Hand Air deflectors

  • stickey
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
      While at my local Triumph dealer, i came across a set of Triumph hand defectors for a Trophy. but there was no instructions in the package. Has anyone ever fit these? They are not the ones that go on the handle bars. By the black and white pic they gave me, they go on the fairing. I found them in my accessories micro fiche. i have all the pieces but would love to see some installed in a better pic or if someone has the instructions, that would be a big help.

      Thanks,

      Chris
      1998 Trophy 1200
    • JimB
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
        Hi Chris,

        I know that there was a change in the fairings on the Trophy, but I'm not sure when it occurred. The protectors you have may be for a earlier model, check with the dealer about the newer vs older fairing differences.

        Hope this helps: Jim

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "stickey" <stickey24@...> wrote:

        > While at my local Triumph dealer, i came across a set of Triumph hand defectors for a Trophy. but there was no instructions in the package. Has anyone ever fit these? They are not the ones that go on the handle bars. By the black and white pic they gave me, they go on the fairing. I found them in my accessories micro fiche. i have all the pieces but would love to see some installed in a better pic or if someone has the instructions, that would be a big help.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Chris
        > 1998 Trophy 1200

      • Andrew Bell
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
          Hi Chris,

          The few pictures of them I've seen show them clamped or sticky taped to
          the fairing windshield just around the area near the mirrors.

          Hope that helps.

          Andrew

          stickey wrote:
          > While at my local Triumph dealer, i came across a set of Triumph hand defectors for a Trophy. but there was no instructions in the package. Has anyone ever fit these? They are not the ones that go on the handle bars. By the black and white pic they gave me, they go on the fairing. I found them in my accessories micro fiche. i have all the pieces but would love to see some installed in a better pic or if someone has the instructions, that would be a big help.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Chris
          > 1998 Trophy 1200

        • chris palmer
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
            Thank you guys for your help.
            I did figure out that the templates in the kit are for drilling holes in the windshield. they do go up by the mirror. However, they wont fit with my XL clear view shield. So looks like next spring when i put the other windshield on, they will get fitted.
            But if i get a chance, i will snap some pics and put some instructions together for other people who are in my situation.
            But in the mean time, i want to keep my request out for any help,pics of the installed deflectors.

            stickey wrote:

            > While at my local Triumph dealer, i came across a set of Triumph hand defectors for a Trophy. but there was no instructions in the package. Has anyone ever fit these? They are not the ones that go on the handle bars. By the black and white pic they gave me, they go on the fairing. I found them in my accessories micro fiche. i have all the pieces but would love to see some installed in a better pic or if someone has the instructions, that would be a big help.

            > Thanks,

            > Chris

            > 1998 Trophy 1200

          • rick
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "stickey" <stickey24@...> wrote:

              > While at my local Triumph dealer, i came across a set of Triumph hand defectors for a Trophy. but there was no instructions in the package. Has anyone ever fit these?

              Chris,

              I put them on mine quit a few years ago, and they help a little to direct the wind outward away from you body and hands. You are correct on the mouunting. There are two screws - you drill a hole in the windscreen for one screw from behind, and the other hole uses the uppermost windscreen screw.

              They only fit the stock 9 hole windscreen, since they conform to the windscreen shape itself. I'll try to take some pics when I can. Although my machine is a 2000, I found an older 9 hole upper fairing and repainted it, and went back to the 9 hole flip top windscreen. I found that that screen, along with a laminar lip type thing at the top, was quieter and more stable than the newer style. That, plus the hand deflectors, has been a good setup for me over the years.

              Rick Hartwick
            • chris palmer
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
                Thanks Rick!