Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: How many remember when?

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2009
      The Smokies in the Blue Ridge Mountains are always a good place to go.
      FYI there is a Fantastic RAT pack in Charlotte, NC (Queens City RATS)
      that spends allot of time in the area. Many of them ride Thunderbirds
      and Bonnies. I will say that they are one of the most organized and
      hardest riding bunch I have come across. They have several Iron Butt
      Riders. Several members of the Charlotte Group have homes and
      businesses in the Smokies. There is good support in the area should
      someone need it.

      Anywhere in the area between Cades Cove, Helen GA, Hiawassee,GA,
      Knoxville TN, and Murphy NC, is most excellent. It's a little late for
      some thing this year as soon there will be white stuff falling and black
      ice patches on the roads. Planning for next year would be good.

      How many in the group are willing to camp?

      Bob Clark
      01 Sunset Red Tophy1200
      Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA

      > Let the planning begin!!!

    • John F
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 1, 2009
        Happy to camp.

        John Farrell
        96 Trophy 1200 BRG
        Minneapolis, MN

        > How many in the group are willing to camp?
        >
        > Bob Clark
        > 01 Sunset Red Tophy1200
        > Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA
        >

        > > Let the planning begin!!!

      • daniel pellecchia
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 1, 2009
          ready & willing keep me posted on details

          The Smokies in the Blue Ridge Mountains are always a good place to go.
          FYI there is a Fantastic RAT pack in Charlotte, NC (Queens City RATS)
          that spends allot of time in the area. Many of them ride Thunderbirds
          and Bonnies. I will say that they are one of the most organized and
          hardest riding bunch I have come across. They have several Iron Butt
          Riders. Several members of the Charlotte Group have homes and
          businesses in the Smokies. There is good support in the area should
          someone need it.

          Anywhere in the area between Cades Cove, Helen GA, Hiawassee,GA,
          Knoxville TN, and Murphy NC, is most excellent. It's a little late for
          some thing this year as soon there will be white stuff falling and black
          ice patches on the roads. Planning for next year would be good.

          How many in the group are willing to camp?

          Bob Clark
          01 Sunset Red Tophy1200
          Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA

          > Let the planning begin!!!

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 1, 2009
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "motoworld2001" <motoworld2001@...> wrote:

            > I posted several photo's from the Trophy gathering ( my ride there and back) in 2002, in a new folder. Can you count the number of Trophy's that were in one place (Clingmans Dome), at the same time?
            >
            > Tom D.

            I remember that gathering well. ;)

            Tom (SW Ohio)
          • Tom
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 1, 2009

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 1, 2009
                Poppa Jack here! I'm an avid camper. There's lots to do in SoCal.
                Kindest regards always,
                On Nov 1, 2009, at 11:41 AM, John F wrote:

                > Happy to camp.
                >
                > John Farrell
                > 96 Trophy 1200 BRG
                > Minneapolis, MN
                >

                > > How many in the group are willing to camp?
                > >
                > > Bob Clark
                > > 01 Sunset Red Tophy1200
                > > Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA
                > >

                > > > Let the planning begin!!!

              • motoworld2001
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 1, 2009
                  Tom W. posted a lot of photo's and short videos from that event. Well worth taking a look at!!!
                  Sign on to the group site and enjoy!

                  Tom D.

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <Witttom@...> wrote:

                  > > I remember that gathering well. ;)
                  > >
                  > > Tom (SW Ohio)

                • Laurence Wolfe
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 2, 2009
                    As you know, I live less than 45 min. from Americade. I also visited Clingmans Dome in May on my 1/2 the country tour, but, that doesn't mean I won't go to either destination. If Lake George is picked, I can offer soft support, as I have a compressor & lift to those that might need it coming from distant points. Clingmans probably did the best turnout because it is centrally located & offers the best location for people coming in from all along the east coast. Something along the Mississippi River would make it convenient for west coasters but, after visiting the rude obnoxious people of Memphis, I have vowed never to return.(more so than me;-( ). Whiteface was great, but again, it is pretty tough to get to if your not near the northeast. first order of business should be to pick a destination & date to work with. I'm open to all suggestions. Any one else? Maybe we can set up a west coast & an east coast meet to accomodate both sides of the country.
                    Maybe it"s too much. Let's do something even if it's wrong ;-))L.D. Wolfe

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 2, 2009
                      My suggestion would be for all interested parties to attend the 2010 Triumph Dragon Raid, and all the Trophy guys can pick a time to meet at Clingman's Dome for a repeat of 2002.

