Time clock

  • bigtone
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 13, 2010
      Has anyone else ever had trouble with the clock. Mine sometimes goes & keeps good time, sometimes it just doesn't go at all. I know it sounds like a bad connection, but where to look? I have battery voltage on the supply terminal. Best regards, Tony.
    • John F
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 13, 2010
        Hey Tony,
        Mine does the same thing. If I keep the battery on the tender then the clock keeps pretty good time. If I don't put the battery on the charger then the clock is way off the next morning. My battery is 3 years old.

        Others have reported the same problem with their clock. I have also heard that a new battery sometimes fixes this problem. I have decided to accept this as a personality quirk of my Big Green Beast. I'll be putting in a new battery next spring.
      • Jacques, Martin, VF-Group
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 13, 2010
          I vaguely recall hearing that a failing main battery will cause the
          clock to stop working. When the battery drops below a certain voltage
          perhaps.

          Martin

        • William Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 13, 2010
            Tony,

            I have the exact problem with my 99 Trophy. The clock keeps perfect time
            once set and I am riding. Then it will keep the time all day. However if I
            shut it off overnight I need to set it the next time I start off. I just
            accept it as a quirk of the bike. And my bike is always on the battery
            tender when parked at my home.

            Regards,

            Bill

          • nigel keating
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 13, 2010
              I read about this fix on here some years ago now and haven't had any trouble
              since.

              The screws that hold the contacts extend onto the circuit board where they
              are held by a nut which is the only thing
              making contact to the clock circuitry. The connection works loose causing an
              intermittent fault. I think the vibration whilst riding actually helps to
              keep the contact. To fix it carefully bend the chrome bezel ring at the
              bottom so the clock can be separated from the plastic housing. Then tighten
              and even solder the nut to the bracket. If you are careful the chewed up
              bezel will not be visible when back in the clock holder.

              Nigel Keating

              99 BBBB NW UK

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 13, 2010
                Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'll try Nigel's permanent cure. Best regards, Tony.

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "nigel keating" <nigelpk@...> wrote:

                > I read about this fix on here some years ago now
              • Jim A
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 13, 2010
                  I performed this fix about 45,000 miles ago and never had a clock problem since.

                  Jim A
                  '99 1200

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "nigel keating" <nigelpk@...> wrote:

                  > I read about this fix on here some years ago now and haven't had any trouble
                  > since.
                  >

                  > The screws that hold the contacts extend onto the circuit board where they
                  > are held by a nut which is the only thing
                  > making contact to the clock circuitry. The connection works loose causing an
                  > intermittent fault. I think the vibration whilst riding actually helps to
                  > keep the contact. To fix it carefully bend the chrome bezel ring at the
                  > bottom so the clock can be separated from the plastic housing. Then tighten
                  > and even solder the nut to the bracket. If you are careful the chewed up
                  > bezel will not be visible when back in the clock holder.
                  >

                  > Nigel Keating
                  >
                  > 99 BBBB NW UK
                • daverider06
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 14, 2010
                    When I bought my 96 new in 99 the clock didn't work at all. The dealer replaced the clocks internal battery and it has worked fine since.(11 yrs) Dave
                  • bigtone
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 15, 2010
                      Hi Nigel, I tried your fix for the clock yesterday. What a struggle to get the chrome bezel off, as shown by the bloodstains on my bench! That ring is really sharp. Anyway the nuts holding the contacts to the board were tight, so it wasn't that, but while the clock was open I touched all the soldered joints with a soldering iron. It has now been running for 20hours, overnight & riding to work, so maybe it was just a dry joint on the PCB. Best regards, Tony.