a chain for my 900 '97 by tomorrow ??????

  • anna
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
      I disparately look for a chain for trophy 900 '97 by tomorrow, in london or not to far from the north of it....
      It unbelievable ....looks like a must to wait till next week for the first delivery...
      Any suggestion ....any one with a spare one?????
      help...help ...
      Tony
    • Ken Hastie
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
        I don't think you must be looking very hard; it's a standard chain available
        from any decent bike shop.

        Ken Hastie
        Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
        and D14 Bantams

      • Alec Gore
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
          www.jacklilley.com (Ashford, Middx) will have one, but as Ken says, it's not
          a Triumph-specific part

        • anna
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
            Thanks guy but looks like we dont have any decent bike shop in north london...
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hastie" <ken@...> wrote:

            > I don't think you must be looking very hard; it's a standard chain available
            > from any decent bike shop.
            >

            > Ken Hastie
            > Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
            > and D14 Bantams

          • Ken Hastie
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
              What exactly are you looking for ? What specification are you asking for ?

              I can go to any one of 10 or so bike shops in Newcastle and get a chain that
              suits the application.

              I really don't believe London is that short of bike chains of the correct
              size.

              Ken Hastie
              Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
              and D14 Bantams

            • anna
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
                I have trophy 900 '97 and I live in St Albans. my chain broke when i has transiting in kilburn, fortunately not far to my friend garage, so i pushed it there. Hi told me that can receive the chain, from a deler, not before next week and hi does not know any shop in north london selling it...
                I can not believe it, looks bullshit ...
                So im asking help ... if any one knows a good shop...
                I do not have the specifications !!!

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hastie" <ken@...> wrote:

                > What exactly are you looking for ? What specification are you asking for ?
                >
                > I can go to any one of 10 or so bike shops in Newcastle and get a chain that
                > suits the application.
                >
                > I really don't believe London is that short of bike chains of the correct
                > size.
                >

                > Ken Hastie
                > Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
                > and D14 Bantams

              • Ken Hastie
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010

                  It is. Go to a bike shop (you certainly don't need to go to a Triumph
                  dealer) and ask them to look it up in a suppliers catalogue.

                  It will be on the shelf at most of them.

                  Ken the Geordie SST 13
                  BSA A75R, A10, B40, D10, Triumph Trophy 1200
                • Luther
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
                    Ask for a 530X, 110 links.

                    Here is a list of bike dealers i managed to find from my seat in indiana, usa. Short of flying over and installing it, its the best I can do.
                    Good luck.

                    Luther

                    NORTH LONDON

                    1st Line Motorcycles
                    462-464 Bowes Road
                    Arnos Grove
                    London
                    N11 1NL
                    Tel: 020 8361 5151
                    Fax: 020 8361 3640
                    Email

                    2b's Motorcycles Ltd
                    1a, Blackboy Lane
                    London
                    N15 3AP
                    Tel: 020 8880 2100

                    Bob Thomas Motorcycles
                    201 Regent's Park Road
                    London
                    N3 3LN
                    Tel: 020 8346 4083

                    Checkpoint Motorcycles Ltd
                    29 Downham Road
                    London
                    N1 5AA
                    Tel: 020 7249 1200

                    D.M.C (London) Ltd
                    1 Kingsbury Road
                    London
                    N1 4AZ
                    Tel: 020 7249 2360

                    Essential Rubber
                    27-29 Downham Road
                    London
                    N1 5AA
                    Tel: 020 7241 0055

                    GirlsBike2 North London
                    228 Archway Road
                    Highgate
                    London
                    N6 5AX
                    Tel: 020 8340 6503
                    Email

                    Renaissance Restorations
                    Cybil Mews
                    1-13 Lothair Road North
                    London
                    N4 1EW
                    Tel: 020 8347 5384

                    Scooter Planet Ltd
                    135 Ballards Lane
                    London
                    N3 1LJ
                    Tel: 020 8346 9200

                    Sondel Sport Ltd
                    28-32 Highbury Corner
                    London
                    N5 1RD
                    Tel: 0207 700 0310
                    Fax: 0207 609 4216
                    Email

                    Terry's Bikes
                    Unit 3, Maple Place
                    Park Lane
                    London
                    N17 0JP
                    Tel: 020 8808 8118

                    The London Scooter Body Shop
                    29a Cobble Lane
                    London
                    N1 1QB
                    Tel: 020 7226 3238

                    Top

                    NORTH WEST LONDON

                    Bikerbility (UK) Ltd
                    Unit 3
                    London Group Business Park
                    715 North Circular Road
                    London NW2 7AH
                    Tel: 0208 450 9779

                    Maitland Motorcycles Ltd
                    112 Camden Road
                    London
                    NW1 9EE
                    Tel: 020 7267 2895

                    RAP Superbikes
                    15 Rosemont Road
                    London
                    NW3 6NG
                    Tel. 020 7794 9997
                    Tel: 020 7794 3770
                    Email

                    Slocombes
                    46-52 Dudden Hill Lane
                    Willesden
                    London NW10 1DG
                    Tel: 020 8830 1000
                    Fax: 0208 830 2222
                    Email

                    Speedy's Motorcycle Centre
                    195a Kilburn High Road
                    London
                    NW6 5
                    Tel: 020 8969 3344

                    SOS Motorcycle Tyres
                    120 Camley Street
                    London
                    NW1 0PG
                    Tel: 020 7284 1811

                    Victory Motorcycles
                    49 Kentish Town Road
                    London
                    NW1 8NX
                    Tel: 020 7284 2071
                  • anna
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
                      Tomorrow i will call some of them i find on google.... do u know the cain specification????
                      or i can just tell them the bike model and year????
                      Many thanks to all of you !!!!

