Anyone known coils to fail at low rpm only?

  • Jacques, Martin, VF-Group
    Message 1 of 50 , Dec 1, 2009
      I am having some minor issues with my 03 1200, and I am struggling to
      diagnose based on the symptoms. Bike is on 40k miles, I fitted new PVL
      coils 1 year and 15k miles ago, well serviced (always by me), last
      service at 37k included a complete strip and clean of the carbs with new
      rubber parts and needle jets, was running perfectly 500 miles ago, not
      done anything to it since.

      - At idle, the bike misfires/coughs and the exhaust smells very rich.
      Does this when warm, and also when stone cold with the choke on.
      - When starting from cold, I set the choke such that the bike will idle
      at 1,500rpm or so. After 10-15 seconds, the revs suddenly increase to
      around 3,000 rpm.
      - Idle speed is very low ~700rpm, although I can easily use the idle
      speed adjuster to bring it back up to normal 1,000rpm,
      - Bike seems fine at any revs over idle, and is not using any more fuel
      than normal.

      My gut feel was initially a stuck choke slide on at least one carb, but
      I would have thought that would also show poor running conditions and
      economy in normal use.

      I am beginning to wonder if one of my coils is at fault, but that fault
      only shows at idle.

      Anyone got any thoughts or comment? I'd rather have some ideas before I
      go digging into it as I use it every day.

      Martin

    • bodger barclay
      Message 50 of 50 , Dec 7, 2009
        My reference to lost spark is one where the connection to the spark park has
        gone High Resistant (HR) (for whatever reason such as a faulty cap)
        Thus as the coil drops its load it is not able to take the route to the
        spark plug but then seeks the next best route which may be across the output
        terminals of the coil (helped perhaps by WD40 as a for instance) and the
        discharge eats the output terminals - which may then look like corrosion.

        ?

        Dan