1999 Trophy 1200 Fuel Mileage

  • fuzz2slayer
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 9, 2010
      I have just recently experienced a dramatic reduction in my fuel mileage, from around 39-42 average with a high of 46 mpg on a highway trip, to just over 29 mpg with a high of 32 mpg. I have given a full tune up, new wires, coils, air box, fuel lines, and am trying to determine whre next to look. The bike starts fine, runs well and pulls like a tractor as always, no missing, sputtering, or any other rideabilty issues, just the loss of MPG.

      anyone have any advice to assist?

      Thank you in advance
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 9, 2010
        Yep many of us are seeing the same thing. It's not the bikes.

        Where do you live, and are you using "Ethanol" Enhanced fuel? If you are
        you will see approximatly a 30% reduction in fuel economy. It also
        means you will need to clean your filters soon.

        Ethanol in the fuel means you will use 30% more fuel to go the same
        difference.

        Bob Clark
        01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
        Jacksonville, Fl / Augusta, GA
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 9, 2010
          Ethanol........Corn Squeezins are for Drinkin.....not burnin

          fuzz2slayer wrote:

          > I have just recently experienced a dramatic reduction in my fuel
          > mileage, from around 39-42 average with a high of 46 mpg on a highway
          > trip, to just over 29 mpg with a high of 32 mpg. I have given a full
          > tune up, new wires, coils, air box, fuel lines, and am trying to
          > determine whre next to look. The bike starts fine, runs well and pulls
          > like a tractor as always, no missing, sputtering, or any other
          > rideabilty issues, just the loss of MPG.
          >
          > anyone have any advice to assist?
          >
          > Thank you in advance
          >
          > _

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 9, 2010
            I meant to type "Distance" not difference

            sorry it's late

            Bob

            > Ethanol in the fuel means you will use 30% more fuel to go the same
            > difference.

          • Jacques, Martin, VF-Group
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
              If the bike still runs and pulls well, with no rideability issues, I
              think you have to be looking at a fuel leak somewhere. Probably small,
              and probably only when the engine is running and the fuel tap is getting
              vacuum. Is it possible one of your new fuel lines is not a tight enough
              fit?

              If it is possible that the bike performance has deteriorated slowly over
              a long time, such that you have not *perceived* any running/power
              issues, then you've addressed the most likely - air filter, coils etc.
              What about brakes binding on? Did you change the spark plugs, and if so,
              what did the old ones look like? Failing that, I think you need to have
              the carbs off, strip, examine and clean. Blocked jets, badly set fuel
              bowl level or perished/torn diaphragm rubbers will mean you need to use
              more throttle for a given amount of power.

              Martin

            • John Evans
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                Bob wrote:

                > Ethanol in the fuel means you will use 30% more fuel to go the same
                > difference.

                This isn't entirely true unless your "enhanced" fuel is E85 or higher (85% ethanol 15% mineral gasoline).  In the UK petrol can contain up to 5% ethanol and in the US up to 10%.  Ethanol has approximately 20% lower energy per unit volume than gasoline but also requires advanced timing to get the best out of it.  As such the worst you are likely to see is perhaps a 5% reduction in performance (power and fuel consumption) in the US and probably 3% in the UK.

                Ethanol has other unfortunate properties though such as being hydrophilic and absorbing quite large quantities of water which can speed up corrosion or drop out of solution in the tank but nothing that would explain such a big change.

                Given the above, the drop that the OP mentioned in fuel consumption will have a more bike related cause than the fuel.  My guess is either a leak or a significant richening of the fuel mixture entering the engine.  Given previous posts on the subject I would suggest that (assuming the OP is in the US) that the bike was running lean possibly due to poor lines / blocked air filter etc and now the bike is running slightly rich and within the fuel consumption band others have mentioned...

                Cheers

                JohnE

              • Robert
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                  No offense John:

                  Here in Florida the drivers with cars running gasoline are seeing that
                  they need to put in 20-near 30% more fuel to go the same distance in
                  their cars. I have 2 cars and my Triumph that both suffer the same fate.
                  The ONLY car that I have that did not suffer the reduction in Fuel
                  Economy is my Diesel Jetta. I have tracked every fuel purchase in our
                  cars since he day they were new. When you plot the data, it's very easy
                  to see the change to Ethanol enhanced fuel. As for the Ethanol content.
                  It's not that exact a science. At the fuel terminals they put fuel in
                  the tanker truck and then dump a Percentage in the truck on top of the
                  fuel. The Fuel companies here do not have the ability to Pre-Blend it
                  yet. Hence, why we can go to certain marinas and buy "sober" Non-Ethanol
                  Gas for the boats. When you use Ethanol enhanced fuel in your boat, you
                  need to plan on reduced range by approximately 25%. Ethanol is a BIG
                  mistake. It also kills fuel systems and rubber parts in the systems.
                  This is also why it has been Banned for use by aircraft.

