Err.. maybe not my output shaft seal.

  • Mike Coustier
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2009
      Replaced the seal a couple months back ( along with clutch pushrod seal. )

      Never really fixed the oil leak.

      After a very hot ride this weekend ( and a few more times with the transmission popping out of gear on deceleration ), the oil leak got very bad.

      I pulled the cover off again, and it doesn't look like the output shaft seal per se... what is this?
      Looking at the photos, you'll notice the inside and outside edges of the seal look dry. The actual leak appears to eminate from between the shaft and the sleeve.

      http://www.coustier.com/newoil2.jpg
      http://www.coustier.com/newoil3.jpg
    • Bob Micheletti
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
        I don't have the shop manual near me but I suspect that there is an o-ring between the collier and the shaft. Usually the collier has a chamfer on the inside and the o-ring seals between that chamfer and the radius in the shaft where it increases in diameter to stop the collier. Pull the collier out and look to see if the o-ring is split or missing. It may also just be squashed and hard so won't conform to the curve.

        Bob
        02 !!!S California

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
          Bob,
          Thanks for the time to comment.
          Per the bikebandit fiche, there doesn't appear to be an o-ring between the collar and the shaft. See link below for ref picture.

          The collar appears to be pressed in ... it is not coming off easily.

          The shaft doesn't seem to move up/down/left/right... it feels tight.

          http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Triumph/TR-0606-2237.gif

          Mike

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1 9:25 AM
            I see what you mean but it doesn't make sense to me. The seal only seals the case to the sleeve. Without an o-ring to seal the sleeve to the shaft oil can work it's way between the two which is exactly what you described. I would try to get that sleeve off and seal it with Hylomer or silicone.

            Hope this helps,
            Bob 02 !!!S

            PS thanks for reminding that Bike Bandit has the slides on line.