Spring startup: problems, (Fuel leaks)

  • Guy Dallaire
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hello everybody,

      Yesterday, I started the bike after a long winter. I had put fuel stabilizer in the topped tank and drained the carbs, but it's been 7-8 months before I started the bike.

      I primed the carbs and started the bike with the choke on, it started fine. I forgot to put the fuel knob in the "on" position for maybe 2-3 minutes...

      Now, the bike was having a hard time running with the choke off, I did a small test ride in the street (I did not have my helmet) and it died as soon as I removed the choke. It eventually worked but there was some black smoke (too rich I guess) for a while and it was not running great. It also stank a lot.

      I presume the old fuel is the culprit. But I still have a problem:

      I noticed that the left hand carbs while leaning on the stand was dripping fuel (drops) after turning the engine off, it stopped leaking after a while.

      May I have simply overflowed the carbs while on prime ?

      I'm not in position to fiddle with the carbs right now. Can I ride the bike if it continues to drip ? I have a maintenance on due next friday (valves) but the nearest dealer is 300 km away.

      Any help or suggestion appreciated.
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi All;
        Newbie here as I just purchased a 2001 Trophy that I'm trying to
        learn my way around. I'm also new to the street as I am a retired flat
        tracker, from the sixties, that recently started riding again after a 40
        year "Pit Stop"!(;-)
        Mu immediate quandary is in regard to the fuel knob. Triangular in
        shape, the point is pointing straight up. There is an indentation on the
        fairing to the right of said knob. I asked the person I bought it from how
        this worked and he said "Just leave it where it is and don't run out of gas!
        I never move it" This apparently was successful for him as he put 47,000
        miles on it. My curiosity gets the best of me, however, when I'm not sure
        how something works so I looked in the owners manual. I am now more confused
        than I was before. What are the functional positions of this knob and what
        does it do?
        Ed J.
        1964 Bonneville
        2001 Trophy
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
          Another ignorant question from a newbie that I couldn't find
          sufficient information using the "Search" function.
          I find the Trophy to be a little quieter than I'd like compared to my old
          '64 Bonneville. The suggestions I've heard so far is to bore out the baffles
          with a 7/8" hole saw, a 1" hole saw, [both on long extensions.], and of
          course new pipes that run in the neighborhood of $700 for the pair.
          $700 right now seems like a pretty steep investment for a 71 year
          old on a fixed income so that narrows my options down to the hole saw route.
          My questions become; "Do I use the 7/8" or 1" hole saw? Does it really make
          that much difference in the sound? Will I need to re-jet if I do this?"
          Other suggestion are welcomed as well.
          Regards
          Ed J.

          1964 Bonneville
          2001 Trophy
        • Ian Bishop
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
            Hi Ed J,
            I too am new to this forum, only had my 96 Trophy 900 for 6 weeks, I had the same problem however I discovered that the Vacuum pipe from the center carb to the fuel tap had a split in it, I changed the pipe and now the fuel tap works as it should, you will need to remove the tank, be carefull as the pipe work does not allow a lot of room to un-clip it, you will have to turn the fuel tap to ON position befor you do the job otherwise the setting that uou are on (Prime) will allow fuel to just run out of the pipe, Hope This helps you
            Regards
            Ian

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
              Hi there Ed and welcome.

              The fuel tap is vacuum operated in normal use and the control knob has 3 intended positions. Where you have it, with the triangle pointing upwards is the prime position - with increased flow rate if you hold it in gently. This allows you to fill the float bowls if teh bike has been standing for any time, overriding the cvacuum operated tap.

              With the triangle pointing towards the rear wheel, the tap is in the normal 'run' position - fuel will only flow if there is a vacuum present at the take off point on the carbs - ie, engine running (or at least cranking?). Engine stops - fuel flow stops too - neat and safe.

              If you run low on fuel, turning the tap so the triangle points down switches to reserve (a lower pick up point in the tank) - generally reckoned to be around a gallon but don't trust it until you've tried it!!

              Now for the disclaimer - be VERY careful if the tap hasn't been moved for a long time - the back of the knob is fragile and will break at the least opportunity if the tap is stuck. My advice this first time is to remove the knob and use a pair of grips on the tap shaft to get it turning freely - mine was stuck fast when I got the bike. While the knob is off, fill the voids in it with epoxy putty or something similar to reinforce it.

              Good luck

              Philip
            • philipwallington
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                Personally?? - don't bother - it won't make it perform any better and will probably speed up the internal corrosion.

