Leaky Petcock?

  • jonstark47
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
      Anyone here have any experience troubleshooting leaky vacuum petcocks? Last night after I got home my '03 Triumph Trophy 1200 started leaking down the outside, looks like its coming from the area of the petcock selector switch. I moved it back to the shed cause it was stinking up the garage something fierce. Several hours later the leak had stopped by itself. WTF?

      I haven't had time to play around with it since. Bike starts and runs fine, BTW. Bike has 17K miles on it.
    • Jacques, Martin, VF-Group
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
        If you have the same problem that I did fairly recently, I would expect
        that it is the actual fuel lines themselves leaking, rather than the
        petcock. They have probably cracked and brittled with age. I imagine
        that the fuel is leaking slowly but constantly whilst the engine is
        running, you only noticed it when you stopped.

        I recommend replacing the fuel pipes anyway to be honest, unless you
        know for sure they have been done recently.

        Martin

        03 1200 in Graphite, 39k miles

        Bath, England

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
          Hi Jon, Sprint manufacturing has the parts to fix it. They sent the parts to me quickly.
          Greg Andrews
          '96 900 BRG

          "jonstark47" < wrote:
          Anyone here have any experience troubleshooting leaky vacuum petcocks? Last night after I got home my '03 Triumph Trophy 1200 started leaking down the outside, looks like its coming from the area of the petcock selector switch.
        • Robert
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
            check you hoses too

            Bob Clark