I decided against taking her out as there's too much ice. My last ride was Dec 10. I'm hoping for our annual January thaw so I can get a ride or two in January.

          And congrats on the ride in Michigan! Well done!

          John F
          Minneapolis
          53,xxx miles