Re: Need Help Now

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 3, 2010
      yes I did but the gas still looks dark

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Robert <apsllp@...> wrote:

      > Ed:
      >
      > Before you parked the bike, did you put Sta-Bil in the fuel and run it?
      >
      > Bob Clark
      >

      > On 10/3/2010 2:34 AM, Ed wrote:
      > >
      > > Anyone have an idea whats going on?
      > >
      > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:TriumphTrophy%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ed" <waleao@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I just spent over $300 to have my exhaust pipes jet hotted. I have
      > > not ridden the bike in months and I put the pipes back on and went to
      > > start up the bike. I had to run it on 3/4 choke for over 10 minutes to
      > > get it to run and I had to drain the carb pots a few times to get out
      > > the old gas. I was not paying attention but when I checked the right
      > > side I noted that it was shooting out flames when I revved up the
      > > engine. Then I looked at the right side pipe and it was cherry red. I
      > > mean it ruined the brand new chrome jet hot coating in less than 5
      > > minutes. The bike was not running worth a crap. Please tell me what
      > > the hell is wrong. One other thing, the tach did not work and I have
      > > never had a problem with that before. I suspect that the choke is
      > > sticking on the 3 or 4 carb but I am not sure. My next move is to pull
      > > all of the carbs and clean them out, I already cleaned the plugs. Help
      > > me. BTW, before I ruined the coating it looked damn good. Now I have
      > > to pull it off and send it back to be redone.

    • Ed
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 3, 2010
        Damn, I was wanting to show you guys what the pipes looked like after Jet Hot too. Now I have to send the right side back. It was beautiful. I hope I did not put a hole in my piston. THat would suck. I would have to get rid of it.

        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 3, 2010
          If I pull the jets I have to take the carbs out. Either way its a weeks worth of work. Then I have to balance them and sync them and so on. I guess now is as good a time to add the washers you guys are always talking about. That way I have a little more richness if needed.

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 3, 2010
            From one Ed to another; I think it is much easier to remove the throttle
            cable from the handlebars than from the carbs. I did it from the carbs but
            it was extremely difficult getting every back in synch again. Also note
            where your idle screw is set. Mine will only start with a closed throttle
            and if the idle is set in the wrong place it ain't gonna start! (;-)
            HTH
            BTW: When you get the float chamber off, PLEASE look in the bottom and see
            if there is a brass fitting stuck in the bottom of it or rolling around in
            the chamber somewhere. I would really like to resolve that issue with my
            bike.
            Ed J.

            wrote:

            > It's likely the same thing we are all having trouble with when your bike
            sits for a month. The gas is crap. Your idle jets are plugged. You don't
            need to rebuild the entire carb. Just pull the idle jets out, blow them out
            so you can see thru them and put it back together. It is starting to happen
            on a regular basis around here. It's the shite gas.

            > JW
            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <waleao@> wrote:
            > >
            > I noted that it was shooting out flames when I revved up the engine...
            Please tell me what the hell is wrong.

            ------------------------------------

            List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
            agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
            writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
            topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
            except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
            minimum when replying.

            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 3, 2010
              Who has put Diodes on the coils of a Trophy 1200? I heard from Jeff Klein at
              Nology that it was the cure for the tachometer problem on the 1200. I
              sometimes have a tach and I sometimes don't have a tach. I can't find any
              loose connection or ground problem it's just intermittent. Anytime I had an
              intermittent problem when I was a tech I would assign somebody else to it
              because it can be such a PITA!
              I don't have that luxury these days as I now have to pay my own way
              and that sucks but it is what it is!
              Bottom line is that I have an intermittent tach that if someone else
              has cured that problem I would be eager to now what the cure was!
              BTW: I know I must be becoming a real PITA myself but soon I will be riding
              so much that you won't get a response from me for weeeeeeks!
              Regards
              Ed J.
            • Jonathan W
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 4, 2010
                Don't make the job bigger than it is... just pull the choke cable off and pull the carb bank off to the right side and leave it all assembled and hanging vertically. You can pull the bowls off this way and get to the idle jets. You should be able to bolt it all back up and not have to worry about balancing or air screws. (Assuming it was correct before you started this.) If you have a portable fuel supply, hook it all up and start it before you put the whole bike back together. I think you'll find your bike will pur like a kitten again.

