Some more questions about my problems at 12,000 miles

  • techshare26
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2009
      Haven't had time to work on the bike this week so it's all apart in the garage. Well, the carbs are off and the airbox. Hope I still got all the screws!

      Anyway, I plan on going through the Haynes manual some more with regard to cleaning the carbs and *maybe* do the valve adjustment if I can get the tool. Noting the bike was having some bad running problems before I took things apart and they didn't seem to be solved by plugging the missing vac cap.

      - What else should I do considering this mileage?

      Spark plugs (have never changed them that I know of)?

      What exactly should I check out on the carbs besides the thin baffles and basic cleaning?

      Air filter/box? I see it has the foam filter in there. I don't recall if it's ever been changed. Doesn't look filthy, but then again it's pitch black so I can't tell.

      Anything else I haven't thought of that would be needing attention at this mileage? Fuel and air lines were replaced about 6K miles and a few years ago (as far as I know) from some ripoff Honda dealer I took the bike to in orlando. I think they did some maintenance on the carbs or something too.

      Off the topic of the engine, I've been concerned about the brakes on the bike. The pads and calipers have never been changed as far as I know. How many miles or how can I check them out?

      Thanks!
    • techshare26
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2009

      • peteforest@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2009
          Hi there,

          At 12000 miles its due for a full service and I would have thought while
          its partially stripped down its a good time to check out a manual as there
          may be items like the swing arm needs greasing. my own 900 last had a dealer
          service two years ago and other than an oil and filter change which I did
          myself its run great with only tyre pressures and battery to keep an eye on.
          Scottoiler looks after the chain, no adjustment needed, no oil needed for
          top up and touch wood it starts and runs fine. I use it every weekend and
          Tuesdays. it will be stripped this winter for me to do a major service,
          local dealers charge too much. Its done 51000 mls

          Pete

        • jim.miles96
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2009
            If you want the bike to run right and be dependable I suggest complying with each and every single item in the preventive maintenance section.

            You will indeed find a few valves out of limits and need the adjustment at 12K.

            Yes, change the spark plugs like the book tells you too. Note the type of plug that it calls for is what some on here call the "summer" plug. This is the only plug that Triumph recommends but NKG gives an option for a hotter "winter" plug. I have never understood why NKG recommends one that Triumph doesn't. I run what Triumph says. You won't have any problems with either plug but it's something to consider. My bike had the winter plug in it when I got it and I didn't realize it until thousands of miles later.

            If you haven't done the rear brakes yet you will find that the pins are sticking and causing the pad to wear out. Use copper based anti-seize on the pins after you clean and inspect everything.

            Steering head bearings, per the book.

            Forks, per the book.

            Jim
            2003 Trophy 1200