just joined group

  • builderchuckga
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010
      hi, picked up 2000 trophy 1200 today, rode home 125 miles,--sweet but i think maybe the coils are an issue, some misfiring. wondered what the advice is, many thanks, graham
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010
        Hello Graham:

        Welcome to the group! Where are you located? What color are you
        riding? Location makes a difference as to where we suggest you find
        things....

        Nice to hear you are riding a bike that has all of it's cylinders and
        isn't missing one ! You'll catch on to that real quick on this group.
        You will also learn the difference between BBBS and BBBB. I'll let you
        ponder that for a while to see if you can figure it out.

        As for a miss.....yes it's getting about the time in your bikes Calender
        life to have those issue cropping up. Coils are a known suspect,
        especially "IF" the stock ones are still fitted.

        Yet what you really need to do first is to verify the spark plug leads
        are good before you jump out and drop money on coils.

        Do you have a Haynes or a Triumph Service manual? If not, GET one!

        If you still have the stock Gill Brand Coils fitted, I'd consider
        changing them out. They are a KNOWN FAILURE point on the 1200's. Once
        they start going bad, they don't fix themselves. In the USA Several of
        us (Myself included) have found NOLOGY coils to work best. The way to
        get them quickest and at the BEST price is to call Nology Direct and
        order them via the TELEPHONE. Many people have tried to order via a web
        page and been disappointed because they ordered the wrong parts. The
        call is Free from the USA so why not do business the old fashioned way
        and TALK to a real live person who knows what you need. Their Coils for
        the Trophies are "Plug and Play". There are (2) needed for the Trophy.

        http://www.nology.com/profiremotor.html

        1800 Nology1 (*(665-6491))*

        or: 760-591-0888

        *Nology Engineering, Inc.
        1945 S. Rancho Santa Fe Rd.
        San Marcos, CA 92078 USA*

        The coils will be about $75.00 each including freight.

        If you are in Europe or the UK go with PVL Coils sourced over there.

        Yet the reason for checking the wires is that a bad or failing wire will
        look like a bad coil....If your wire is failing it has the ability to
        ruin a good coil.

        Nology also has spark plug wires. Yet due to the construction, etc I
        would go with Triumph's parts from a "Stealer" for those. Yes "Dealer"
        parts are expensive.....

        Bob Clark
        01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
        Jacksonville, FL

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 2010
          Without knowing a little more about the bike it would be difficult
          to diagnose the misfiring but everybody here knows I've run the gambit in
          tracking down mine. If I had to start all over a do it again here's what I'd
          do.
          1. Open the carb petcocks and see what comes out. If it's rusty water rather
          than petrol I'd totally drain the tank, remove the petcock and fuel gage
          sending unit. Take the cover off the sending unit and clean all the rust out
          of it. Make sure the fuel tap is clean as well. If there's rust in the tank
          I'd clean that as well. If you are real careful you can do a pretty good job
          of cleaning the tank by taping up the holes where petcock and sending unit
          came out of and with lacquer thinner or acetone and sheet metal screws
          loosen all the rust and clean it out. Petrol or kerosene is a little safer
          to the paint.
          2. While I had the tank off I'd look at the coils and see if they are Gills
          or PVL's. PVL's are more robust and available from MotoBins in the UK. Gills
          WILL fail! It's just a matter of when. The PVL's are Plug and Play from
          Motobins. When I got mine they didn't know that.
          3. Check the resistance of the high tension wires. Should be around 5K ohms
          and don't believe a mechanic that says they have an "Air Gap" and you can't
          check the resistance. This is incorrect information for your bike. Common on
          most others however.
          4. If you found a lot of rust in the tank and float bowl drainage you are
          probably going to have to rebuild the carbs. The Haynes manual #2162
          explains how to do it very well.
          5. Once you get it all back together have the carbs synched and air/fuel
          screws set by a professional.
          If you use the search function on the web site and go back over some
          of my posts you'll see all the problems I had with my Trophy getting
          everything set right. Top of the list is HT Leads! (;-)!
          Regards and good luck!

          Ed J.
          EdLJohnson2@...
          2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
          1964 Triumph Bonneville
          Indian Harbour Beach, FL
          Cell - 321/795-4387

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 25, 2010
            I would run the tank almost dry and see what a fresh tank of high grade fuel does. I may just have been standing for a while and is beginning to go off.

            Sound advice but also forgot pick-up sensor. Less common but does happen.

            In the UK coils are the most common failing. In the US, due to your lower grade fuel, coils and fuel seems about equal tie for most common cause of misfires.

            If fresh fuel doesn't work and you want guaranteed trouble free running I would do all suggested in the previous post but also remove, strip and clean the carbs, also including the small filters in the carbs where the fuel hoses connect.

            It could also be a collapsing or trapped vacuum pipe that holds the fuel tap open. Try running the bike on prime but remember to push the tap in to put it in this position - the taps are easily damaged.

            Another failing is a blocked fuel tank breather. Do you hear a whistling sound. This is air trying to force its way into the fuel tank via the filler or the half blocked breather.

            Failing coils usually show themselves between 1500 - 2500 rpm with fairly heavy load and the bike misfires or "stumbles" as you wind the power on. Many bikes have been dropped (mine included) because the bike stalls at low speed and then you try to catch all 255kgs of the beast.

            If you aren't good with spanners and fresh fuel doesn't cure it and it was bought retail get the dealer to fix it. If they say "they're all like that" don't believe them, properly fettled these bikes are stunning and, on standard gearing will pull rock steady from 2000rpm in top gear without hesitation all the way to the red line. Mine even pulls as low as 1500 rpm in top when carbs are set up properly and fully serviced and you can wind the throttle almost wide open without a complaint.

            None of this is hard but it is time consuming.

            Get it right and see what these bikes can do.
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 25, 2010
              Kevin;
              I forgot that you don't have the fuel problems in the UK that we
              have in the states. If I had run my tank dry I would have sucked all the
              muck and water that had settled to the bottom of the tank even further into
              the carburetors. As it was I siphoned it out into my lawn tractor and almost
              blew it up. I then had to siphon it back out of the lawn tractor and clean
              the carburetor on it as well. It would have been easier to have siphoned it
              into my wife's car which was closer and boy am I glad I didn't do that! (;-)
              My bike had been standing a while and ethanol actually attracts
              water which attracts rust which attracts problems!
              I did forget the sensor but mine had just had the sensor replaced so I
              wasn't concerned about it.
              Regards

              Ed J.
              EdLJohnson2@...
              2001 Triumph Trophy 1200
              1964 Triumph Bonneville
              Indian Harbour Beach, FL
              Cell - 321/795-4387

              I would run the tank almost dry and see what a fresh tank of high grade fuel
              does. I may just have been standing for a while and is beginning to go off.
            • graham arthur
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
                Many thanks for info and advice, will take time to digest and use cold weather to get my trophy ready for the alps next year, graham