Re: centerstand question

  • pjuddfan
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 4, 2010
      "...it must have been slightly misaligned because it sits on one side and the foot leg. The bike tends to rock a little but seems safe enough."

      Please be careful, as mine had been in this situation, and was able to rock forward off the stand at a gas pump after just a slight bump from me. Not a pretty sight, I think scared off any helpers with my colorful words as I wrestled the bike off the ground.
      I was able to bend the foot lever back where it should be by putting the centerstand in a vise and sliding a pipe over the lever to assist tthe bending. That was over a year ago, and no problems since. I have altered my lifting technique and it hasn't bent again.
    • swl161
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 4, 2010
        Seems like a good time to tell my centerstand story:

        Towards the end of the first season on my 98 BBBB in fall of 2006 I was preparing for a two week trip in the Rocky Mountains. With the Trophy on the center stand in my shared garage I was attemting to remove the oil filter which for some reason was torqued on way to tight. As I was laying on the floor I tried a different angle and gave it all I had and slowly felt the bike roll forward off the (bent) centerstand.

        I remember foolishly hoping the bike would fall my way so I could save it - right! It did'nt. It crashed to the floor, smashing my shop light laying on the other side, and the noise brought my neighbor out. Just as the two of us were about to pick it up the crushed shop light ignited the gas that leaked out of the carbs (overflow?).

        So there I was watching my beautiful new (to me) platinum BBBB in flames and thinking my trip of a lifetime was also up in flames. I asked my neighbor if he had an extinguisher. He first said no but quickly remembered and ran inside, returning with one and quickly spraying out the fire.

        Fortunately the bike started right up with no problems and I made the trip minus one mirror and with a slightly scorched and melted side panel. And a wonderful trip it was - 5000 glorious miles in the mountains and canyons of western USA, including an official iron butt ride from Chicago to Estes Park, CO. It just does'nt get any better than that.

        Lessons learned: Always chock the front wheel when doing maintenance, always keep a fire extinguisher in the garage and always have a cold beer ready for a good neighbor.
      • swl161
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 4, 2010
          Oops - I don't post often, guess I should sign off properly.

          Steve Larson
          Chicago, IL
          98 platinum BBBB
          05 Speedmaster

        • socalsinner13@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 4, 2010
            Hey steve.
            I'm in Naperville..dint have a trophy yet but on .y way..we should connect one day

            Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry from hell..................

            Oops - I don't post often, guess I should sign off properly.

            Steve Larson
            Chicago, IL
            98 platinum BBBB
            05 Speedmaster

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "swl161" <civilone@...> wrote:

            > Seems like a good time to tell my centerstand story:
            >
            > Towards the end of the first season on my 98 BBBB in fall of 2006 I was preparing for a two week trip in the Rocky Mountains. With the Trophy on the center stand in my shared garage I was attemting to remove the oil filter which for some reason was torqued on way to tight. As I was laying on the floor I tried a different angle and gave it all I had and slowly felt the bike roll forward off the (bent) centerstand.
            >
            > I remember foolishly hoping the bike would fall my way so I could save it - right! It did'nt. It crashed to the floor, smashing my shop light laying on the other side, and the noise brought my neighbor out. Just as the two of us were about to pick it up the crushed shop light ignited the gas that leaked out of the carbs (overflow?).
            >
            > So there I was watching my beautiful new (to me) platinum BBBB in flames and thinking my trip of a lifetime was also up in flames. I asked my neighbor if he had an extinguisher. He first said no but quickly remembered and ran inside, returning with one and quickly spraying out the fire.
            >
            > Fortunately the bike started right up with no problems and I made the trip minus one mirror and with a slightly scorched and melted side panel. And a wonderful trip it was - 5000 glorious miles in the mountains and canyons of western USA, including an official iron butt ride from Chicago to Estes Park, CO. It just does'nt get any better than that.
            >
            > Lessons learned: Always chock the front wheel when doing maintenance, always keep a fire extinguisher in the garage and always have a cold beer ready for a good neighbor.

          • daverider06
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 6, 2010
              I was getting fuel one day on my 96 1200. It went up on the centerstand okay but after filling up it wouldn't come off. for some reason it was bent up underneath. I didn't know what I was going to do but after getting some help from another motorist, I managed to push it forward enough so it came part of the way up. it was enough that I could ride it though it was dragging and shooting out sparks. I rode it home which thankfully wasn't to far expecting a fire to start at anytime. Thankfully made it okay. I bought a replacement from bike bandit and haven't had anymore problems. I don't know why the original got so messed up though and everytime I use it now I am nervouse that it might happen again.
              Dave 96 1200 Merlot red
            • bodger barclay
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 6, 2010
                I find it disconcerting that over a heavy bump the centre stand strikes the
                road and slams back into place - It temps me to find a catch or heavier
                springs. (to avoid dragging a harpooned drain cover along the road
                perhaps...)

                daverider06 wrote:

                > I was getting fuel one day on my 96 1200. It went up on the centerstand
                > okay but after filling up it wouldn't come off. for some reason it was
                > bent up underneath. I didn't know what I was going to do but after getting
                > some help from another motorist, I managed to push it forward enough so it
                > came part of the way up. it was enough that I could ride it though it was
                > dragging and shooting out sparks. I rode it home which thankfully wasn't
                > to far expecting a fire to start at anytime. Thankfully made it okay. I
                > bought a replacement from bike bandit and haven't had anymore problems. I
                > don't know why the original got so messed up though and everytime I use it
                > now I am nervouse that it might happen again.
                > Dave 96 1200 Merlot red

              • Kevin B
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 8, 2010
                  94 1200. This has never happened to me and I ride a few lanes/tracks with big holes in and have hit a few. Has your centre stand spring become weak for some reason?
                • bodger barclay
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 8, 2010
                    hmmmm... that secondary thump into the frame after the initial strike into
                    the hole - that's the center stand thumping back into place - doesn't
                    necessarily strike the ground though. considering there are two springs i am
                    disappointed it moves at all - but it is only disconcerting.