Arctic Moto Update (Trophy Troubles)

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 36 , May 4, 2010
      Bought a SPOT (Satellite Personal Tracker) a couple weeks ago. The service is kinda expensive, but I felt I needed it. It works well.

      Encountered a potential show-stopper this past weekend.

      After the missed opportunity to use the Ozark Raid as my shake down test, I decided to head East this past weekend to meet some friends at the Appalachian Moto-Guzzi Rally in Eastern Ohio. Overall is was an excellent weekend and I learned a few things, what works, what doesn't, what needs to change, etc. I could go into this further, but its not that important right now. Saturday morning we packed up and head South, chasing blue skies in WV.

      Later in the day on Saturday though, things started taking a turn for the worse. My fuel mileage took a dive. Rather than the upper-30's/low-40's that are what I consider the 'Norm' for my Trophy (using 10% ethanol), I was seeing upper-20's/low-30's. It got progressively worse. Sunday was rough. The rain complicated things. By mid-afternoon on Sunday, the Trophy was in bad shape. I should have called in reinforcements to come and evacuate me, but I managed to limp the last 200 miles home. My last fuel stop was 5.4gal, and I had only gone 92-miles.

      I'm not sure what's up. My initial thinking was a coil, but this is different than the typical coil problems I've seen before. I fear that it is something serious. I've pulled the tank and looked things over, but whatever it is it's not jumping out at me as the obvious cause. It's going to take some effort on my part. I've just not had the chance to dig any deeper. I hope it's a coil. Those aren't cheap, but if I can get my hands on one or two, that would be an easy fix.

      Time is running out. I have less than two months before my expected departure. I guess I could always fall back on the Backup Plan. Oh wait, I don't have a Backup Plan! I'm not sure if I'm going to get my Trophy troubles resolved before then, and I'm actually considering using my 32yr/old Suzuki as the "Backup Plan" (how crazy would that be??).

      Tom (SW Ohio)
      http://arcticmoto.shutterfly.com
    • Tom
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 21, 2010
        Spoke with my local dealer this morning. I ordered a set of float assemblies for it. They're $48/ea(x4). That's the last of the components that I can replace. He expects them to be in on Thursday. I'll hop on a bike and make the two hour round trip to get them, reassemble the carbs, reassemble the bike, tune, mount tires, front brake pads, pack, and be on the road within a couple days. What can possibly go wrong??? Hehe...