                      The 2010 Triumph Dragon Raid (sponsored by Joe's RAT Pack out of Dayton Ohio) is September 13th through the 19th, based out of the Iron Horse Campground. The Iron Horse is a spectacular motorcycle resort.

                      http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

                      I've attended that last few RAT Rallies in the Smokey Mtns. This past year I think was probably the best ever (IMHO). It was originally held in June, but moved to Sept this year due to fewer conflicts with local events, other Triumph-related events, and holidays. I'm sure it will still be a blast and I plan to attend.

                      Group photo from last year (taken a few hours after I already departed I might add):
                      http://www.britrider.com/images/CB_DragonJul09%20-%2051.jpg

                      Event flyer from last year:
                      http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs108.snc1/4628_126945289376_619864376_2870657_936922_n.jpg

                      Tom (SW Ohio)

                    • ldwolfe@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 2, 2009
                        Sounds better than Bennington Bash. The "Bash" is only in it's 2nd year, so maybe they can catch up. Battle of the Brits is a real nice show also. But, anywhere near the Dragon & Skyline is undoubtedly best. I would ride from Oz to be a part of that.
                        :-)))))
                        Sorry Ken,
                        Can't snip from the BB

                        From: "Tom" <Witttom@...>
                        Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:16:54
                        To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Re: [TriumphTrophy remember when?/ Next Trohy Rally

                        My suggestion would be for all interested parties to attend the 2010 Triumph Dragon Raid, and all the Trophy guys can pick a time to meet at Clingman's Dome for a repeat of 2002.

                        The 2010 Triumph Dragon Raid (sponsored by Joe's RAT Pack out of Dayton Ohio) is September 13th through the 19th, based out of the Iron Horse Campground. The Iron Horse is a spectacular motorcycle resort.

                        http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

                        I've attended that last few RAT Rallies in the Smokey Mtns. This past year I think was probably the best ever (IMHO). It was originally held in June, but moved to Sept this year due to fewer conflicts with local events, other Triumph-related events, and holidays. I'm sure it will still be a blast and I plan to attend.

                        Group photo from last year (taken a few hours after I already departed I might add):
                        http://www.britrider.com/images/CB_DragonJul09%20-%2051.jpg

                        Event flyer from last year:
                        http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs108.snc1/4628_126945289376_619864376_2870657_936922_n.jpg

                        Tom (SW Ohio)

                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Wolfe <ldwolfe@...> wrote:

                        > As you know, I live less than 45 min. from Americade. I also visited Clingmans Dome in May on my 1/2 the country tour, but, that doesn't mean I won't go to either destination. If Lake George is picked, I can offer soft support, as I have a compressor & lift to those that might need it coming from distant points. Clingmans probably did the best turnout because it is centrally located & offers the best location for people coming in from all along the east coast. Something along the Mississippi River would make it convenient for west coasters but, after visiting the rude obnoxious people of Memphis, I have vowed never to return.(more so than me;-( ). Whiteface was great, but again, it is pretty tough to get to if your not near the northeast. first order of business should be to pick a destination & date to work with. I'm open to all suggestions. Any one else? Maybe we can set up a west coast & an east coast meet to accomodate both sides of the country.
                        > Maybe it"s too much. Let's do something even if it's wrong ;-))L.D. Wolfe

                        ------------------------------------

                        List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                      • jim.miles96
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 2, 2009
                          TN and NC are both outstanding but don't forget about the Ozarks. There is a Triumph group that meets at the Riders Rest in Eureka Springs Arkansas. It's in October, I think. They book the motel up for a week of riding the Ozarks. Twice now I have just missed the Triumph folks in Eureka.

                          I'm going to try and go back in a few weeks, as the foliage should be just right.

                          Jim
                          2003 Trophy 1200
                          Collierville, TN
                        • Robert
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 2, 2009
                            I'm game for that. Provided Triumph doesn't want an arm and 2 legs for
                            the event.

                            I'll have to book several days of vacation time from work.....But count
                            me in and I'll tentatively put it on the calender. I went to college in
                            the Western NC mountains and used to ride the Dragon long before it was
                            famous. There are several other roads not as famous (and in my opinion
                            better) that I'd prefer to ride on. Yet as someone posted, it's some of
                            the best riding in this part of the country.

                            It's about 550 miles from Jacksonville, FL. I figure a good day of
                            riding to get there.

                            Count me in coach! Who else is game?