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
                        Thanks Luter.....looks like my friend at the garage is a bit useless !!!

                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Luther" <ltgesq@...> wrote:

                        > Ask for a 530X, 110 links.
                        >
                        > Here is a list of bike dealers i managed to find from my seat in indiana, usa. Short of flying over and installing it, its the best I can do.
> [...]
                      • townjg
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
                          The make/model/year should be all they need. If not, the specs I find for the 1997 Trophy 900 are a 110 link, size 530 chain. Any quality O or X ring chain will do.

                          I guess I should point out now that you'll be needing a rivet tool to attach the master link. And make sure the new chain includes a master link. And a breaker to get the old chain off. That's assuming the current chain is not using a clip link. The chances of finding a clip link on a big bike like a Trophy are pretty slim. But, even with a clip link, it'll take some work to get the old chain off.

                          A breaker runs around $20ish, a riveter around $60.

                          And you may want (or need) to change the sprockets while you're at it. Check the sprocket wear before you go buy the chain. I don't know the stock number of teeth on the 1997 900 but a parts shop should be able to look it up. I think the older Triumphs tended to have fewer front teeth and more rear teeth than later models. And, like the chain, there's nothing "Triumph exclusive" about the sprockets. The shop should be able to suggest a number of options. In fact, I think there's an excel spreadsheet in the group files section that will let you calculate alternative sprocket tooth combinations that will result in the same gearing as the original setup (assuming you need sprockets and have trouble finding an exact match).

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
                            I just realized you can probably ignore that part about getting the chain off. If that were an issue, you wouldn't be desperately looking for a new one. :)

                            Jamie

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010

                              I know you should have one, but my last two chains were installed using two
                              big hammers to peen the rivets. My mate held one through the spokes and I
                              applied the impact force from the other side.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
                                I'm gonna go ahead and imagine that as a 3 Stooges sketch. :D

                                And I'll admit I removed my first chain with a hacksaw because I hadn't considered that part of the operation before I started, I didn't have a bolt cutter, and the shop was closed. But I'd started the job and I was darn well going to finish it.

                                I guess I should say, "A rivet tool will simplify the process of securing the master link."

                                Jamie

                              • nort75mk3@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
                                  Jamie,,,,, Your giving the poor sole information overload. He has a hard
                                  time just finding a chain let alone removing and installing one,,,,,,,, One
                                  step at a time .... ;>))

                                  Tim

                                • Gary
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 22, 2010
                                    On yer Triumph in aston clinton nr aylesbury ( only 30 miles nth ) or metropolis in vauxhall central london ( about 6 miles south of kilburn ). Both main Triumph dealers or S&B in Hendon ( about 4 miles )who specialise in Brit iron. Good luck.

                                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "anna" <worowsky@...> wrote:

                                    > I have trophy 900 '97 and I live in St Albans. my chain broke when i has transiting in kilburn, fortunately not far to my friend garage, so i pushed it there. Hi told me that can receive the chain, from a deler, not before next week and hi does not know any shop in north london selling it...
                                    > I can not believe it, looks bullshit ...
                                    > So im asking help ... if any one knows a good shop...
                                    > I do not have the specifications !!!
                                    >
                                    > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hastie" <ken@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > What exactly are you looking for ? What specification are you asking for ?
                                    > >
                                    > > I can go to any one of 10 or so bike shops in Newcastle and get a chain that
                                    > > suits the application.
                                    > >
                                    > > I really don't believe London is that short of bike chains of the correct
                                    > > size.
                                    > >

                                    > > Ken Hastie
                                    > > Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
                                    > > and D14 Bantams

                                  • Richard
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 23, 2010
                                      The Trophy is equipped with an X type continuous chain and this type should ALWAYS be used. The Trophy manual states that you should replace drive chain with an endless type. This would involve dismantling the swing arm, so it is a real pain to replace. Many owners fit a chain with a riveted link, which involves a riveting tool. Some owners use a spring clip, but this method is not recommended for a bike of this power.
                                      All the info is in the folder named
                                      "Sprocket gearing from Rick Willmore" in the files section.

                                      Richard
                                    • Luther
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 23, 2010
                                        If you use an endless chain rather than a riveted one, then you're the only motorcyclist I know to do that. A 530 x ring riveted chain is strong enough for any bike using a chain.

                                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <chayside@...> wrote:

                                        > The Trophy is equipped with an X type continuous chain and this type should ALWAYS be used. The Trophy manual states that you should replace drive chain with an endless type. This would involve dismantling the swing arm, so it is a real pain to replace. Many owners fit a chain with a riveted link, which involves a riveting tool. Some owners use a spring clip, but this method is not recommended for a bike of this power.
                                        > All the info is in the folder named
                                        > "Sprocket gearing from Rick Willmore" in the files section.
                                        >
                                        > Richard

                                      • Robert
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 23, 2010
                                          There is a word (name) for that

                                          On 9/22/2010 11:22 PM, nort75mk3@... wrote:

                                          > Jamie,,,,, Your giving the poor sole information overload. He has a hard
                                          > time just finding a chain let alone removing and installing
                                          > one,,,,,,,, One
                                          > step at a time .... ;>))
                                          >

                                          > Tim

                                        • Simon Walker
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 23, 2010
                                            I bought my last chain from On Yer Triumph, near Aylesbury. It was a
                                            riveted link job and I'm pretty sure it came in a Triumph box.

                                            Regards,
                                            Simon.
                                            BBBB
                                            Pacific Blue