Re: BLIMEY,,,Oh no!

  • kentcorrespondent10
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
      Alec, changed the plugs about 400 miles ago.
    • Matt Holbrook-Bull
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
        Can you remember what the plugs looked like when you changed them?
        Might help you identify the problem.

        Matt

        (From iPhone)

        On 1 Apr 2009, at 20:57, "kentcorrespondent10" <kentcorrespondent10@...
        > wrote:

        > Alec, changed the plugs about 400 miles ago.

      • cpallenjr
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
          Maybe a bottle of Techron Fuel systems cleaner or similar will help if it's gunk.

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "kentcorrespondent10" <kentcorrespondent10@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the quick reply Matt, I have all the equipment you suggest, trouble is finding the know how on using it...
          >
          > I'm of the gunk in the carb thing myself, better keep an eye on it for a bit.

        • Wm Snyder
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
            I wouldn't go ripping into things without riding it a bit first. You might have just 'whiskered' a plug. This can happen when lugging an engine. A bit of carbon is left in the combustion chamber. This is the 'whisker' which ends up getting stuck to both electrodes (or the anode and the electrode if you want to get techie) and shorts the plug out. Therefore, No spark in that cylinder!  Then you open it up wide, the piston's whipping up and down, the four valves are opening and closing, LOTSA wind whipping around in the combustion chamber and in a flash, the whisker breaks loose from the business end of the plug and gets sucked out an exhaust port!  Relieved of the whisker, the plug starts to fire again, the missing cylinder kicks in again and up the road you go. No harm done.
            Anyhow, I'd ride it first and see if the problem hasn't gone away, then start with the plugs, see if they need changed or if you're running rich or lean and go from there.
            Bill