Question / Advice Please - Missing Oil Filter Washers

  • mailman93060
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
      Just did my first oil change on the Trophy 1200. The washers that sit on either end of the oil filter were missing. I went ahead and installed the filter. No external leaks (would not expect any).

      Should I get some washers and replace immediately or is it OK to wait for my next oil change? I plan to change the oil and replace the filter every 3,500 miles. Fully synthetic Mobil 1.

      Thanks for your advice.

      John F
      1996 BBBB BRG
      45,500 miles
    • nort75mk3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
        John

        I too had a missing washer on my Trident from the factory. I;m guessing
        they protect the filter and help secure it in place in case the rubber filter
        ring in the center of the filter rolls off the filter housing. If you
        notice when you slide the filter on the shaft you could inadvertently push the
        rubber ring off the filter if your not careful. The missing washers are
        very thin material and maybe help support the spring tension against the
        filter too? my $.02

        Tim
        96 trident
        96 thunderbird
        USA
        steps!
        =JulystepsfooterNO115)

      • Rod Gill
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
          Why do you want to change the oil so often? Do you do short runs only, low mileage throughout the year or use cheap oil? These bikes are extremely robust and if Triumph say 6000 miles they are being conservative to cover their backs like most manufactures. No issues, genuine supprise.
          Rod . Uk

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
            Hey Rod,
            Funny you should ask. I have always been fanatical about changing my oil. The most miles I ever squeezed out of a motor was 315,000. That was an old American Motors 232 cu. in. inline 6. I changed the oil every 2500 miles. I always used Pennzoil.

            I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic on the Trophy. 4 quarts costs $50 US. 3500 miles seems like the right amount. I just can't see going 6000 miles on an oil change. It may not be logical or economical, but I'm pretty sure it's good for the bike.

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Rod Gill <rod999_5@...> wrote:

            > Why do you want to change the oil so often? Do you do short runs only, low mileage throughout the year or use cheap oil? These bikes are extremely robust and if Triumph say 6000 miles they are being conservative to cover their backs like most manufactures. No issues, genuine supprise.
            > Rod . Uk
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Rod Gill
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
              Interesting, modern oils especially synthetics  are geared to do wonders. I have a friend who has a Vw van with oil changes at 30,000 miles from new and another who has a vw (includes Skoda, Seat) car which has service oil changes at 36,000 miles, oil is about £60 per can and warranty is void if you use the wrong stuff. I agree with preventitive measures and oil changes are essential but you do not have a 1980's suzuki 250.
              Whatever you do is ok by me, but I have to say costly.
              Kindest Regards
              Rod Uk

              ________________________________
              Funny you should ask. I have always been fanatical about changing my oil. The most miles I ever squeezed out of a motor was 315,000. That was an old American Motors 232 cu. in. inline 6. I changed the oil every 2500 miles. I always used Pennzoil.

              I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic on the Trophy. 4 quarts costs $50 US. 3500 miles seems like the right amount. I just can't see going 6000 miles on an oil change. It may not be logical or economical, but I'm pretty sure it's good for the bike.

              --- In TriumphTrophy@ yahoogroups. com, Rod Gill <rod999_5@.. .> wrote:

              > Why do you want to change the oil so often? Do you do short runs only, low mileage throughout the year or use cheap oil? These bikes are extremely robust and if Triumph say 6000 miles they are being conservative to cover their backs like most manufactures. No issues, genuine supprise.
              > Rod . Uk
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • mailman93060
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
                Thanks for your point of view, Rod. My practice is more costly. An additional concern is the environmental impact. If changing the oil every 3,500 miles provides no real benefit versus 6,000 miles, I should be open to change.

                Old habits die hard. I'm going to give the 6,000 miles a try as long as I don't start twitching.

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Rod Gill <rod999_5@...> wrote:

                > Interesting, modern oils especially synthetics  are geared to do wonders. I have a friend who has a Vw van with oil changes at 30,000 miles from new and another who has a vw (includes Skoda, Seat) car which has service oil changes at 36,000 miles, oil is about £60 per can and warranty is void if you use the wrong stuff. I agree with preventitive measures and oil changes are essential but you do not have a 1980's suzuki 250.
                > Whatever you do is ok by me, but I have to say costly.
                > Kindest Regards
                > Rod Uk
                >

                > ________________________________

              • mailman93060
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
                  I think I'll do an oil analysis to compare. I'll do the next oil change at 3,500 miles. (The missing washer is bugging me; I'm already developing a nervous tick about that.) After that, I'll do 6,000 miles. It will be interesting to see the differences.

