Re: Put money into bike, or grenade it.

  • Michael C
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1 7:52 PM
      Bob "Better Than Thou" Clark:

      "Have you applied to any of the race teams to see if you can get a sponsored ride?"
      I ride my *motorcycle* and you're calling me a "racer" ?
      If I wanted to go to bible study and eat pastries, I'd do that.

      "The factory riders don't abuse the machines that hard."
      I abuse the machine because I downshift the revs into 6k territory?
      Is this your logic? Seriously?

      "Those of us who are on this list for a long time don't know of many Trophy 1200's that have failed. Many of us have concluded that with minimal care and little abuse, these engines and Transmissions can see a long life."
      Minimal care. Check.
      Little abuse. Oh, I see where you're going with that. Abuse as YOUR definition. Short shift it... this isn't a sport-touring motorcycle, it's a nancy-mobile.

      "Maybe you should put a grenade in it, or sell it, or do something"
      So perhaps my humor and/or verbiage ruffled your jesus feathers, I'm not sure. I'm sure my dilemma is a dilemma shared by millions throughout history... whether it's a Triumph Trophy or a Yugo.

      "It pains us to see a Trophy abused."
      It's pains me to think of you riding a motorcycle.
      A motorcycle! My gosh! You must feel so smug when you're rocking your Dockers and Hush Puppies on your ... snicker... MOTORCYCLE.

      "It's clear you are expecting a full sized touring bike to perform as a sport bike. "
      Because I ride with "sportier" ( my word ) bikes like...
      Bandits. VFR's. F800GS. Yeah, those are some hard core sportbikes.

      "If your going to be operating any "Touring Bike" in that way"
      That way. Your way. Yea, I had a vision oh Lord, even I...

      "Is your life insurance paid up?  Your medical insurance in force? So your family is protected? People who ride the way you describe become statistics fast."
      You're sure pouring a bunch of spew from your mouth for someone who really has so few facts. How self-righteous and egotistical are thee.

      "I hope for one you are not on the same roads that I or my wife are on at the same time. "
      I rarely ride on the trolley bud.

      "Please understand this is comming is from someone who has been accused more than once of riding a Trophy 1200 hard."
      At least your got me laughing!
    • ldwolfe@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1 8:04 PM
        If you want smug, arrogant, & obnoxious, you should check out the BSA group. No moderator has let a few take over the site for themselves & ruined it for countless others. What a shame. I truly hope this site can stay civilized + not go down the same ugly path as some of the other sites.

        From: "Michael C" <Michael_Coustier@...>
        Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 03:52:54
        To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Put money into bike, or grenade it.

[...]

        ------------------------------------

        List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1 10:48 PM
          Hey there Mr. Clark,
          Even if, and When. I can sure understand the gloss eventually
          dulls on any bike that is a lemon. Having said that, I've seen many
          lemons turn into peaches, in the loving hands of a new owner. Myself
          happily included. The experience that I've personally had here has
          been wonderful. We are pretty much a road hardened group. Even more
          solitary than the BMW MOA. I loved that bunch. and now I love this
          bunch. There is so much more to "Motorcycling", than just having a
          two wheeled form of transportation.
          I attended a gathering recently. It was a very nice occasion,
          for which I got my Uniform of the day instructions. It was,"Formal
          casual" That's wife-speak for no team shirts, no NASCAR, Harley-
          Davidson stuff, Triumph Stuff, Finally no denim in any form. For me
          to say, that I had no preconceived notions, about this party would
          be putting it mildly. I was ready to leave right after we ate.
          Very much to my surprise, the whole mood of the party was as if
          we'd been to our own 25 year class reunion. I met several riders, of
          all marquis, and preferred surface terrain. When the party was over,
          I didn't feel like our paths would ever pass again, but Damn I had a
          good times. It felt terribly strange leaving by car. My sense of this
          good-by, tells me ours is a path that has a great ride in store. I'm
          sure going to miss our "TECHNOCRAT! Don't ever say goodby. Let me
          know how to find you. I'm jackbyers@...
          I Hope very much to hear from you friend.

        • Ken Hastie
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 1 11:57 PM

            I couldn't agree more. I gave up on that group a lot time ago.

            However, I think everyone on this group knows when they are close to
            over-stepping the mark.

            Never forget the Group Owner is working behind the scenes 8-) There is so
            much you DON'T see...

