Re: HT leads (wires).

  • russ3282
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 31, 2009
      I have been hunting around breakers for a second hand set of HT leads to no avail.
      Would anyone have an old set laying around they want to part with for cash?
      I only need the part that clips onto the plug so condition of the leads is not important.

      happy new year to all

      russ nurse
      02 bbbb
    • bodger barclay
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2010
        NGK do a generic "motorcycle type" head that I think is the best - although
        that will not prevent debris collecting around the plug. I used to swap all
        my bikes over to this system - thus avoiding the spark plugs with the screw
        aluminium caps which are totally unreliable....

        What I don't like about the triumph rubber seal variety is the rubber tends
        to lift the connector off the spark plug by a click or two, which if
        (totally) bad could blow a coil and in theory if the rubber is dirty could
        also be an alternative ground.

        Still mine haven't coughed yet so have not reverted to the NGK set. I guess
        at worst you would end up with a bit of dead leaf dropping into you engine
        when changing plugs if you used my suggestion.

        whilst rabbiting on it did occur to me that getting past the frame with
        whatever type is an issue too.

        good luck - you could try http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/partfinder.php or
        the .com version

        russ3282 wrote:

        > I have been hunting around breakers for a second hand set of HT leads to
        > no avail.
        > Would anyone have an old set laying around they want to part with for
        > cash?
        > I only need the part that clips onto the plug so condition of the leads
        > is not important.
        >
        > happy new year to all
        >
        > russ nurse
        > 02 bbbb

      • russ3282
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2010
          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, bodger barclay <barclay.dan@...> wrote:

          > NGK do a generic "motorcycle type" head that I think is the best -

          I wish it were that easy!!!!!!!!

          not only is there the issue of the right cap, without the cover fitted the plug can become immersed in water when it rains or the bike is washed. and then to re fit the cowls which help protect the plugs you need the correct clearance.
          I think Triumph may have beaten me on this one.
          I either need an old HT lead, or I will have to try and find a company that will sell me just one lead.
          £83 for a full set is not on.

          russ
        • bodger barclay
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 1, 2010
            Good point about the long term immersion - although I note that water tends
            to dry off the hot engine very quickly - so may work for a temporary
            measure.

            russ3282 wrote:

            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, bodger barclay <barclay.dan@...>
            > wrote:
            >>

            >> NGK do a generic "motorcycle type" head that I think is the best -
            >
            > I wish it were that easy!!!!!!!!
            >
            > not only is there the issue of the right cap, without the cover fitted the
            > plug can become immersed in water when it rains or the bike is washed. and
            > then to re fit the cowls which help protect the plugs you need the correct
            > clearance.
            > I think Triumph may have beaten me on this one.
            > I either need an old HT lead, or I will have to try and find a company
            > that will sell me just one lead.
            > £83 for a full set is not on.
            >
            > russ

          • russ3282
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 1, 2010
              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, bodger barclay <barclay.dan@...> wrote:

              > Good point about the long term immersion - although I note that water tends to dry off the hot engine very quickly

              it wont get hot if that cylinder is not firing. Not hot enough to dry out anyway, if the plug 'hole' is full of water.

              As I know from experience.
              like I said earlier, Triumph seem to have sown this one up!

              thanks for you input anyway

              russ
              02 BBBB
            • Tom Miller
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 1, 2010
                Still recon you could get them from "Motorcycle-Recycle" in Colchester, they have enough Triumph engines for sale. They had a pan european pair of coils and leads complete with plug connectors (sadly not like trophy ones) for �15.00 plus postage today. I was concidering using the coils to replace the Triumph part as Honda parts seem to be more reliable.

                Best wishes for 2010.

                Tom.

                To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
                From: russnurse@...
                Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 21:44:43 +0000
                Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Re: HT leads (wires).

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, bodger barclay <barclay.dan@...> wrote:

                > Good point about the long term immersion - although I note that water tends to dry off the hot engine very quickly

                it wont get hot if that cylinder is not firing. Not hot enough to dry out anyway, if the plug 'hole' is full of water.

                As I know from experience.
                like I said earlier, Triumph seem to have sown this one up!

                thanks for you input anyway

                russ
                02 BBBB

              • motoworld2001
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 2, 2010
                  The boot section on the HT leads can be reused, look closely at the top section. They are only bonded at the very top of the boot assembly.

