Re: [TriumphTrophy] 2000 Triumph Trophy turns over but will not start.

  • BWG3COY@aol.com
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 1, 2010
      Couple of simple things
      1. Hold Clutch lever in and see if it runs
      2. the Kickstand switch may be faulty

      John Bonnewell. Secretary Blue Knights Wales ll

      _http://blueknightswales2.weebly.com_
      (http://blueknightswales2.weebly.com/)

      Mike Scarborogh for Int Sec
      Elect Glen Wheat for BOG - Vice Chairman".

      trapfish@... writes:

      I am sooooooo hoping it's something simple. I was hoping I could learn an
      easy trick to getting this thing running. It seems unlikely that a safety
      switch would suddenly fail. My experience has demonstrated that these
      switches have prefailures before a total failure, but I will have to check
      them. I don't think it's the battery either. It recharged normally and
      seemed to have LOTS of power. I shined the battery posts and the battery
      cable leads. I also tried jumping it with a deepcycle 12 volt marine
      battery. It spun better, but not hugely better. I know a deepcycle battery
      isn't ideal for this, but it was sitting right there, so I hooked it up and
      tried it for a couple seconds, a couple times with the exact same results.
      Not even a pop. So for the sake of argument, if it's not the battery, and
      it's not the switches, and it's not the gas, and it's not the new
      plugs,...where else should I look?? I know the coils on these bikes are
      junk, but can they fail when the key is inadvertently left on???
      Thanks guys,
      Travis

    • Ron Willoughby
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 5, 2010
        Like I said,Bud,I always figured the "damage the ignition" was just a rumor
        that somehow got started since I see no way that could harm anything.Besides
        it would be pretty stupid for a company to have a system where using the
        kill switch would damage anything

        Actually that has been around as true for quite awhile. You may remember before
        electronic ignitions that leaving the the power on would in many cases burn
        points systems.