            Ken Hastie
            Group Owner
            Rarely chastises anyone in public...I'm big enough to tell them face to face
            when needs be 8-)
          • Phil Golden
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2 12:23 AM
              I would like to give my .02 worth on this even though I am new if y'all
              don't mind...I have stayed quiet but as a rider, I really want to speak up.

              Riding a bike is a nirvana that to each is his/her own.

              Having said that, one can only expect to get what they give. Abusing a
              machine of any kind will only lend itself to heartbreak.

              To the OP.

              If it were me, and I wanted to continue the riding experience as described,
              I would probably fix the bike to a respectable selling point and put it on
              the market with full disclosure. Then I would buy a new bike or gently used
              bike with existing warranty.

              I must assume that you really want to keep the Trophy or else you would not
              have posted up. If that is indeed the case, kudos. Fix the bike and ride
              it as it was designed. Hard and fast, if you like that, BUT with respect.

              I don't pretend to read anything into any email or forum post as so much is
              lost in translation. So I will not judge.

              From my thorough research of this bike, I have learned that she has a loyal
              following and with good reason. The kind of protection you feel for you
              best friend's sister. So, having said that, I would not expect anything
              less than a defensive stance from owners based on some of your
              comments/riding style. No offense intended. Re-read my third sentence.

              Personally, if I may be so bold, fix the bike and enjoy your machine.
              Realize the mechanical limitations of whatever machine you are on and put
              that into play.

              Most of all, never take for granted what it is we have the luxury of
              experiencing... that is... whatever YOUR ride is.

              I'll hush up now and get in my corner. :)

              Phil
              Texas

              --
              Check out our ALD Awareness Project at:
              http://www.aldawareness.com

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 2 4:38 AM
                My 2c FWIW and it'll be short. I have a 1989 Civic that seems to cost me
                $500 every time I turn around. It has 245,000 miles and one day it will
                probably totally give up the ghost but in the meantime when I need one of
                these repairs I ask myself if I could buy another car for that money. And
                what guarantee would I have that the same things wouldn't happen all over
                again on the next one. So I keep the old one and fix it. I love the car so
                there lies the difference. If you don't like the bike. Part it out! I'll
                probably buy some of the parts.
                Ed J.

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 2 4:43 AM
                  Hi Michael, Sell it as it is. Let one who is mechanically inclined fix it. It is expensive to have a shop do the work especially the leaking head gasket and shifting part. After the money is spent the bike, it is still only worth so much. Look at what they sell for on Ebay. Good deals for the buyers.
                  Greg Andrews
                  '96 900 BRG
                  75,000 smiles

                • brillooo@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 2 10:20 AM
                    In a message dated 2/1/2010 10:48:54 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    jackbyers@... writes:

                    Hey there Mr. Clark,
                    Even if, and When. I can sure understand the gloss eventually
                    dulls on any bike that is a lemon. Having said that, I've seen many
                    lemons turn into peaches, in the loving hands of a new owner. Myself
                    happily included. The experience that I've personally had here has
                    been wonderful. We are pretty much a road hardened group. Even more
                    solitary than the BMW MOA. I loved that bunch. and now I love this
                    bunch. There is so much more to "Motorcycling", than just having a

                    Jack, my BMWMOA number is 1990; that goes back to 1971. I totalled my -3
                    red 1200 this past October in Arkansas and have replaced it with a 01 red
                    1200 I bought on eBay. The Trophys are classic styling abundant power ,
                    good handling , weather protection is great... what a bike. I bought the 01
                    because I don't believe there is a better bike out there and if you
                    consider the price of a used one there is really no contest. I think you'll agree
                    to that.

                  • JackM
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2 10:38 AM
                      Allright, enough already. I like a good pissing match as much as the next guy, but you've both said your piece, so let it lie.

                      As the father of four boys (two of them in late teens), if I was in your presence, I'd put the gloves on you both and we'd go down to the basement and have it out.

                      Heated opinions are welcome and I've certainly shared mine, but from here on out you guys should share your emails privately.

                      BTW, Bob, that guy never contacted me about the wiring harness, so if you are still interested let me know.

                      Jack
                      Placerville (known as Hangtown, USA - so don't start with me...LOL)
                      CA
                    • bodger barclay
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 2 2:11 PM
                        Can you find a smashed bike for the engine? Have you checked the lengths of
                        the springs in your suspension and while you are at it change the fork oil?