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Tom Miller <tom-miller@...> wrote:

                  > Still recon you could get them from "Motorcycle-Recycle" in Colchester, they have enough Triumph engines for sale. They had a pan european pair of coils and leads complete with plug connectors (sadly not like trophy ones) for £15.00 plus postage today. I was concidering using the coils to replace the Triumph part as Honda parts seem to be more reliable.
                  >

                  > Best wishes for 2010.
                  >
                  > Tom.
                  >

                  > To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: russnurse@...
                  > Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 21:44:43 +0000
                  > Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Re: HT leads (wires).
                  >

                  > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, bodger barclay <barclay.dan@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Good point about the long term immersion - although I note that water tends to dry off the hot engine very quickly
                  >
                  > it wont get hot if that cylinder is not firing. Not hot enough to dry out anyway, if the plug 'hole' is full of water.
                  >
                  > As I know from experience.
                  > like I said earlier, Triumph seem to have sown this one up!
                  >
                  > thanks for you input anyway
                  >
                  > russ
                  > 02 BBBB

                • Tom Miller
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 2, 2010
                    Anyone know if silicone rubber sealant (the acetic acid type) is a high voltage insulator when cured? A wipe round the cylinder head with a thin layer of silicone grease as a release agent and hey presto, any plug cap would work with the silicone rubber sealant filling and waterproofing the hole.

                    To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
                    From: motoworld2001@...
                    Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:00:20 +0000

                    The boot section on the HT leads can be reused, look closely at the top section. They are only bonded at the very top of the boot assembly.

                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Tom Miller <tom-miller@...> wrote:

                    > Still recon you could get them from "Motorcycle-Recycle" in Colchester, they have enough Triumph engines for sale. They had a pan european pair of coils and leads complete with plug connectors (sadly not like trophy ones) for £15.00 plus postage today. I was concidering using the coils to replace the Triumph part as Honda parts seem to be more reliable.
                    >

                    > Best wishes for 2010.
                    >
                    > Tom.

                  • john tabberer
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 2, 2010
                      Silicone rubber with acetic acid is reastive with many metals and would almost certainly corrode the very connections it is intended to protect.
                      it would also provide more of a capilliaryaction than a seal, if the adhesion to the surrounding metal were prevented with Silicone oil / grease.

                      the proper seals are slightly larger diameter than the hole in the cylinder head and seal by compression, there would be no compression with silicone sealant injected directly into the plug hole...

                      Silicone sealant requires moisture to solidify. without moisture it would remain unset for a considerable time.

                      Silicone Potting material may make a better job, it is a two part rubber compound which you Mix and pour, it comes in several colours, several speeds of setting, and several density/stiffnesses (I think it's called Modulus)... it's less likely to corrode the metals involved (It's intended for embedding electronic circuits to reduce vibration and moisture damage in hostile environments) and will set much more quickly. but it will not provide a compression seal... (Need I mention, it's not cheap either)

                      regards John

                      To: TriumphTrophy@ yahoogroups. com
                      From: motoworld2001@ yahoo.com
                      Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:00:20 +0000

                      The boot section on the HT leads can be reused, look closely at the top section. They are only bonded at the very top of the boot assembly.

                      --- In TriumphTrophy@ yahoogroups. com, Tom Miller <tom-miller@ ...> wrote:

                      > Still recon you could get them from "Motorcycle- Recycle" in Colchester, they have enough Triumph engines for sale. They had a pan european pair of coils and leads complete with plug connectors (sadly not like trophy ones) for £15.00 plus postage today. I was concidering using the coils to replace the Triumph part as Honda parts seem to be more reliable.
                      >

                      > Best wishes for 2010.
                      >
                      > Tom.

                      Use Hotmail to send and receive mail from your different email accounts
                      http://clk.atdmt com/UKM/go/ 186394592/ direct/01/

                    • Tom Miller
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 3, 2010
                        Thanks for the usefull information. I work for a company using acetic silicone (the opaque kitchen type) for stainless to stainless tank seals (which tends to work), and some more dubious places like plastic and metal thread sealing! Advance / Gould scopes had EHT trays potted in the two part silicone and after some years it went fluid again!

                        Still I hope Russ finds a soloution before we get some warm weather.

                        To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com

                        To: TriumphTrophy@ yahoogroups. com
                        From: motoworld2001@ yahoo.com
                        Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:00:20 +0000

                        The boot section on the HT leads can be reused, look closely at the top section. They are only bonded at the very top of the boot assembly.

                        --- In TriumphTrophy@ yahoogroups. com, Tom Miller <tom-miller@ ...> wrote:

                        > Still recon you could get them from "Motorcycle- Recycle" in Colchester, they have enough Triumph engines for sale. They had a pan european pair of coils and leads complete with plug connectors (sadly not like trophy ones) for £15.00 plus postage today. I was concidering using the coils to replace the Triumph part as Honda parts seem to be more reliable.
                        >

                        > Best wishes for 2010.
                        >
                        > Tom.

                      • john tabberer
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 3, 2010
                          I have used Acetic silicone for sealing model engine exhausts... and making tyres on indoor radio control cars more sticky(We coated the tyres and allowed them to cure before using them)... (Picked up all sorts of nastiness off the carpets).

                          and of course there are tropical fish tanks... I have an eight foot by two foot by twenty inch tank, and my wife has a seven foot by two foot by two foot tank (and some smaller ones) all held together by Silicone rubber.  it's magic stuff in the correct places. I am just not sure that Sparkplug holes are the correct place...

