K&N air filter carb modification

  • ldwolfe
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
      I see Poppa Jack mentioned that the carbs need to be re_jetted for an upgrade to K&N air filters. how important is this? if not re-jetted, what can happen? I don't mind changing the notorious air filter, but, I really don't want to fettle with the carbs if I can help it.
      thanx in advance.
      the riding has been phenomenal in upstate N.Y. lately. going to Woodstock this weekend on the Spd III, then it's off to Vt. for 3 days to ride 6 gaps on my beloved trusty mount with the Muse. if anyone would care to hook-up, shout out.
      peace 2 all my fellow Trophy brethren!
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
        Changed to a K&N myself, had carbs rebalanced, no problems.
        Didnt need to re-jet at all.

        Paul

        > I see Poppa Jack mentioned that the carbs need to be re_jetted for
        > an upgrade to K&N air filters. how important is this? if not re-
        > jetted, what can happen? I don't mind changing the notorious air
        > filter, but, I really don't want to fettle with the carbs if I can
        > help it. thanx in advance. the riding has been phenomenal in upstate
        > N.Y. lately. going to Woodstock this weekend on the Spd III, then
        > it's off to Vt. for 3 days to ride 6 gaps on my beloved trusty mount
        > with the Muse. if anyone would care to hook-up, shout out. peace 2
        > all my fellow Trophy brethren!
        ------- End of Original Message -------
      • Allan
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
          6b. Re: K&N air filter carb modification
          Posted by: "Paul" paul@... toibs2005
          Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:29 pm (PDT)

          Changed to a K&N myself, had carbs rebalanced, no problems.
          Didnt need to re-jet at all.

          Paul

          Have a K&N on my '94 900, had bike tuned and dyno'd and original jets were
          fine.
          97bhp at rear wheel.

          Al in Oz

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
            Hello again Idwolfe,
            I ran the K&N air filter for a few years, and it didn't harm my
            bike at all. It was so much trouble to change it, that once I put it
            in, I was too lazy to take it out. I got no improvement in
            performance, in fact I lost a bit on hard acceleration . It was also
            harder to start (but never that hard. I think my mileage went up a
            little, but not enough to make the filter pay off. Looking at the
            stock filter, I'd say you could re-treat it just like the K&N. It is
            well made. When I really noticed the difference was when I changed
            back to the stock filter. The biggest problem with the K&N was that
            it caused the airbox to actually break along the seam on the entire
            bottom of the air-box. I used aluminum tape to reseal it and rode
            with it that way 'till my next service came due. Upon going back to
            the stock set-up, I noticed the easy starting first, then the
            acceleration thru the gears was vastly improved. Sooner or later, I'd
            like to get a set of really good sounding silencers. If and when I do
            change mufflers, I'll go back to a K&N, but I'll do the re-jetting
            this time, and split the rear half of the airbox to make future
            servicing easy (see Files). The 1200/4 has so much horsepower, and
            torque that one could hardly ever need more.
            Kindest regards,
            Poppa jack
            On Sep 29, 2009, at 4:25 PM, ldwolfe wrote:

            > I see Poppa Jack mentioned that the carbs need to be re_jetted for
            > an upgrade to K&N air filters. how important is this? if not re-
            > jetted, what can happen? I don't mind changing the notorious air
            > filter, but, I really don't want to fettle with the carbs if I can
            > help it.
            > thanx in advance.
            > the riding has been phenomenal in upstate N.Y. lately. going to
            > Woodstock this weekend on the Spd III, then it's off to Vt. for 3
            > days to ride 6 gaps on my beloved trusty mount with the Muse. if
            > anyone would care to hook-up, shout out.
            > peace 2 all my fellow Trophy brethren!

          • motoworld2001
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "ldwolfe" <ldwolfe@...> wrote:

              > I see Poppa Jack mentioned that the carbs need to be re_jetted for an upgrade to K&N air filters. how important is this? if not re-jetted, what can happen? I don't mind changing the notorious air filter, but, I really don't want to fettle with the carbs if I can help it.
              > thanx in advance.
              > the riding has been phenomenal in upstate N.Y. lately. going to Woodstock this weekend on the Spd III, then it's off to Vt. for 3 days to ride 6 gaps on my beloved trusty mount with the Muse. if anyone would care to hook-up, shout out.
              > peace 2 all my fellow Trophy brethren!

              If you ask me, when it snows up where you live, pull the the air box and carburetors, and do the right thing!
              If you want to know what I mean about the right thing, send me a note off line.

              Tom D.
            • tritonrider
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
                I thought the whole point of K&N filters (as is part of there sales pitch) was that they were a simple yet better replacement for the standard air filter regardless of application, and that re-jetting and retuning or any messing about with the carbs wasn't required.