                  Now understand no one is modifying ignition timing on those vehicles
                  that are not computerized to do so themselves. Only the latest of
                  computer controlled vehicles have the ability to adjust timing. And most
                  of those have variable valve timing and fuel injection also. None of
                  those features appear on our Trophies.

                  Bob Clark
                  01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                  Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA (for now anyway)

                  John Evans wrote:

                  > Bob wrote:
                  >
                  > > Ethanol in the fuel means you will use 30% more fuel to go the same
                  > > difference.
                  >
                  > This isn't entirely true unless your "enhanced" fuel is E85 or higher
                  > (85% ethanol 15% mineral gasoline). In the UK petrol can contain up to
                  > 5% ethanol and in the US up to 10%. Ethanol has approximately 20%
                  > lower energy per unit volume than gasoline but also requires advanced
                  > timing to get the best out of it. As such the worst you are likely to
                  > see is perhaps a 5% reduction in performance (power and fuel
                  > consumption) in the US and probably 3% in the UK.
                  >
                  > Ethanol has other unfortunate properties though such as being
                  > hydrophilic and absorbing quite large quantities of water which can
                  > speed up corrosion or drop out of solution in the tank but nothing
                  > that would explain such a big change.
                  >
                  > Given the above, the drop that the OP mentioned in fuel consumption
                  > will have a more bike related cause than the fuel. My guess is either
                  > a leak or a significant richening of the fuel mixture entering the
                  > engine. Given previous posts on the subject I would suggest that
                  > (assuming the OP is in the US) that the bike was running lean possibly
                  > due to poor lines / blocked air filter etc and now the bike is running
                  > slightly rich and within the fuel consumption band others have
                  > mentioned...
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > JohnE

                • Kevin Thomas
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                    Thank you for all your posts, and about the ONLY thing i havent done is replace the vacuum lines, but i dont feel any change in performance, no black smoke, no sooty exhaust and plugs are a light grey to light beige, have tried the ole wd40 spray around the intakes and vacuum lines with the bike running and no change in idle characteristics either, i am stumped

                    John Evans wrote:

                    > Bob wrote:
                    >
                    > > Ethanol in the fuel means you will use 30% more fuel to go the same
                    > > difference.
                    >
                    > This isn't entirely true unless your "enhanced" fuel is E85 or higher
                    > (85% ethanol 15% mineral gasoline). In the UK petrol can contain up to
                    > 5% ethanol and in the US up to 10%. Ethanol has approximately 20%
                    > lower energy per unit volume than gasoline but also requires advanced
                    > timing to get the best out of it. As such the worst you are likely to
                    > see is perhaps a 5% reduction in performance (power and fuel
                    > consumption) in the US and probably 3% in the UK.
                    >
                    > Ethanol has other unfortunate properties though such as being
                    > hydrophilic and absorbing quite large quantities of water which can
                    > speed up corrosion or drop out of solution in the tank but nothing
                    > that would explain such a big change.
                    >
                    > Given the above, the drop that the OP mentioned in fuel consumption
                    > will have a more bike related cause than the fuel. My guess is either
                    > a leak or a significant richening of the fuel mixture entering the
                    > engine. Given previous posts on the subject I would suggest that
                    > (assuming the OP is in the US) that the bike was running lean possibly
                    > due to poor lines / blocked air filter etc and now the bike is running
                    > slightly rich and within the fuel consumption band others have
                    > mentioned...
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > JohnE

                    List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                    Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  • Kevin Thomas
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                      True, i do alternate between bikes and always use a fuel stabilizer, and yes i have checked re tightened the lines, i am thinking maybe the fuel tap assembly diaphragm?  i dont smell any raw fuel, when running or off, and yes i have made sure the brakes werent binding thank you for reminding me of that, when i changed pads last <about 2K miles> i greased the slider pins with a brake grease.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                        Kevin,

                        The only way I can imagine the fuel tap diaphragm being an issue is if
                        it allows fuel to flow with the engine off *and* your float bowl
                        valve(s) are shot leading to fuel draining into the cylinders and down
                        into the sump whilst the bike is parked. I am sure you'd spot that much
                        fuel getting into the oil.