                JW

                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 4, 2010
                  The carbs come out the RIGHT SIDE? No wonder it was so much work for me. I
                  took them out the left side.[Fuel Tap Side]
                  Ed J.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 4, 2010
                    Ed -

                    I have a 900, but the two times my tach intermitted on me it was accompanied by loss of power (running on two instead of 3). Are you feeling any power loss? What it turned out to be was, in the process of reassembly, when I slid the gas tank back on, it pushed one of the coil wires (input, low voltage, NOT the high tension lead, off its connector. I fixed the problem from ever reoccurring by soldering the input leads directly to the coil.

                    Bud Izen
                    '99 Platinum 900
                    Turner Oregon

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 4, 2010
                      No loss in power during the tach outage. I DO have a situation that the bike
                      only runs on two cylinders until it warms up but the tach sometimes works
                      during this period and sometimes doesn't. Doesn't seem to be any connection
                      between the two maladies. I've wiggled wires, cleaned connections, and it
                      just sometimes quits when it feels like it and starts working again on it's
                      on whim! I Hate Intermittents! If it would just crap out I could justify
                      replacing it but when it works perfectly part of the time it's sort of like
                      my marriage! Why get a divorce? (;-)
                      Smile at Bend, Salem, Portland, Beaverton,and Eugene for me if and
                      when you go through them! I have some great memories from there!
                      Ed J.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 4, 2010
                        Hi Ed, You're really having a tough time with the carbs. I wish I were there in Florida to lend a hand. Yes, the emulsion tubes have little holes in the sides, 10 little bitty ones. A tooth brush bristle is probably bigger than each hole.
                        The brass thingy screwed into the bottom of the float bowl isn't connected to anything. I'd say it's there as another drain line on some other kind of bike that uses the same carbs. I'd say no worries if it doesn't leak.
                        I like Jack Martin's idea of putting in new or cleaned spark plugs. The tuner may have fouled the plugs while it took so long to get the setup right. Does it need any choke to get started? If not, maybe it's on the rich side.
                        Greg Andrews

                        "Ed Johnson" wrote:
                        the needle jets which are also referred to as emulsion tubes if they have holes in the sides of them. If they have holes in the sides of them they can affect a low rpm stutter if they are plugged. One tech says they don't on this model carb and the other says they do. We don't know without taking the carbs apart again. I'm trying to avoid that
                        Regarding the other brass fittings that were floating around in the
                        float chamber
                      • sam's mail
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 4, 2010
                          Ed,

                          After studying/reworking my carbs, I now believe foreign bits could
                          fall down thru the vent lines. This system has been removed from my
                          beast, with just the tee's facing downward. So I don't have a clue
                          what it consisted of. Nevertheless, there's no doubt bits could fall
                          thru and settle in the float bottoms. Looked to me like bits up to
                          about 3/4 of the size of 177cal BB's could pass. Just my 2 cents, but
                          I suspect that's your route of entry.

                          Sam Crider
                          96 BBBB PB
                          New Orleans

                          On 10/4/10, Greg <gandrews@...> wrote:
                          > Hi Ed, You're really having a tough time with the carbs. I wish I were there
                          > in Florida to lend a hand. Yes, the emulsion tubes have little holes in the
                          > sides, 10 little bitty ones. A tooth brush bristle is probably bigger than
                          > each hole.
                          > The brass thingy screwed into the bottom of the float bowl isn't connected
                          > to anything. I'd say it's there as another drain line on some other kind of
                          > bike that uses the same carbs. I'd say no worries if it doesn't leak.
                          > I like Jack Martin's idea of putting in new or cleaned spark plugs. The
                          > tuner may have fouled the plugs while it took so long to get the setup
                          > right. Does it need any choke to get started? If not, maybe it's on the rich
                          > side.
                          > Greg Andrews
                          >
                          > "Ed Johnson" wrote:
                          > the needle jets which are also referred to as emulsion tubes if they have
                          > holes in the sides of them. If they have holes in the sides of them they can
                          > affect a low rpm stutter if they are plugged. One tech says they don't on
                          > this model carb and the other says they do. We don't know without taking the
                          > carbs apart again. I'm trying to avoid that
                          > Regarding the other brass fittings that were floating around in the
                          > float chamber
                          >

                          > ------------------------------------
                          >
                          > List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
                          > agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
                          > writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
                          > topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
                          > except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
                          > minimum when replying.

