Re: [TriumphTrophy] burning left leg on my 1200 trophy

  • Steve Walker
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
      Well Poppa Jack

      I ride a sunset red 1200 and afternoons here in VA on the interstate are
      just hot, the Trophy makes them very hot. If you don't move your leg out
      from either side of the tank, it will get scorched, in shorts it would be
      first degree burns. I've had this Trophy from Bar Harbor Maine, to Key West
      Fla, and it can cook you. That same warmth is very comforting at 4 am while
      riding white knuckled through white tail country and dodging possum,
      rabbits, foxes and bobcats. My air dam only goes down about half way across
      the gas tank and then it's open into the engine compartment. The worst
      part of 35 miles of 4 lane is the tire gets very little miles before it's
      flat across the middle and worn out, and yet there is lots of tread on
      either side. Seems as though it needs a new tire every 5 thousand miles or
      so.

      On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:

      > Hi Swalker,
      > I was wondering what year model you Trophy is? Mine is a '95, and
      > it has a sort of air dam inside the fairing that forces all the hot
      > air from the motor to blow out of the big vents on each side. Perhaps
      > that dam is missing on your bike. This would cause the hot air to hit
      > your leg. I've not heard many mentions about the heat from anyone else.
      > Kindest regards,
      > Poppa Jack
      >
      > On Jul 5, 2009, at 8:35 AM, swalker wrote:
      >

      > > I drive 35 miles one way to and from work,, 4 am and 1 pm. That
      > > drive home
      > > is just like yours, hot as hell. I can't afford to go Japanese, so
      > > I just
      > > ride with my legs away from the bike. If I dressed like a BMW rider
      > > with
      > > full riding gear every time I crawled on it, the heat probably
      > > wouldn't
      > > bother me, just thinking out loud. I have no fix except keep your
      > > legs away
      > > and let the heat dissipate between you and the bike, or wear riding
      > > pants
      > > that insulate you from heat and cold.
      > >

      > > tony.p wrote:
      > > >
      > > > help i have just bought my first trophy, love the bike BUT the
      > > heat coming
      > > > up by my thighs is unbearable fluids are good oil is good and it
      > > gets
      > > > worse on the motorway IT IS NOT OVERHEATING so before i go back
      > > to the
      > > > dark side and buy japanese can anyone help
      > > >

      > > --

      Steve Walker
      Mornings on Generations 102.3 www.generations1023.com
      814-243-1008 Cell
      http://www.myspace.com/stevewalkeronair
      http://stevewalizer.voice123.com

    • Teifeld Fred
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
        One is the vent hose from the fuel tank and the other is the overflow
        hose from the fuel tank.

        No ignorance perceived at all- Welcome to ownership of one of the most
        unique and coolest
        ST bikes out there.

        -Fred Teifeld
        Chicago, IL

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
          Thanks for the kind response. I know my way around and old Bonneville but
          this new fangled sheenery is something else! (;-)
          Ed J.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
            You're very welcome, Ed. This list has been a great resource for me
            over the past 5 years of owning my
            2002 Envy Green Trophy and you'll find this to be a very helpful group.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
              Now that I think of it, I guess I've had times crossing the desert
              when I had to stick both of my knees out to cool down. It's not often
              that hot here in Orange County, Ca.
              Poppa Jack

            • brillooo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
                Part of the heat is from the gas in the tank. Engine heat warms the fuel
                and if you're hugging the tank with your knees you'll notice in hot
                weather. Moving you knees away from the tank 1/2 to 3/4 inch make it hardly
                noticeable. If you ever ride in cold weather snuggling up to the tank is nice.
                If you're riding in shorts and flip-flops maybe you should be riding a
                bicycle.

                In a message dated 7/5/2009 8:57:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                jackbyers@... writes:

                Now that I think of it, I guess I've had times crossing the desert
                when I had to stick both of my knees out to cool down. It's not often
                that hot here in Orange County, Ca.

              • bienterry
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 6, 2009
                  I love my Trophy but there are two things about it that are a constant nag. One is the sheer weight of the beastie making it difficult to manoeuver at walking pace or parking
                  The other is the engine heat!
                  Yes I have the same trouble with heat from the engine of my 1200 making it so hot around the legs I don't ride after 11 am. I live in Provence and the normal afternoon temperatures here in the hills is around 33 degrees C.
                  I can live with the weight but the heat is so tiring after about 50 kilometers or so that I am considering changing the Trophy. Something with a smaller engine and perhaps a half fairing. Or dare I say it, even a scooter.......
                  No, just kiding.
                  You could say the Street Triple would fit the bill but in my old age I am no longer competitive, or maybe I have just grown up. Anyway I wouldn't want the hassle and my wife wouldn't fit on the back…….… the Kawasaki Versys is appealing though
                • Ron Willoughby
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 6, 2009
                    I have a 95 Trophy and have no problem with heat and I live in Arizona. The bike has very good airflow management for the heat from the engine. However, there are several air dams under the fairing that direct the heat away from the rider. Check the parts fiche diagrams for what they are and how they are positioned. They are very important. I just ordered and got last year the the large foam airdam on top of the engine under the tank so they are still available to order. Other touring bikes like the FJR1300 have much more heat on the legs than the Trophy; at leart the 95 models.

                  • philipwallington
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 6, 2009
                      OK - I've stayed quiet long enough - but please, are we men or mice?

                      First observation - if you're wearing anything other than cheesecloth shorts you shouldn't really notice the heat - and why do otherwise sane people ride motorcycles without the proper gear on anyway??

                      Second observation - if the Trophy's too hot for you - get a Sprint (pre 2000) - it's the same bike underneath and there's much more room for the warm air to escape - unless it's from inside the helmet - LOL.

                      Sorry - rant over

                      Philip

                      '98 Trophy
                      '98 Sprint Exec