                Harry

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "motoworld2001" <motoworld2001@...> wrote:

                > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "ldwolfe" <ldwolfe@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I see Poppa Jack mentioned that the carbs need to be re_jetted for an upgrade to K&N air filters. how important is this? if not re-jetted, what can happen? I don't mind changing the notorious air filter, but, I really don't want to fettle with the carbs if I can help it.
                > > thanx in advance.
                > > the riding has been phenomenal in upstate N.Y. lately. going to Woodstock this weekend on the Spd III, then it's off to Vt. for 3 days to ride 6 gaps on my beloved trusty mount with the Muse. if anyone would care to hook-up, shout out.
                > > peace 2 all my fellow Trophy brethren!
                > >

                > If you ask me, when it snows up where you live, pull the the air box and carburetors, and do the right thing!
                > If you want to know what I mean about the right thing, send me a note off line.
                >
                > Tom D.

              • tritonrider
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Sorry should have said (as part of THEIR sales pitch)

                  (Slightly embarrased) Harry

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "tritonrider" <hcapper69@...> wrote:

                  > I thought the whole point of K&N filters (as is part of there sales pitch) was that they were a simple yet better replacement for the standard air filter regardless of application, and that re-jetting and retuning or any messing about with the carbs wasn't required.
                  >
                  > Harry
                  >

                  > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "motoworld2001" <motoworld2001@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "ldwolfe" <ldwolfe@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I see Poppa Jack mentioned that the carbs need to be re_jetted for an upgrade to K&N air filters. how important is this? if not re-jetted, what can happen? I don't mind changing the notorious air filter, but, I really don't want to fettle with the carbs if I can help it.
                  > > > thanx in advance.
                  > > > the riding has been phenomenal in upstate N.Y. lately. going to Woodstock this weekend on the Spd III, then it's off to Vt. for 3 days to ride 6 gaps on my beloved trusty mount with the Muse. if anyone would care to hook-up, shout out.
                  > > > peace 2 all my fellow Trophy brethren!
                  > > >

                  > > If you ask me, when it snows up where you live, pull the the air box and carburetors, and do the right thing!
                  > > If you want to know what I mean about the right thing, send me a note off line.
                  > >
                  > > Tom D.

                • KevinH
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
                    I'm sure that I've seen a photo somewhere of a Trophy with the airbox removed and a seperate cone shaped K&N filter fitted to each carb. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of this mod?

                    WelshKev

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
                      I hope you can find that because that makes total sense to me!
                      Ed J.

                      I'm sure that I've seen a photo somewhere of a Trophy with the airbox
                      removed and a seperate cone shaped K&N filter fitted to each carb. Does
                      anybody have any experience or knowledge of this mod?

                      WelshKev

                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "tritonrider" <hcapper69@...> wrote:

                      > Sorry should have said (as part of THEIR sales pitch)
                      >
                      > (Slightly embarrased) Harry
                      >
                      > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "tritonrider" <hcapper69@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I thought the whole point of K&N filters (as is part of there sales
                      pitch) was that they were a simple yet better replacement for the standard
                      air filter regardless of application, and that re-jetting and retuning or
                      any messing about with the carbs wasn't required.

                      > > Harry
                      > >

                      > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "motoworld2001" <motoworld2001@>
                      wrote:

                      an upgrade to K&N air filters. how important is this? if not re-jetted, what
                      can happen? I don't mind changing the notorious air filter, but, I really
                      don't want to fettle with the carbs if I can help it.
                      Woodstock this weekend on the Spd III, then it's off to Vt. for 3 days to
                      ride 6 gaps on my beloved trusty mount with the Muse. if anyone would care
                      to hook-up, shout out.

                      > > > If you ask me, when it snows up where you live, pull the the air box
                      and carburetors, and do the right thing!
                      > > > If you want to know what I mean about the right thing, send me a note
                      off line.

                      > > > Tom D.

                      ------------------------------------

                      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
                      agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
                      writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
                      topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
                      except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
                      minimum when replying.

                    • motoworld2001
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
                        Well,
                        One would hope that is the case, but in reality, there are many variables that are on the table with what affects air fuel ratios of these (all) machines... Way to many to understand, without testing / mapping the ratios of each cylinder (and collectively) through the rpm range of the engine!

                        Sounds like a pain, huh! Well not really if you are willing to go through the process of set up and properly tuning. There is a lot of information already established in the files section, as well as on line at the various manufactures like, Mikuni, K&N, Dyno-Jet, and etc.

                        Tom D.