Re: URGENT! Rear Brake Calipur (Pad replacement!)... (Stuck pins)

  • mattjhb01
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
      Rob, you can get the whole pin/alan-topped pad locator from Sprint for about a tenner if you need to replace it.

      I stuck the calliper in a vice and and used a plumbers wrench on the pad locator to turn it and break the dirt seal, after that the whole lot came out fine, although you obviously need to replace the pad locator (and possibly pin if you cant separate the 2).

      I actually managed to clean up the actual pin that goes in the calliper with a wire brush. Its been good as gold now for quite a while, although I do wiggle the slider bracket every time Im in that area just out of paranoia! lol

      parts if you need them:

      pad locator :
      http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/70231/info.php?p=2&pno=0&pid=1596936&cat=34955&ack=9&search=&sought=

      both slider bracket pins (make sure they send the right 2, they didnt first time for me):
      http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/70231/info.php?p=2&pno=0&pid=1350444&cat=34955&ack=9&search=&sought=

      Hope that helps.

      Matt

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Robert rawson" <OfficerRawson@...> wrote:

      > Hi Paul,
      >
      > I am assuming that the bronzy colour by the base of the pistons is coppercoat and not rust and brake dust. I have my rear calliper off at the moment too and have the problem of a seized brake pad retaining pin which the kind little allen hex head has decided to round off for me! I cannot get to my pistons but was able to push them back using laminate board between the piston and the pad and pushing them back as far as i could. Don't smack them one with some sorrt of instrument though even with a soft piece of wood on top as you will damage the seal and also the piston if not breaking the casting. There all different but try just pushing them back using a piece of wood.
      >
      > Seized Pins
      >
      > Does anyone know how to separate the calliper so i may get behind with molegrips to remove my pins?
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Officer R
      >

      > Guys,
      >
      > Just after a quick bit of advice...
      >
      > http://www.planetcentral.net/calipur.jpg
      >
      > The outer plate moves fine, however am i supposed to be able to push the
      > two pistons back into the housing? Despite having removed the top to the
      > fluid cylinder, and sprayed with WD40 to lubricate a little, they still
      > arent moving.
      >
      > If they are supposed to move, any suggestions on how to???
      >
      > Thanks
      > Paul

    • rebullet
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
        Hi Paul,

        I did my rear caliper this afternoon.
        If you look at the files section of the forum,
        there are a number of photo's of the work.

        the Rubber Seal's can be adversely affected by grease, and they can swell and become displaced, allowing water to get in and rust the sliders, the caliper then gets sticky causing uneven wear on the disk pads and excessive fuel consumption. (Triumph don't sell replacement parts for the rear caliper!!!)

        I found that the following company
        http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/70231/info.php?p=2&pno=0&pid=1350444&cat=34955&ack=9&search=&sought=

        that supplies rubbers, pads and stainless steel replacement sliders...

        so I decided to replace the complete set, and to ensure I didn't have problems with the rubbers swelling again, I bought a small sachet of Rubber lubricant while I was at it...

        the photo's should give you an idea of what I did...
        the mounting plate for the break caliper should have been painted steel on my bike... It was a bit rusty, so while I had it off, I wire brushed it and painted it with Silver Hammerite.

        Hope this info helps... regards John

        Any questions, please contact me.
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Paul <paul@...> wrote:

        > Guys,
        >
        > Just after a quick bit of advice...
        >
        > http://www.planetcentral.net/calipur.jpg
        >
        > The outer plate moves fine, however am i supposed to be able to push the
        > two pistons back into the housing? Despite having removed the top to the
        > fluid cylinder, and sprayed with WD40 to lubricate a little, they still
        > arent moving.
        >
        > If they are supposed to move, any suggestions on how to???
        >
        > Thanks
        > Paul

      • Rod Gill
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
          Hi Paul, there are spreaders you can buy, but chances are you have a g clamp or quick release clamp which operates like a silicone sealant gun in you shed!
          You can put your old pads accross the pistons and then screw or squeeze.
          Just done the same last week
          Rod Uk

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
            Many thanks John/Matt/Rob/Barclay

            Cleaned up the Pad pins - they actually look all ok once cleaned up. The
            spring admittedly could do with replacing, however it's still doing the job.

            In the end, as Matt suggested, loosened the bleed nipple and then forced
            the pistons back with a large plumbers wrench, onto the old pad to
            protect them.
            then it was a simple case of puting the new pads in and re-mounting back
            onto the frame.