                Just my 2 cents

                Philip
              • Jim Gray
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                  Dear Ed,
                  Welcome to the group! I have been a subscriber for just over a year now and have yet to hear much on this subject. Although this subject is personal to me as when I bought my 2000 BRG 1200 someone had all ready bored out the rear of each can with eight 7/8" holes (unsure how deep the boring is). I can tell you that it certainly increases the noise level. Especially for the rider and passenger as the gracious fairings block much wind from allowing the wind to take the sound downwind. Don't get me wrong, it is bearable and by no means a baffle-less roar. Since I have owned my bike there has always been a rich mixture problem and at idle a very prominent "popping" sound from the pipes. I took it to a Triumph dealer and the mechanic said the air/fuel mixture is not correct, leading me to believe that when the cans were drilled the carbs were never matched. Currently my bike is at the dealer getting this fuel mixture problem fixed. I was told that each
                  carb has an adjustment screw that has a factory brass or copper plug blocking the screw from tampering with the factory settings. The mechanic said it can be drilled out and adjusted, but rather tricky getting all four carbs in sync. So I caved in and allowed them to handle to task. I am hoping to have my bike back within a week and will be glad to report the "new" bike experience.
                  I hope this helps! Many safe miles ahead to all!
                  :) Jim
                   Sacramento California

                  .

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                    Thanks Philip. Very thorough and informative. The disclaimer also explains
                    why the knob is new and there is old one in one of the panniers. (;-) The
                    knob does move freely so apparently it's just be repaired recently. I picked
                    it up from the shop that has done all the service on it and they were pretty
                    straight forward with all the information I asked about. I just didn't
                    understand how much I didn't know yet! (;-)
                    Thanks again for you help and the warm welcome to the group.
                    Ed J.

[...]

                    ------------------------------------

                    List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add
                    agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original
                    writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented
                    topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed,
                    except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a
                    minimum when replying.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                      Hey Jim! Thanks! Sacramento is one my favorite places. I was dear friends
                      with the owners of the Trophy Club so how ironic is this? [I was an
                      entertainer in those days!]
                      I have pretty much decided to leave the bike alone! My wife says she
                      loves the sound of it and beings that I'm not one of those that is going to
                      be BEHIND it, let them suffer. If they can't hear me sneaking up on them,
                      then going past, that's their problem! Right?
                      Thanks for your input.
                      Regards
                      Ed J.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                        Problem automagically fixed itself....

                        I probably drowned the carbs when I started the bike. Went for a 180km spin and no drip, bike running just fine off choke.

                        Thanks
                      • nort75mk3@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                          Bad gas, stuck float and fouled plugs. And probably the pilot jets are
                          plugged. Oh, and lack of use ,...

                          Tim
                          96 trident
                          96 thunderbird
                          USA
                          Steps!
                          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377040x1201454360/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
                          eExcfooterNO62)

                        • nort75mk3@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                            Wishing you both many safe and care free miles ..................Cheers !

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                              Dear Jimmy,
                              Again, I'v got the bug to make, my older (one a '95 Triumph ,
                              Trophy fairly just to slightly ,. Imporve power. I've changed the
                              carberater, bye punching soft metal pot metalplugs ovre, that rest
                              older the jets, (likely "puter" Plugs that blocked the tuning of the
                              low speeds adjusted smoothe slowspeed circuit. Standard, once you
                              get to the jets, We will be able to turn the mains two& and 1/2 turns
                              to in to just a mildly seat, (, and just this should really add to
                              our performance, Over-all On Jun 1, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Jim Gray wrote:
                              Hi "E", Ilivrat knott, and LaPalma too. I've not known anybody, was
                              any where near me 8275196.
                              is the, local #. Give me a call!
                              Kingly,
                              Poppa Jack

> [...]
                              > Other suggestion are welcomed as well. If your plan just to get
                              > just a more troatyl machine sown, the to best to keep the noise
                              > ieavles, just to keep your to just to grt a more thoarty soug,
                              > with just just turn to a melodic If your plan to increase both a
                              > compression sound. Try the drilling first, ans you can just tighten
                              > big sheetmetal backed , and screw suitable size sheet metal screws
                              > it to the drilled holes, and "presto" cagengo. 92 decibles.
                              >
                              > Somethins if you get caught. offerto put in plsce to ceace the
                              > hostilitiys. LOv cut dersses, and a flirty bit of attention, might
                              > get you a watning.
                              >

                              > Kindest regards, Poppa Jack. I live in Buera Park, at Laplma, and
                              > Knoow
                              > Regards
                              >
                              > 1964 Bonneville
                              > 2001 Trophy
                              > PS. I really have fallen for a rumply sound

                            • jim schisler
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                                Ed Johnson wrote:

                                > Another ignorant question from a newbie that I couldn't find
                                > sufficient information using the "Search" function.
                                > I find the Trophy to be a little quieter than I'd like compared to my old
                                > '64 Bonneville. The suggestions I've heard so far is to bore out the
                                > baffles
                                > with a 7/8" hole saw, a 1" hole saw, [both on long extensions.], and of
                                > course new pipes that run in the neighborhood of $700 for the pair.
                                > $700 right now seems like a pretty steep investment for a 71 year
                                > old on a fixed income so that narrows my options down to the hole saw
                                > route.
                                > My questions become; "Do I use the 7/8" or 1" hole saw? Does it really
                                > make
                                > that much difference in the sound? Will I need to re-jet if I do this?"
                                > Other suggestion are welcomed as well.
                                >
                                > _._,___
                                Hi Ed J.
                                I did these mods some time ago and here is my testimony on a 1200.
                                1" drill is too big. 7/8" just fits with bit extension. It will not
                                make a big difference
                                in sound or performance, unless your pulling uphill hard.
                                No need to rejet but I did the carb idle mixture mods because I just
                                don't like lean engine running, not
                                that you need to do this for the muffler mod. If you do the carb mod
                                make sure you
                                sync the carbs afterward. happy hunting! -jims
                              • Chris Tate
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Johnson" <edljohnson2@...> wrote:
                                  ><Snip>
                                  > My immediate quandary is in regard to the fuel knob.
                                  > What are the functional positions of this knob and what
                                  > does it do?

                                  Hi Ed

                                  Philip has given an excellent description in his reply to you, but if you need more there is a picture in the files section. Go to Files, then ALL_FAQ, then fueltap.jpg

                                  This shows the original markings which may have faded over time to become illegible.

                                  To any newcomer I would recommend a trawl through the files section.

                                  Chris
                                • Jacques, Martin, VF-Group
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                                    I have left the fuel knob on Reserve ever since buying the bike 18
                                    months and 25,000 miles ago. I use the fuel gauge to tell me when to
                                    fill up, never touch the fuel knob, and never had any issues at all. As
                                    an added point on my 03, when the fuel gauge registers absolutely empty,
                                    there is still a good 1 to 1.5l of 'safety margin' in the tank.

                                    Just my 2p.

                                    Martin
                                    03 1200 in graphite, 35k miles.
                                    Bath, England

                                  • Bob Micheletti
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                                      Ed,

                                      Also in the Photos section, under fuel tap you will see the "epoxy putty" mod that keeps the knob from failing

                                      Tons of great knowledge here. Keep digging.

                                      Bob Micheletti
                                      01 !!!S

                                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Tate" <chris@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Johnson" <edljohnson2@> wrote:
                                      > ><Snip>
                                      > > My immediate quandary is in regard to the fuel knob.
                                      > > What are the functional positions of this knob and what
                                      > > does it do?
                                      >

                                      > Hi Ed
                                      >
                                      > Philip has given an excellent description in his reply to you, but if you need more there is a picture in the files section. Go to Files, then ALL_FAQ, then fueltap.jpg
                                      >
                                      > This shows the original markings which may have faded over time to become illegible.
                                      >
                                      > To any newcomer I would recommend a trawl through the files section.
                                      >
                                      > Chris

                                    • Short R
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                                        Hi Guy, Just had the same problem. The orings in the carbs had dried out over the winter. When I took them out they just crumbled. Quick fix  from the suszi dealer for parts and away you go. Check your oil to make sure you did'nt get any in the crankcase as the fuel leaks into the the number 1 cylinder then back into the airbox. Good luck

                                        Richard

                                        Hello everybody,

                                        Yesterday, I started the bike after a long winter. I had put fuel stabilizer in the topped tank and drained the carbs, but it's been 7-8 months before I started the bike.

                                      • Greg Andrews
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 3, 2009
                                          Hi Jack, Did you notice the engine sound to be quieter during idle after turning out the idle air screws? You also might try raising each of the needles one notch. One way to tell if the needles should go up is: when tach says 4,000 whack open the throttle, if there is a hesitation in power, raising the needles one notch will get rid of the hesitation.
                                          Greg Andrews