Avons

  • Rufus J. Wheeler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2001
      Rudy how do you find the 180 rear and what profile is it, does it make your
      handling slower?
      cheers Scott W

      I went to the 180 on the advice of a friend who said I would get improved
      handling and confidence from the larger contact patch. I find that turn-in
      is smoother and quicker, but couldn't really say if that's due to the 180
      rear or the slightly rounder shape of the front. Maybe it's just that I'm
      shoving the bars around harder because the tires grip so well. This is only
      the second set of tires I've had on the Trophy, which is the first bike I've
      had with similar handling characteristics. Previously I've had from
      mini-bikes and dirt bikes through medium- and large-displacement older model
      standards with older style "square" tires, so I don't have that much basis
      for comparison. I do feel improved confidence, as I have yet to get the
      Avons to slip at all, but it's hard for me to say exactly where the
      improvement comes from. As to profile, 180/55ZR17, the 55 5 points smaller
      than stock to keep the bike from sitting higher from increased height of a
      wider tire on the dealer's recommendation.
      Rudy Wheeler
      BBC Webmaster
      '99 Trophy, Platinum
    • apsllp@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 3 , May 27, 2004
        AVON's are FANTASTIC! 7000 HARD and FAST miles on mine (2 up most of the time), in 5 months, and they still look new. The handle and wear MUCH better than my Bridgestones did.

        I'll buy them again. Money well spent

        Bob Clark
        01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
        96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
        71 Suzuki T-500

        > From: "Gordon" <gordon@...>
        > Date: 2004/05/27 Thu PM 12:52:27 EDT
        > To: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [TriumphTrophy] 180 or 170 - now BT020 or Avons

      • Rudy Wheeler
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
          <> So, how are those Avons?>

          Bitchin'. Highly regarded in the press, often called the best ST tire
          available, the top tire in several comparo's I've read, endorsed by
          well-known sport-tour riders and many on this board. I get about 7-8k miles
          out of a rear and usually about two rears to one front. Confidence-inspiring
          grip right out to the edge, excellent wet traction, good ride, superior
          handling, and pretty decent mileage. More expensive than some, but well
          worth the money. I won't run anything else.

          Rudy Wheeler
          President, British Biker Cooperative

          "I admit that reason is a small and feeble flame, a flickering torch by
          stumblers carried in the star-less night, -- blown and flared by
          passion's storm, -- and yet, it is the only light. Extinguish that, and
          nought remains." Robert Green Ingersoll