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Ed
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 4, 2010
                            Hold on. You mean I do not have to remove the airbox to pull out the carbs? Tell me more. Remember, I am riding a 1200, not a 900. Ed

                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan W" <triumphnutter@...> wrote:

                            > Don't make the job bigger than it is... just pull the choke cable off and pull the carb bank off to the right side and leave it all assembled and hanging vertically. You can pull the bowls off this way and get to the idle jets. You should be able to bolt it all back up and not have to worry about balancing or air screws. (Assuming it was correct before you started this.) If you have a portable fuel supply, hook it all up and start it before you put the whole bike back together. I think you'll find your bike will pur like a kitten again.
                            >
                            > JW
                          • Jerry Everetts
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 4, 2010
                              Carbs have to come out before airbox.

                              <mailto:TriumphTrophy%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jonathan W" <triumphnutter@...>

                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 5, 2010
                                Thanks Greg;
                                Factory Pro has a great page on Carb Tuning
                                http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm
                                _engines.html
                                So I called them. They sell needle jet replacements that are nickel plated
                                so last a bit longer than the brass ones. He said that with as many miles on
                                my bike as I have [90,000] it would probably be a good time to replace them.
                                He also informed me that they had little holes in them but thank you. He
                                didn't think that it was very likely that the little holes were plugged with
                                anything. He was very helpful to talk to BTW and didn't seem in the least
                                eager to sell me something I didn't need or get rid of me in any way. I was
                                impressed and would recommend doing business with them.
                                I think my local tuner was more inclined to have me enlarge the
                                holes a little bit to get rid of my stutter. He suggested taking an old
                                throttle cable and taking just one strand of part of the cable and running
                                it through each hole 10 times. He said that it would be enough friction to
                                remove just enough brass to make them larger and richen up the bottom end
                                where my stutter is. He said that he did it once to another bike but it was
                                a long and tedious process. He said that when these bikes were made [2001]
                                they set them up so lean to pass EPA that it's almost impossible to get them
                                too rich.
                                It is starting better and running better every day so I think I'll
                                just follow Bob Clark's advice and just ride it. I just have to be very
                                careful at low speed so I don't drop it again.
                                Regards
                                Ed J.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 5, 2010
                                  Yes Ed:

                                  Unless your airbox has been modified with the split rear half, YES you
                                  must remove it to get the carbs out on a 1200 BBBB.

                                  Bob Clark
                                  01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                                  Jacksonville, FL

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 5, 2010

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 5, 2010
                                      You must remove the auxiliary air boxes that are attached to the air
                                      box and note that one bolt goes through the battery box so you must remove
                                      the battery to get at it. Be careful you don't strip the hex head. Mine was
                                      and it was a bitch to get out. Then you can slide the air box back as far as
                                      it will go and get the carbs out. I took mine out the left side as it seemed
                                      easier to not botch up the choke cable that way. I also had to remove the
                                      lower part of the left fairing as well. Maybe I didn't have to do that but
                                      there just didn't seem like there was enough room otherwise. I removed the
                                      chin plate above the front wheel and then only half of the fasteners on the
                                      black fairing. There are Torx screws inside the cubby box and under those
                                      little tabs of the grey part.[Which stays on the bike.] Then the fairing
                                      comes off. Learned my lesson the hard way and took the throttle cable off
                                      the carbs instead of at the handlebars. I wouldn't take it off at all.
                                      Unless you have to transport that carb bank somewhere else to have the work
                                      done you can do a great deal of work with the throttle cable still
                                      connected. It just takes some ingenuity.
                                      Hope this helps
                                      Ed J.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 5, 2010
                                        Here's a link to a good instructional on cleaning Mikuni Carbs. These are on
                                        a Suzuki but they are identical to the ones on our 1200's. Good instructions
                                        and pictures.
                                        http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159718
                                        Ed J.
                                      • Rod Gill
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 5, 2010
                                          Hi Folks, just a point onAirbox removal.
                                          I have yet to do the modification however it really has never been a problem for
                                          me. The reason is simple, I Install Kitchen's bathrooms and do general building
                                          works. I have a set of very cheap long ie. 2' Long screwdrivers. They actualy
                                          fit through gaps around the battery box etc and to be honest it is really easy
                                          you can get to the middle screw with ease. Most people try to use short
                                          screwdrivers to get into limited space. If I was installing a or removing a
                                          toilet cistern, I use a long screwdriver, same with adjusting Kitchen door
                                          hinges. Try it you may be supprised

                                          Rod UK

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 5, 2010
                                            I thought so because the 2 times I have done it I had to. I have not split mine nor intend to. I am going to do it tomorrow if people will leave me alone. I have a reputation at repairing computers and I have 3 on my desk to repair this week. Not my trade but I like doing it.