was: possible suspension damage after fall, Now: front brakes(or forks?) juddering up and down - The Cure

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2010
      G:

      It's not your forks.......I've seen this several times on several bikes
      that have sat for a period of time. It's not uncommon for a neglected bike.

      Try replacing the front brake pads first. Then look at Brake Rotors.
      Yes sometimes when a bike sits for a long time they get crud / corrosion
      on the Brake Rotor or collected in brake pads. If you want you can try
      taking off the rotors and cleaning them with scotchbrite and then again
      with brake cleaner. NOTE: This can't be done on the bike or with the
      rotor mounted to the wheel.

      Although, if you are this far into the job. It may just be easier to
      replace the rotors. At 12K miles you've probably got some wear already.
      Performance aftermarket drilled / Groved rotors are not that expensive.
      Likewise, OEM rotors are expensive (and probably not any better quality)
      By all means, Do not re-use the old brake pads.....While you are in
      there, be sure to clean the brake caliper pucks and pins. When you
      re-assemble the calipers, be sure to lube the pins with the recommended
      lubricant. also make sure to cover anything that is painted and replace
      the brake fluid. It's usually best to pump the fluid up to get all of
      the air out. Just be very careful no to let any brake fluid get on any
      of the plastic or the paint. It will ruin both in less than a few seconds.

      This will cure your problem and have you in good shape for a long time.
      You will be amazed at how much better your brakes work and feel.

      Here is a link to the EBC rotor page:
      http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/x_and_xc_series_fully_floating_disc_rotor/index.shtml

      In the UK you can find them here: http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/index.asp

      On this side of the pond you can find them at:
      http://www.ebcbrakes.com/asplocator/usa-mc-locator.asp

      Best Regards,

      Bob Clark
      01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
      Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA

      On 5/1/2010 2:54 AM, G wrote:

      > Insurance wrote bike off - so...I have just bought another Trophy 900
      > - 1999 and 12k miles and only 400 miles in last 2 years as evidenced
      > by MOTs. As I brake to a standstill the front brakes(or forks?) judder
      > up and down in fairly slow movements - I wonder if anything to do with
      > lying around in a garage for so long andsomething seized - thoughts
      > anyone (ps disks seem fine and meat on pads)
      >
      > -

    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2010
        Just have to add my two cents worth. These are supposed to be floating
        rotors, meaning self centering to some extent. If you closely at the
        rotors you'll see that between the braking portion and the mounting part
        there are large washers and rivet like retainers. that allows the
        braking portion to shift slightly on those pins. If the bike has sat for
        a long time those small gaps can naturally rust and not allow the rotors
        to move. Take a look at that before you buy new ones. I had a little
        pulsating in my brakes and I cleaned and oiled (very small amount ) and
        the problem went away.
        Denny

        > It's not your forks.......I've seen this several times on several bikes
        > that have sat for a period of time. It's not uncommon for a neglected
        > bike.
        >
        > Try replacing the front brake pads first. Then look at Brake Rotors.
        > Yes sometimes when a bike sits for a long time they get crud / corrosion
        > on the Brake Rotor or collected in brake pads. If you want you can try
        > taking off the rotors and cleaning them with scotchbrite and then again
        > with brake cleaner. NOTE: This can't be done on the bike or with the
        > rotor mounted to the wheel.

      • G
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2010
          Thanks for advice, which I will use. Also just noticed after a 6 mile
          ride the rear disc is very hot (too hot to touch for more than a few
          seconds) while the front discs just warm (and I am using both with
          harder braking with front)) - is this normal?