                          regards John

                          To: TriumphTrophy@ yahoogroups. com

                          To: TriumphTrophy@ yahoogroups. com
                          From: motoworld2001@ yahoo.com
                          Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:00:20 +0000

                          The boot section on the HT leads can be reused, look closely at the top section. They are only bonded at the very top of the boot assembly.

                          --- In TriumphTrophy@ yahoogroups. com, Tom Miller <tom-miller@ ...> wrote:

                          > Still recon you could get them from "Motorcycle- Recycle" in Colchester, they have enough Triumph engines for sale. They had a pan european pair of coils and leads complete with plug connectors (sadly not like trophy ones) for £15.00 plus postage today. I was concidering using the coils to replace the Triumph part as Honda parts seem to be more reliable.
                          >

                          > Best wishes for 2010.
                          >
                          > Tom.

                          Add your Gmail and Yahoo! Mail email accounts into Hotmail - it's easy
                          http://clk.atdmt com/UKM/go/ 186394592/ direct/01/

                        • Ken Hastie
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 3, 2010

                            I use it extensively around my yacht (I'm not paying price x 4 because it has the word 'marine' in it). I get mine at LIDL when on offer at £1 per tube.

                            I use it around the engine on sealing faces but one has to be very careful small pieces don;t end up circulating in oilways. It is almost indestructible and very good at clogging small oilways.

                            Ken the Geordie SST 13
                            BSA A75R, A10, B40, D10, Triumph Trophy 1200
                          • Tom Miller
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 3, 2010
                              That sounds a good idea. I recently repaired the cone support, (the outer rubber ring,) on my 10" JBL woofers which were perrished and buzzing where cracked. Perrished by R&R of course!

                              Tom.

                              Date: Sunday, 3 January, 2010, 10:30

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 3, 2010
                                Just remembered another major engineering feat, care of Silicone sealant.
                                My old trophy silencer rusted from the inside out and eventually the chrome finish was not enough to hold the noise in... and a large scab of rusted metal blew out...

                                At the time my local triumph dealer was moving premises, so I had to wait a couple of days whilst my new silencer was delivered by courier.
                                in the mean time, I still needed to go to work...
                                so I took an aluminium drinks can, cut the ends and slit down one side to leave a curved panel of flat aluminium, which I then silicone sealed onto the outside of the cleaned silencer.  I added a couple of cable ties to make a professional bodge of the repair and left it to set overnight.
                                Next morning I cut the cable straps off and went to work.
                                the silencer was not noticeable noisier
                                and the repair lasted well after the replacement silencer arrived, allowing me to select a dry day to execute the replacement in relative comfort.
                                A friends Volvo sprang a leak from the screen wash bottle. (the moulding split on the bottom)... easy silicone sealant repair...
                                I snagged my one piece waterproof suit on a shard of metal, and repaired it with a temporary piece of masking tape on the outside to keep  edges tidy and a  smear of silicone on the inside to glue a piece of nylon cloth across the rear of the tear... worked a treat.
                                It's almost as good as Bodge Tape!...
                                My dad Punctured his Fibreglass Canal boat, just above the waterline on the bows (Tore out about 8inch square panel (200mm square) when he bumped a submerged skip which was hidden by reeds... We managed to clean the hull and seal it with Bodge tape on the side of the canal, and then repair it later at our leisure.
                                similarly a friend snapped 18inches off the front of his canoe on the first day of his holidays. -dried out the remains and repaired with Bodge tape and enjoyed the remains of the holiday
                                this canoe was subsequently retired from active service.
                                Regards John

                                Date: Sunday, 3 January, 2010, 10:30

                                From: Tom Miller <tom-miller@ hotmail. com>

                                Date: Saturday, 2 January, 2010, 22:50

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 4, 2010
                                  Just doing a favour.

                                  USA spec, but in Lakenheath, Suffolk, UK.

                                  Asking $6,800 (around £4200)

                                  for a 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

                                  Black with silver flames, Only 1000 miles

                                  (Be aware, UK import tax liability to non US military)

                                  I have a mobile number for the owner if anyone is interested.

                                  Or email JHeadmil@... (Justin)

                                • Greg
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 6, 2010
                                    Hi Russ, Did you find a new HT lead? I have one I can give you. I was digging around in my spare parts looking for another coil for my '95 900. I came across an extra HT lead. I don't need it, so you can have it. The connection to the coil is broke, but the coil boot is there and the spark plug boot is complete.
                                    Greg Andrews
                                    '96 900 BRG
                                    75,000 smiles

                                    "russ3282" wrote:
                                    Hi all,
                                    I have been searching the archives for some info on HT leads for my BBBB. Number 2 lead is kaput, and I need to either replace or make up another. Triumph and Sprint want £19.00 of my English pounds for one lead! Does anyone have any details of what else might fit, or info on how to improvise a make-do?
                                    russ nurse
                                    02 BBBB Azure Blue