Re: possible suspension damage after fall - any ideas?

  • G
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2010
      Insurance wrote bike off - so...I have just bought another Trophy 900 - 1999 and 12k miles and only 400 miles in last 2 years as evidenced by MOTs. As I brake to a standstill the front brakes(or forks?) judder up and down in fairly slow movements - I wonder if anything to do with lying around in a garage for so long andsomething seized - thoughts anyone (ps disks seem fine and meat on pads)

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "G" <garyn_uk@...> wrote:

      > Ian thanks for below - very useful - and makes sense as the handlebars
      > were a little off centre when i drove the bike home with a very bent
      > brake lever - insurers repaiur company are picking up bike tomorrow and
      > i will mention this to them - nb got a suzuki bandit 1250 free hire on
      > my insurance and gosh after the trrophy it feels so small
      >

      > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Ellison" <ian@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi - yesterday a lorry driver clipped my parked Trophy on its
      > > > centre stand and sent it crashing down on its right hand side.
      > > > Apart from losts of fairing damage and a bent frontbrake lever,
      > > > something has happended to the ride in that as I drove home and
      > > > went over any road bump it felt like the suspension was not
      > > > properly working and I could feel a bit of a jolt - does anyone
      > > > have any thoughts on what it could be?
      > >
      > > Sorry to hear that - hope he is paying for the damage!
      > >
      > > I would have thought twisted forks the most likely problem in that
      > scenario.
      > > If it just fell over I doubt anything was physically damaged though it
      > would
      > > be wise to get it checked; if the forks are twisted then loosening the
      > yoke
      > > clapms will allow you to straighten it out. If in doubt, take it to a
      > pro.
      > >
      > > HTH
      > >
      > > IanE

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2010
        G:

        It's not your forks.......I've seen this several times on several bikes
        that have sat for a period of time. It's not uncommon for a neglected bike.

        Try replacing the front brake pads first. Then look at Brake Rotors.
        Yes sometimes when a bike sits for a long time they get crud / corrosion
        on the Brake Rotor or collected in brake pads. If you want you can try
        taking off the rotors and cleaning them with scotchbrite and then again
        with brake cleaner. NOTE: This can't be done on the bike or with the
        rotor mounted to the wheel.

        Although, if you are this far into the job. It may just be easier to
        replace the rotors. At 12K miles you've probably got some wear already.
        Performance aftermarket drilled / Groved rotors are not that expensive.
        Likewise, OEM rotors are expensive (and probably not any better quality)
        By all means, Do not re-use the old brake pads.....While you are in
        there, be sure to clean the brake caliper pucks and pins. When you
        re-assemble the calipers, be sure to lube the pins with the recommended
        lubricant. also make sure to cover anything that is painted and replace
        the brake fluid. It's usually best to pump the fluid up to get all of
        the air out. Just be very careful no to let any brake fluid get on any
        of the plastic or the paint. It will ruin both in less than a few seconds.

        This will cure your problem and have you in good shape for a long time.
        You will be amazed at how much better your brakes work and feel.

        Here is a link to the EBC rotor page:
        http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/x_and_xc_series_fully_floating_disc_rotor/index.shtml

        In the UK you can find them here: http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/index.asp

        On this side of the pond you can find them at:
        http://www.ebcbrakes.com/asplocator/usa-mc-locator.asp

        Best Regards,

        Bob Clark
        01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
        Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA

        On 5/1/2010 2:54 AM, G wrote:

        > Insurance wrote bike off - so...I have just bought another Trophy 900
        > - 1999 and 12k miles and only 400 miles in last 2 years as evidenced
        > by MOTs. As I brake to a standstill the front brakes(or forks?) judder
        > up and down in fairly slow movements - I wonder if anything to do with
        > lying around in a garage for so long andsomething seized - thoughts
        > anyone (ps disks seem fine and meat on pads)
        >
        > -

      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2010
          Just have to add my two cents worth. These are supposed to be floating
          rotors, meaning self centering to some extent. If you closely at the
          rotors you'll see that between the braking portion and the mounting part
          there are large washers and rivet like retainers. that allows the
          braking portion to shift slightly on those pins. If the bike has sat for
          a long time those small gaps can naturally rust and not allow the rotors
          to move. Take a look at that before you buy new ones. I had a little
          pulsating in my brakes and I cleaned and oiled (very small amount ) and
          the problem went away.
          Denny

          > It's not your forks.......I've seen this several times on several bikes
          > that have sat for a period of time. It's not uncommon for a neglected
          > bike.
          >
          > Try replacing the front brake pads first. Then look at Brake Rotors.
          > Yes sometimes when a bike sits for a long time they get crud / corrosion
          > on the Brake Rotor or collected in brake pads. If you want you can try
          > taking off the rotors and cleaning them with scotchbrite and then again
          > with brake cleaner. NOTE: This can't be done on the bike or with the
          > rotor mounted to the wheel.

        • G
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2010
            Thanks for advice, which I will use. Also just noticed after a 6 mile
            ride the rear disc is very hot (too hot to touch for more than a few
            seconds) while the front discs just warm (and I am using both with
            harder braking with front)) - is this normal?