Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Doing a gearbox / engine overhaul. Some questions and some advice.

  • Bob Clark
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
      Thats good news Jerry:

      If you have all of the metal bits out (try matching them up to the broken parts) you should be fine. The only worry is if there were small shavings etc that got in to a rod bearing or the valve train.

      While going back together and the engine is out, I'd look at the clutch plates (They should be fine) and consider replacing the cam chain adjuster.  It might be a real easy time to do the valve check / Adjustment.  With all of this done, you should be good for another 12,000 miles before you need to do anything to the engine besides changing the oil.

      I would after putting it all back together run a short cycle on the next oil change. Maybe only a few hundred miles. And then check the filter.

      Make sure when you go back together that you replace the oil pan gasket. The have a knack of leaking if you try to re-use them.

      Bob Clark
      01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
      Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA

      ___

    • mjj_zx6rr
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2009
        Jerry,

        I guess your route is the pragmatic one, why replace the engine now as it may well just continue running perfectly. Worst case, if some swarf gets into the bearing surfaces some point later, consider swapping it out then.

        I'd strongly agree with Bob's recommendation for a 100 mile oil change or two, but I imagine with your experience, you are planning that anyway.

        Good luck with the rebuild,

        Martin.