                            Bob Clark
                            01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                            Jacksonville, FL

                          • ldwolfe@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 2, 2009
                              Sounds awesome! Can't make it this year, but, next year may happen with or without a little logistical planning.
                              LDW

                              From: Robert <apsllp@...>
                              Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:03:18
                              To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>
                              Subject: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Next Trophy Rally

                              Tom wrote:

                              > My suggestion would be for all interested parties to attend the 2010
                              > Triumph Dragon Raid, and all the Trophy guys can pick a time to meet
                              > at Clingman's Dome for a repeat of 2002.
                              >
                              > The 2010 Triumph Dragon Raid (sponsored by Joe's RAT Pack out of
                              > Dayton Ohio) is September 13th through the 19th, based out of the Iron
                              > Horse Campground. The Iron Horse is a spectacular motorcycle resort.
                              >
                              > http://www.ironhorsenc.com/ <http://www.ironhorsenc.com/>

                              ------------------------------------

                              List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                            • Tom
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 2, 2009
                                Well... that's one of the good things about the Dragon Raid, is that there is no registration fee typically associated with Triumph sponsored RAT Raids. I think the only RAT Raid that Triumph even officially sponsors now is that Mid-Ohio RAT Raid during the Vintage Motorcycle Days.

                                Whatever lodging you want, the Iron Horse has it. Cabins, Bunkhouse, Camping. They'll even rent you a tent and a sleeping bag. Look at their website for rates. I camped (comfortably I might add) all week this past year. Many of the RAT guys go in together and rent cabins for the whole week. The lodge is awesome. Big screen TV, meals, Internet access, Fire Pit, Showers, etc etc. Spend whatever you want to spend. Riders usually break up into different groups each day and head in different directions. Each breakfast and dinner each day with the rest of the group (pay for your own meal), or do your own thing.

                                The Dayton RATs had a sh!tload of freebie giveaways. The KY Rats offered up an open bar one evening. It's an awesome event.

                                Tom (SW Ohio)

                                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Robert <apsllp@...> wrote:

                                > I'm game for that. Provided Triumph doesn't want an arm and 2 legs for
                                > the event.
                                >
                                > I'll have to book several days of vacation time from work.....But count
                                > me in and I'll tentatively put it on the calender. I went to college in
                                > the Western NC mountains and used to ride the Dragon long before it was
                                > famous. There are several other roads not as famous (and in my opinion
                                > better) that I'd prefer to ride on. Yet as someone posted, it's some of
                                > the best riding in this part of the country.
                                >
                                > It's about 550 miles from Jacksonville, FL. I figure a good day of
                                > riding to get there.
                                >
                                > Count me in coach! Who else is game?

                              • devinejd52
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 4, 2009
                                  I was at the Dragon Raid this past summer and I can attest to what Tom writes...the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge is a first class lodging facility providing camping equipment, cabin, or bunkhouse rentals for motorcycle individual or groups. They serve breakfast and supper, and have a large group area inside and a commons area outside. We all had a great time and the local roads are excellent, plus there are many different styles of roads from broad sweepers to tight technical curves that will meet just about every rider's needs.

                                  In addition, there are lots of places to visit (touristy stuff), or the mountains offer a plethora of hideaway places to get away from everything (see tom's excellent journal on britrider.com).

                                  As I'm new to the Trophy community (bought a 99 BRG 1200 back in September--still have the Legend TT and FJR)), I would like to attend any upcoming rally, within limits of course (I couldn't make a rally in SoCal--no offense intended, just too far for a 4 day rally).

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 4, 2009
                                    Were you on your Trophy at the Dragon Raid, or the Legend?

                                    My "Triumphs & Dragons & Bears, Oh My" trip report was lost on BritRider.com a while back when the forum crashed and burned. The forum is back up, but all the old threads are gone.

                                    I did post it in other places though, such as ADV Rider:
                                    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485293

                                    ...in case anyone is curious. Lots of pictures.

                                    Tom (SW Ohio)
                                    1999 Triumph Trophy 1200 (62k+)
                                    2002 Triumph Speed Four

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 6, 2009
                                      Tom,
                                      I was on my Pearl White Legend, as I didn't have the Trophy at that time. Your "Triumphs & Dragons & Bears, Oh My" trip report was fantastic (I thoroughly enjoyed reading it) and inspired me to start looking for a used Trophy. I posted a message to you at britrider (asking for info on the Trophys), but was told you were on vacation or something like that, and then the site went down.

                                      Didn't get a chance to meet up with you at the Dragon Raid, and only caught a glimpse of your Trophy during the group picture (you were one of the last to pull in) as it was getting dark. Hated that britrider.com was hacked and the result was a loss of all the past threads...cause the Dayton RATpack ROCKS!!

                                      I highly recommend reading Tom's expose on his time in the Smoky Mountain Park...it is very well documented with photos along with some excellent writing. Kudos to you Tom!!

                                      ~Don DeVine

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 6, 2009
                                        Appreciate the compliment.

                                        Had I had the opportunity to reply to your Trophy inquiry on BritRider, one of the first things I probably would have done would be to point you in the direction of this group. Hehe... but it looks like you found your way anyway. Glad you did! ;)

                                        Tom (SW Ohio)