How does a Beacon help?

  • Neil Christie
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
      ORIGINAL POST
      "...the organisers were extremely safety minded and amongst other
      arrangements the group would carry a number of emergency beacon's with
      them, which, if activated, would alert the emergency services via the
      British Airforce base in RAF Kinloss, giving a location to within 20
      square Kilometers.

      We were obviously very impressed and wondered out aloud, "How long would
      it take to fly a rescue helicopter From Scotland to Namibia... " "

      REPLY:
      A beacon in that regards makes little sense - but it makes you feel good
      if you don't think much.

      There is an advertisement for security alarms here in the US that is
      even more absurd. Scene: A bad-guy is watching a mid-20's woman and a
      8-ish girl (presumably mother and daughter) play in the fenced-in back
      yard of an upper-middle-class home. They go inside. He (the bad guy)
      then runs towards the front door, kicking it and it crashes open! Oh
      Dear! As the mother and daughter share scared expressions of panic, the
      home burgler alarm sounds a loud siren! The bad-guy hears the siren, his
      countenance shifts from an evil sneer to shocked and frightened, and he
      turns and runs away. After he leaves the home phone rings - it is the
      alarm company calling to check on the family. The mother, voice
      quivering with fright and relief, says, yes, there was an intruder, but
      he is gone - the alarm company commits to contacting and sending the
      police. End-of-scene / voiceover: Buy the alarm and monitoring for your
      safety, etc.

      Uh, bull. This was a home invasion - against a known occupied home. The
      bad guy would have kept running in the house, grabbed the little girl
      and forced the mother to tell the alarm company "it's a false alarm" or
      such. Or knocked her unconscious and answered the phone himself. Or any
      number of other (and bad) scenarios.

      I despise this selling of false hope, false security - because when you
      sell it, you are promising people that they don't need to take care of
      themselves, that you (normally, the government - but in this case, an
      alarm agency) will take care of them. And if something goes wrong, it;s
      not their fault for preventing it...it's not the miscreants fault for
      being a perpetrator - it's the agency's fault for failing to protect.

      Beacons in the wilderness, alarm systems at home, anti-lock brakes,
      childproof caps, laws against knives, guns, clubs, pointy sticks, etc.
      All BS.

      AARRGGHH!

      (rant done for a while).

      Neil

      PS - note how much I snipped from previous posts.....

    • Ian Ellison
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
        Afternoon all,

        My name is Ian Ellison, a typical middle aged family man with not enough
        time living in the Cotswolds in the UK. I just bought a 1997 Trophy 1200 in
        a local disposal auction. It's a blue bike and has what looks like a genuine
        21000 miles on it. Needs a new battery but even though it seems to have been
        standing for several months it fired up quickly and idled well once I'd
        checked the fluids and put a spare battery on it.

        Given it didn't come from the owner I'm going to be a bit cautious with it,
        but I got it for a good price and if it behaves itself I'm looking forward
        to some fun.

        I usually buy Italian bikes - I've got a Cagiva Elefant 900ie, a Ducati 749
        and a 907ie. I've had a few 900 Triumphs - a Sprint Sport, a 955i Speed
        Triple, and an 885i Tiger. This is my first four in a long while!

        If anyone has come across R63 KUT in the past I'd love to hear any history
        you can provide - there's service records with the bike and it seems to be
        well looked after.

        Cheers!

        IanE
      • Andrew Bell
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
          Good rant, lack of expletives....... 8.6 bravo :)
          > Beacons in the wilderness, alarm systems at home, anti-lock brakes,
          > childproof caps, laws against knives, guns, clubs, pointy sticks, etc.
          > All BS.
          >
          > AARRGGHH!
          >
          > (rant done for a while).
          >
          > Neil
          >
          > PS - note how much I snipped from previous posts.....

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jacques, Martin, VF-Group
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
            Ian,

            Welcome, sounds like you have found a potential bargain. Enjoy. Great
            bikes, and a very wide spread of knowledge amongst the owners on this
            list.

            I am from the south west corner of the Cotswolds myself, lovely biking
            roads all over.

            It is probably worth you having a quick search through the posts
            archives, particularly reading about coils, vacuum lines and the sprag
            clutch. Nothing hugely to worry about, but it is always good to know
            about the slightly more common gotchas.

            Martin

            03 1200, 40k miles, Graphite

          • john tabberer
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
              :
              Agreed.
              did I clip enough off?
              john

              _did I clip enough off?_,_._,___

            • bodger barclay
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
                maybe you need one of these

                http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/See/Can-Am/Downloads/

                the extra wheel for safety....

                ;-)

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
                  I am glad you explained it.
                  I thought you were suggesting that I would need the extra space to store the Beacon!

                  To be really safe we need something like this
                  http://www.altitude inc.com/download s/021609_ bikelane_ Boston.pdf
                  john