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Rod Gill <rod999_5@...> wrote:

                  > Interesting, modern oils especially synthetics  are geared to do wonders. I have a friend who has a Vw van with oil changes at 30,000 miles from new and another who has a vw (includes Skoda, Seat) car which has service oil changes at 36,000 miles, oil is about £60 per can and warranty is void if you use the wrong stuff. I agree with preventitive measures and oil changes are essential but you do not have a 1980's suzuki 250.
                  > Whatever you do is ok by me, but I have to say costly.
                  > Kindest Regards
                  > Rod Uk
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • philipwallington
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
                    Hi all - I've tried to stay quiet - but here's my 2 cents - Mobil 1 seems to be quite remarkable in my experience - which I must add is mainly car based rather than bikes. I currently run a diesel turbo with 130k miles on it - almost all put on by me and driven hard - and I continue to be amazed at the job Mobil 1 does - the scheduled oil change interval is 18000 miles and I haven't bothered to shorten it - but on 2 occasions I have had cause to take a look at the internals (both component failures unrelated to lubrication) and they remain spotless - no residues or build up at all - it literally looks brand new in there. And the engine is still in superb shape - burns no oil at all and is as strong as the day I bought it - 128k ago.

                    I have always been sceptical about the 'short' intervals between changes on the bike - yes, I know the duty cycle is different, etc, etc. But it would be good to hear any good scientific justification.

                    But - just my .02

                    Philip
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
                      Hi Poppa Jack here,
                      I rode Harley -
                      for 25 years , almost exclusively. Because it was an air cooled
                      bike (I always ran a Volks Wagon oil cooler) , I'd change my oil at
                      about every 1500 miles, if I was mostly riding around town in hot
                      weather. But, if I did a long trip, I'd just add a bit of fresh 50
                      weight, as it was needed. It always used a little oil due to the
                      chain oiler. I rode my '73 for well over 100,000 miles, and never
                      even did a ring job, or anything major.
                      Now I'm a proud owner of a '95 Trophy BBBB_Brg. I wanted to run
                      the best oil I could find so I did some extensive , and serious
                      study. I made friends of a chemical engineer , who works for a major
                      (and very popular oil company). Over coffee and lunch on several
                      occasions, we talked oil. I have a very strong Organic chem back-
                      ground, and so his tech phrases don't often lose me. The final just
                      of motorbike oil. particularly the MOBIL-Ti, boils down to this. All
                      motorcycle specific oils are excellent, in as much as they are made
                      to not negatively effect the modern wet clutches. They are also made
                      to have higher "shear resistant" qualities, and a higher ability to
                      shed the inherent high heat generated by the performance required by
                      our modern high revving engined bikes. 10 to 15,000 rph engines
                      require special oils, and additives.
                      My Trophy had MOBILE - T-1 recommended, but I couldn't find any
                      real difference in the chemical evidence of any differences in the
                      chemical make-up of the oil, once the oil had been brought up to high
                      performance operating temps. Come to find out, there is an additional
                      additive in the "T-1" OIL, AT LOWER OPERATING TEMPS! But after a very
                      short time , at higher engine loads, the additive undergoes a
                      chemical change that renders the oil to be the same properties as the
                      plain MOBIL-1. Still an excellent lubricant. His final advise for me
                      was , Keep running the MOBILE-1, and don't waste the extra money.
                      His company had tested, by "Micro measuring" every thing in the TR
                      engine, and the results was very positive. He didn't suggest the oil
                      from the oil company he was employed by, but did say, "Stick with
                      plain 15w-50 MOBILE #1.
                      I've stuck with his advice for 14 years now, and never once had
                      to ad oil between changes.
                      Kindest regards, Especially to Ken (just how do you cut off the
                      repeating posts, Ken? Can you give us a "How TO?)
                      Poppa Jack

                    • Greg Andrews
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
                        Hi Jack,
                        Thanks for the oil lesson. I also run Mobil 1 in both of my Trophys.

                        As for editing, it's no too hard. First press the reply box at the end of the post. This new page is the one you will edit. Just use the left click button on your mouse to high-lite a line or more, then press the back space button. There its gone. Hold the mouse down and begin scrolling to the bottom of the page. It should high-lite everything you scrolled over, press backspace and it's gone.
                        I do wonder if our reply should be put before or after the post we are responding to.
                        Greg Andrews
                        '95 900 Nightshade
                        '96 900 BRG

                        Hi Poppa Jack here, I'm a proud owner of a '95 Trophy BBBB_Brg.