Great Biking Roads

  • andrewc1200
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2010
      Ride magazine recently had an article about the best biking roads in the UK and Europe as chosen by readers. Being a sad git I've put them onto Google maps and Ride have agreed that I can make them public.

      Best British Biking Roads: -
      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=54.531568,-1.843665&spn=13.39395,41.176758&z=5

      Best European Biking roads: -
      http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=york&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=44.208984,7.822796&spn=16.501004,41.176758&z=5

      Happy biking!

      Andrew
      2002 BBBB Platinum
    • Buddy
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
        The last time I took the carbs off for routine adjustments, the foam rubber heat shield, through which pass the various throttle lines etc., fell apart so I left it off. Not a great idea.

        Problem is trying to replace it. I cannot seem to find a part number on bike bandit. Someone must have the part number, and I'd certainly appreciate both the part number and knowing what callout it appears on. If anyone has a good source, that would also be appreciated.

        Thanks in advance!

        Bud Izen
        '99 Platinum 900
        Turner OR
      • JimB
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
          Hi, Bud.........I checked Bike Bandit, just to be sure, and it looks like they're listed under the fuel tank section; # 22 & 23 I believe.

          Hope that's what you're looking for: Jim

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
            Hey Buddy,
            Do you suppose you could make new foam rubber shields out of one
            of those inexpensive "Ensolite" sleeping pads that backpackers use?
            They are very cheap, and are available at just about any sporting
            goods store (1/2" thick X 22" wide X 6' long). You'll only use a
            small piece of the foam, but there are a thousand uses for this kind
            of closed cell foam padding you'll have left over.
            On Jun 1, 2010, at 12:22 PM, Buddy wrote:

            > The last time I took the carbs off for routine adjustments, the
            > foam rubber heat shield, through which pass the various throttle
            > lines etc., fell apart so I left it off. Not a great idea.
            >
            > Problem is trying to replace it. I cannot seem to find a part
            > number on bike bandit. Someone must have the part number, and I'd
            > certainly appreciate both the part number and knowing what callout
            > it appears on. If anyone has a good source, that would also be
            > appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks in advance!
            >
            > Bud Izen
            > '99 Platinum 900
            > Turner OR

          • Buddy
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
              Thanks Jim, but that's not it. First of all, it's a single piece, not two pieces, and Sprint Mfg, from whom I just got an email, does not indicate the part number, but says there are two versions - one for the triple and one for the 1200, so those two pieces can't be it. I believe what you found are the heat shields that go underneath the tank itself. Thanks for trying.

              Still looking for that part #.

              Bud

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "JimB" <trophyfour@...> wrote:

              > Hi, Bud.........I checked Bike Bandit, just to be sure, and it looks like they're listed under the fuel tank section; # 22 & 23 I believe.
              >
              > Hope that's what you're looking for: Jim
              >
              > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Buddy" <budizen@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The last time I took the carbs off for routine adjustments, the foam rubber heat shield, through which pass the various throttle lines etc., fell apart so I left it off. Not a great idea.
              > >
              > > Problem is trying to replace it. I cannot seem to find a part number on bike bandit. Someone must have the part number, and I'd certainly appreciate both the part number and knowing what callout it appears on. If anyone has a good source, that would also be appreciated.
            • Jacques, Martin, VF-Group
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                Just been through my parts fiche page by page, as that bit is a real git to find. It is in the "Bodywork - Cockpit Area" section, it is part number T3660087 and is called "SEAL, CAM COVER COWL". A whopping £5.24 on this side of the pond.

                Martin

                03 1200, 44k miles, Bath - UK

              • Buddy
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2010
                  Thanks, Martin -

                  That's it. I believe, and of course the only area that I didn't look through sufficiently thoroughly (isn't that always the way?). Anyway, thank you very much.

                  I think, in hindsight, I probably should have considered making another one. Two things went wrong with that. First, I didn't realize that the piece had a useful purpose other than holding and guiding the various cables. Second, it broke in several pieces and I threw it away a while ago, thus no chance to create a cutting template.

                  On the other hand, once I receive my new one (already ordered), I'll be glad to trace it for anyone wanting to try to make one as Poppa Jack suggested.

                  As always, you guys are great when it comes to helping out. Thanks again to everyone who had a thought for me.

                  Bud Izen
                  '99 Platinum 900
                  Turner Oregon

                  << It is in the "Bodywork - Cockpit Area" section, it is part number T3660087 and is called "SEAL, CAM COVER COWL". A whopping £5.24 on this side of the pond.
                • bodger barclay
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
                    That should leave plenty of choice then!

                    Ride magazine recently had an article about the best biking roads in the UK
                    and Europe as chosen by readers. Being a sad git
                  • Ken Hastie
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010

                      So how does it work? All I get is a road map with no roads marked ?

                      Ken Hastie
                      Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
                      and D14 Bantams

                    • bodger barclay
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                        as I said - plenty of choice

                        so Ken you show your true colours - u post under the previous
                        post.......brrrrrrr.......

                      • andrewc1200
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 11, 2010
                          Sorry Ken,
                          Try this link: -
                          http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=york&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=54.531568,-1.843665&spn=13.39395,41.176758&t=h&z=5

                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hastie" <ken@...> wrote:

                          > So how does it work? All I get is a road map with no roads marked ?

                        • philipwallington
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 11, 2010
                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "andrewc1200" <ajbc11@...> wrote:

                            > Sorry Ken,
                            > Try this link: -
                            > http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=york&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=54.531568,-1.843665&spn=13.39395,41.176758&t=h&z=5

                            No Andrew - we're still not seeing the fruits of your labours!

                            Assuming you've created a dedicated googlemap for this, what you need to do is open it but not copy the address from your browser bar - instead, hit the 'link' button on the right hand side of the screen and then copy the email or IM address from the box. That should let us all see the routes - give it a try

                            Philip
                          • andrewc1200
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 12, 2010
                              Thanks Philip,
                              That's what I've been doing but it's difficult to test on my computer as it 'knows' the links. I've tried again below!

                              Best British Biking Roads
                              http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=york&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=54.531568,-1.91554&spn=13.39395,41.176758&z=5

                              Best European Biking Roads
                              http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=york&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=44.208984,7.822796&spn=16.501004,41.176758&z=5

                              Hoping it works this time and looking forward to seeing which ones everyone thinks have been left out.

                              > Happy biking!
                              >
                              > Andrew
                              > 2002 BBBB Platinum

                            • philipwallington
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 12, 2010
                                No, sorry Andrew - still no joy. Both come out as blank maps with 'york' in the search window - and you can see this in the address line. You should get a link address like this one http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=p&oe=UTF8&msa=0&z=10&msid=101958211204921137274.00046af921410afa6b165

                                From several I've looked at the '/ms?hl...' bit seems to be a common feature. Come on - give it one last try - I'm sure it can't be just me that's interested to see them.

                                Philip