            Then the better half called as the truck had broken down (she'd managed
            to flood it and flatten the battery!) she had the littleun with her (2
            months) so off i went to play the knight. Realised half way there on a
            rescue mission that i'd only done the exhaust up half way, and by the
            time i checked i'd lost one side of the rubbers on the exhaust mount and
            the nut/bolt too - leaving the exhaust to bounce!

            Another order in tomorrow methinks!

            So - all working ok - and many thanks again to everyone on the group :)

            Paul

            rebullet wrote:

            > Hi Paul,
            >
            > I did my rear caliper this afternoon.
            > If you look at the files section of the forum,
            > there are a number of photo's of the work.
            >
            > the Rubber Seal's can be adversely affected by grease, and they can
            > swell and become displaced, allowing water to get in and rust the
            > sliders, the caliper then gets sticky causing uneven wear on the disk
            > pads and excessive fuel consumption. (Triumph don't sell replacement
            > parts for the rear caliper!!!)
            >
            > I found that the following company
            > http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/70231/info.php?p=2&pno=0&pid=1350444&cat=34955&ack=9&search=&sought=
            > <http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/70231/info.php?p=2&pno=0&pid=1350444&cat=34955&ack=9&search=&sought=>
            >
            > that supplies rubbers, pads and stainless steel replacement sliders...
            >
            > so I decided to replace the complete set, and to ensure I didn't have
            > problems with the rubbers swelling again, I bought a small sachet of
            > Rubber lubricant while I was at it...
            >
            > the photo's should give you an idea of what I did...
            > the mounting plate for the break caliper should have been painted
            > steel on my bike... It was a bit rusty, so while I had it off, I wire
            > brushed it and painted it with Silver Hammerite.
            >
            > Hope this info helps... regards John
            >
            > Any questions, please contact me.
            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:TriumphTrophy%40yahoogroups.com>, Paul <paul@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Guys,
            > >
            > > Just after a quick bit of advice...
            > >
            > > http://www.planetcentral.net/calipur.jpg
            > <http://www.planetcentral.net/calipur.jpg>
            > >
            > > The outer plate moves fine, however am i supposed to be able to push
            > the
            > > two pistons back into the housing? Despite having removed the top to
            > the
            > > fluid cylinder, and sprayed with WD40 to lubricate a little, they still
            > > arent moving.
            > >
            > > If they are supposed to move, any suggestions on how to???
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Paul

          • john tabberer
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
              Glad to hear that you got it sorted.

              John

              rebullet wrote:

              > Hi Paul,
              >
              > I did my rear caliper this afternoon.
              > If you look at the files section of the forum,
              > there are a number of photo's of the work.
              >
              > the Rubber Seal's can be adversely affected by grease, and they can
              > swell and become displaced, allowing water to get in and rust the
              > sliders, the caliper then gets sticky causing uneven wear on the disk
              > pads and excessive fuel consumption. (Triumph don't sell replacement
              > parts for the rear caliper!!!)
              >
              > I found that the following company
              > http://www.triumphp arts.gbr. cc/70231/ info.php? p=2&pno=0& pid=1350444& cat=34955& ack=9&search= &sought=
              > <http://www.triumphp arts.gbr. cc/70231/ info.php? p=2&pno=0& pid=1350444& cat=34955& ack=9&search= &sought=>
              >
              > that supplies rubbers, pads and stainless steel replacement sliders...
              >
              > so I decided to replace the complete set, and to ensure I didn't have
              > problems with the rubbers swelling again, I bought a small sachet of
              > Rubber lubricant while I was at it...
              >
              > the photo's should give you an idea of what I did...
              > the mounting plate for the break caliper should have been painted
              > steel on my bike... It was a bit rusty, so while I had it off, I wire
              > brushed it and painted it with Silver Hammerite.
              >
              > Hope this info helps... regards John
              >
              > Any questions, please contact me.
              > --- In TriumphTrophy@ yahoogroups. com
              > <mailto:TriumphTrop hy%40yahoogroups .com>, Paul <paul@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Guys,
              > >
              > > Just after a quick bit of advice...
              > >
              > > http://www.planetce ntral.net/ calipur.jpg
              > <http://www.planetce ntral.net/ calipur.jpg>
              > >
              > > The outer plate moves fine, however am i supposed to be able to push
              > the
              > > two pistons back into the housing? Despite having removed the top to
              > the
              > > fluid cylinder, and sprayed with WD40 to lubricate a little, they still
              > > arent moving.
              > >
              > > If they are supposed to move, any suggestions on how to???
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > Paul

            • Robert rawson
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
                Glad your sorted paul,

                not so for me I cannot get the pin out at all but am back at work now so left it soaking in penetrating oil to see if it helps. (not deep soaking just sprayed )

                Officer R