                        Is has got to be leaking somewhere (raise the tank a little with the
                        engine running and look at everything very closely), or it is running
                        much richer than before (maybe find a local dyno place or garage, and
                        get the exhaust emissions analysed), or you have started riding
                        everywhere at 20mph faster than before ;-)

                        Does the bike behave any differently when cold? Does it need less choke
                        to start for example? Wondering if one of the choke levers on one of the
                        carbs is stuck, and the choke is always on one (or more) cylinders. I
                        think you'd probably notice a misfire, or slightly rough running in this
                        case - the relevant spark plug would certainly be different to the
                        others.

                        Puzzler for sure.

                        Martin

                      • jackgoertz
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                          Kevin, also check your airbox/aircleaner. It's possible some critters have tried to setup house cleaning there, partially blocking your air intake, which would lead to a rich condition and poorer gas mileage.

                          Good luck!
                          Jack Goertz
                          Birmingham, AL
                          (who just sold his 1996 Trophy 1200)
                          '00 Triumph Legend TT 900
                          '07 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom
                          '10 BMW F 800 ST

                        • brillooo@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                            In a message dated 3/11/2010 8:46:47 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                            tandems@... writes:

                            > Thank you for all your posts, and about the ONLY thing i havent done is
                            replace the vacuum lines, but i dont feel any change in performance, no
                            black smoke, no sooty exhaust and plugs are a light grey to light beige, have
                            tried the ole wd40 spray around the intakes and vacuum lines with the bike
                            running and no change in idle characteristics either, i am stumped

                            Can't be the vacuum line; if there is a leak in it the engine won't run as
                            it will get no fuel.

                          • Robert
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                              Kevin:

                              I agree with Jack. Check the air cleaner/airbox assembly. Also though,
                              check in the snorkels to make sure they are clear. If you mixture
                              appears right at slower speeds....then you might look to see if it is
                              starving for either fuel or air at higher speeds. One way to check this
                              is with a Dyno run.

                              Also check the fuel filters between the carbs. If you are in an area
                              where Ethanol is used, you may have cleaned some crud out of your fuel
                              system and partially clogged the filters. If everything else is right on
                              the ignition side and it sounds like it is you have to be starving the
                              bike somewhere else. Mice are known to like making homes in one or both
                              of the snorkels. And they won't always go that far down the tube.

                              Let us know what you find. Where are you located. There is most likely
                              someone on the list not too far from you that could help you sort the
                              problem out.

                              Best Regards,

                              Bob Clark
                              01Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                              Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                                Hey Bob,
                                I actually had a mouse nest appear in my airbox. I couldn't
                                believe it, so I thought it must be that it just sucked all that
                                grass and crap, and swirled it around. Then over time others in the
                                group mentioned having this happen. Now about twice a year, I hook my
                                shop-vac to one snorkle to clean out any large residue. I want to do
                                the airbox mod when I have it apart next.

                              • Kevin B
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                                  Maybe carb float valve not sealing causing high fuel levels in carbs and rich running.

                                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Thomas <fuzz2slayer@...> wrote:

                                  > True, i do alternate between bikes and always use a fuel stabilizer, and yes i have checked re tightened the lines, i am thinking maybe the fuel tap assembly diaphragm?  i dont smell any raw fuel, when running or off, and yes i have made sure the brakes werent binding thank you for reminding me of that, when i changed pads last <about 2K miles> i greased the slider pins with a brake grease.

                                • Greg
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                                    Hi Fuzz, First replace the o-rings that hold the float assemblies, two per carb. Cheap easy thing to try. Advice from local Triumph mechanic. It worked on my bike.
                                    Second, you didn't say how many miles on the carbs. After 60,000 miles the emulsion tubes wear out and are no longer round for the needles to slide in.
                                    Third, How your chain? This was my first idea from your original post.
                                    Greg Andrews
                                    '96 900 BRG
                                    75,000 smiles

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                                      thank you, chain and sporckets changed at 18K bike now has 22 K and they all look good, will work on the carb issue

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010
                                        Kevin Thomas:

                                        Where are you Located?

                                        Bob Clark
                                        01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                                        Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA
                                      • Kevin Thomas
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010
                                          Corpus Christi, TX

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010
                                            Ok you Texas Trophy riders. Can anyone out there give a hand to Kevin?
                                            It's too far for me to make in in a day trip. It sounds like he is
                                            having difficulties sorting this out. I'm still of a mind he has clogged
                                            filters (air and or fuel). Worst case is some mis-adjusted valves.

                                            Thanks,

                                            Bob Clark
                                            01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                                            Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA