Re: [TriumphTrophy] Replacement battery

  • Jon Nelson
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2009
      On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:05 AM, Guy Dallaire <clepeterd@...> wrote:

      > Hello there !
      >
      > During winter, I discovered that my battery would not fully charge. There is
      > a lot of fluid missing in the battery, I guess because it's so damn hot
      > under this seat !
      >
      > I have a 96 BBBB and I need a replacement battery.
      >
      > I looked in the files section, and discovered that I could use a sealed
      > battery instead (Yuasa YTX16-BS or YTX16-BS) but those batteries have the
      > poles inverted !
      >
      > Anyone has a suggestion for a sealed battery with the correct polarity for a
      > triumph trophy 1200 1996 ?

      Batteries Plus has an AGM that is a great battery, for a reasonable
      price. I can't say I'm generally a fan of Yuasa, having had quite a
      few bad or short-life batteries from them in the past. This last year,
      I stored my '99 BBBS and in the spring it cranked right over without
      issue. I did not (and do not) maintain the battery over the winter.
      Personally, I feel that charging over the winter does more harm than
      good. Ideally, remove the battery and store in your basement over the
      winter, if you have to store your bikes the way we do.

      --
      Jon
    • Ken Hastie
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2009

        I don't agree.

        Lead Acid batteries need to be kept fully charged for greater life and
        performance.

        There is a plethora of documentation available from most of the battery
        manufacturers and others that would confirm this.

        I believe the issue is whether you are correctly charging and maintaining
        batteries.

        Some maintenance chargers will eventually cause the liquid contents to
        reduce in volume which in turn cuases damage.

        There are 'smart' chargers out there that work very well.

        For what it's worth I find the Aldi smart chargers to be very good. I have
        had problems with Optimate.

        To leave the battery completely untouched for 6 months or so is generally
        accepted as not being the best action you can take but of you must do this
        then I would suggest removing it from the bike to avoid any drain from the
        bike's electrical system, whether intentional or not.

        Ken the Geordie SST 13
        BSA A75R, A10, B40, D10, Triumph Trophy 1200
      • Ken Hastie
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2009

          I would have thought that is an easy obstacle to overcome with longer leads
          ?

          Ken the Geordie SST 13
          BSA A75R, A10, B40, D10, Triumph Trophy 1200
        • Guy Dallaire
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2009
            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hastie" <ken@...> wrote:

            > I would have thought that is an easy obstacle to overcome with longer leads
            > ?

            I'm mechanically challenged and I don't want to have to cut wires, etc...
          • Ken Hastie
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2009

              You extend the leads, not cut them. You really feel that is beyond your
              capabilities?

              Be adventurous... 8-)

              Get two short leads, join them to the originals with a nut and bolt; wrap
              the join in self-amalgamating tape.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2009
                On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Ken Hastie <ken@...> wrote:

> [...]

                Whatever. I get, on average, more than 7 years out of better-quality
                AGM powersports batteries. It works for me.

                --
                Jon
              • Ken Hastie
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2009

                  You just reminded me what a great film Kevin & Perry go Large was 8-)

                  Look, you made a statement which could mislead people into shortening the
                  life of their batteries.

                  > >> Personally, I feel that charging over the winter does more harm than
                  > >> good. Ideally, remove the battery and store in your basement over the
                  > >> winter, if you have to store your bikes the way we do.

                  That statement isn't hard to challenge and I personally believe it is one
                  that has no basis in fact, so should be challenged.

                  Not keeping your battery fully charged leads to sulphation which is damaging
                  to the battery.

                  I think your battery life has a lot more to do with the quality of batteries
                  you say you use, rather than your method of charging (or non-charging in
                  this case).

                  My first battery lasted eight years - and was kept as fully charged as
                  practical to do so through the winter.

                  If anyone wants to understand batteries a little more there is some
                  excellent reading (although it does have a bias towards marine applications)
                  and links to be found at:

                  http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/

                  Cheers
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                    On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Ken Hastie <ken@...> wrote:

                    > Look, you made a statement which could mislead people into shortening the
                    > life of their batteries.

                    Sure, but it's opinion.

                    > That statement isn't hard to challenge and I personally believe it is one
                    > that has no basis in fact, so should be challenged.

                    I'm glad you phrased things that way - judicous use of "I believe"
                    instead of statements of "fact" goes a very long way sometimes, as it
                    did here. Are you right and am I wrong? Maybe, but I won't likely
                    change the way I do things. That said, batteries might as well be oil
                    or wimmin - which is best and how to make use of them is a
                    preferential thing.

                    --
                    Jon
                  • nort75mk3@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                      I think it's more the luck of the draw with your battery. You either get a
                      good one or you don't. There is no such thing as a maintenance free
                      battery. Unless it's completely sealed most batteries you can still add water to.
                      My two 4- wheelers both say maintenance free and I added water to the truck
                      battery once in it's now eleventh year of life. The wife's car has a ten
                      old battery. My 76 bonneville battery was just replaced after ten years
                      this spring with occasionally using the battery tender over the years. My 96
                      trident now has a 3 yr. old battery but the 96 T-Bird has a new one this year
                      after 4 yrs. of service. Both of which has had the battery tender from
                      time to time. I bought a sealed battery for a Norton of mine and it lasted 4
                      months before it totally died. The new replacement has lasted 8 months and
                      counting. In the 13 years I've owned the 1996 Triumph's I have bought more
                      batteries for the two of them then all my other bikes and I have several.
                      They seem to dry out or boil out faster so you have to keep an eye on the
                      fluid level. I don't have any extra electronic gizmo's like some of you not
                      even a clock. Must be just the nature of the beast............What ever it is
                      you do keep doing it and ride on.......................climbing down from
                      soap box now.

                      Tim
                      96 trident
                      96 thunderbird
                      USA
                      steps!
                      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322931x1201367171/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
                      =May5509AvgfooterNO115)

                    • Guy Dallaire
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 6, 2009
                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jon Nelson <99trophy900@...> >
                        > Batteries Plus has an AGM that is a great battery, for a reasonable
                        > price. I can't say I'm generally a fan of Yuasa, having had quite a
                        > few bad or short-life batteries from them in the past. This last year,

                        I can't find those AGM batteries in Quebec, Canada