Re: K&N air filter carb modification

  • tritonrider
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
      Sorry should have said (as part of THEIR sales pitch)

      (Slightly embarrased) Harry

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "tritonrider" <hcapper69@...> wrote:

      > I thought the whole point of K&N filters (as is part of there sales pitch) was that they were a simple yet better replacement for the standard air filter regardless of application, and that re-jetting and retuning or any messing about with the carbs wasn't required.
      >
      > Harry
      >

      > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "motoworld2001" <motoworld2001@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "ldwolfe" <ldwolfe@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I see Poppa Jack mentioned that the carbs need to be re_jetted for an upgrade to K&N air filters. how important is this? if not re-jetted, what can happen? I don't mind changing the notorious air filter, but, I really don't want to fettle with the carbs if I can help it.
      > > > thanx in advance.
      > > > the riding has been phenomenal in upstate N.Y. lately. going to Woodstock this weekend on the Spd III, then it's off to Vt. for 3 days to ride 6 gaps on my beloved trusty mount with the Muse. if anyone would care to hook-up, shout out.
      > > > peace 2 all my fellow Trophy brethren!
      > > >

      > > If you ask me, when it snows up where you live, pull the the air box and carburetors, and do the right thing!
      > > If you want to know what I mean about the right thing, send me a note off line.
      > >
      > > Tom D.

    • KevinH
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
        I'm sure that I've seen a photo somewhere of a Trophy with the airbox removed and a seperate cone shaped K&N filter fitted to each carb. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of this mod?

        WelshKev

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
          I hope you can find that because that makes total sense to me!
          Ed J.

          I'm sure that I've seen a photo somewhere of a Trophy with the airbox
          removed and a seperate cone shaped K&N filter fitted to each carb. Does
          anybody have any experience or knowledge of this mod?

          WelshKev

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "tritonrider" <hcapper69@...> wrote:

          > Sorry should have said (as part of THEIR sales pitch)
          >
          > (Slightly embarrased) Harry
          >
          > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "tritonrider" <hcapper69@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I thought the whole point of K&N filters (as is part of there sales
          pitch) was that they were a simple yet better replacement for the standard
          air filter regardless of application, and that re-jetting and retuning or
          any messing about with the carbs wasn't required.

          > > Harry
          > >

          > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "motoworld2001" <motoworld2001@>
          wrote:

          an upgrade to K&N air filters. how important is this? if not re-jetted, what
          can happen? I don't mind changing the notorious air filter, but, I really
          don't want to fettle with the carbs if I can help it.
          Woodstock this weekend on the Spd III, then it's off to Vt. for 3 days to
          ride 6 gaps on my beloved trusty mount with the Muse. if anyone would care
          to hook-up, shout out.

          > > > If you ask me, when it snows up where you live, pull the the air box
          and carburetors, and do the right thing!
          > > > If you want to know what I mean about the right thing, send me a note
          off line.

          > > > Tom D.

          ------------------------------------

          List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
          agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
          writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
          topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
          except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
          minimum when replying.

        • motoworld2001
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
            Well,
            One would hope that is the case, but in reality, there are many variables that are on the table with what affects air fuel ratios of these (all) machines... Way to many to understand, without testing / mapping the ratios of each cylinder (and collectively) through the rpm range of the engine!

            Sounds like a pain, huh! Well not really if you are willing to go through the process of set up and properly tuning. There is a lot of information already established in the files section, as well as on line at the various manufactures like, Mikuni, K&N, Dyno-Jet, and etc.

            Tom D.