fuel gauge fluctuation

  • jim schisler
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3, 2009
      Hey guys, its been awhile since I've posted. I've had an interesting
      development of late.
      My fuel gauge is fluctuating between empty and wherever it should be.
      Has anyone had this problem?
      I'm guessing fuel sending unit but thought I'd post and see if anyone
      else has solved this one yet.

      Darned bike. 10 years of smooth running and now it starts giving me
      problems... 8^) -jims
    • Ken Hastie
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2009

        Mine did that for a while before it stopped altogether.

        I fixed it

        Ken the Geordie SST 13
        BSA A75R, A10, B40, D10, Triumph Trophy 1200
      • BWG3COY@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
          j.schisler@... writes:

          Hey guys, its been awhile since I've posted. I've had an interesting
          development of late.
          My fuel gauge is fluctuating between empty and wherever it should be.
          Has anyone had this problem?
          I'm guessing fuel sending unit but thought I'd post and see if anyone
          else has solved this one yet.

          Darned bike. 10 years of smooth running and now it starts giving me
          problems... 8^) -jims

          Yep. Me!
          Mine does it the other way. Full to what it should be
          And tghe fan fuse keeps blowing
          Mine is 10 years old too LOL

          John Bonnewell

        • BWG3COY@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
            In a message dated 04/03/2009 07:52:06 GMT Standard Time, ken@...
            writes:

            Mine did that for a while before it stopped altogether.

            I fixed it

            What was it?
            John Bonnewell

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
              Relax Big Fella,
              It's a really simple circuit. Disconnect your neg side of the batt.The problem is likely to be the wire laeding away from the senser. Replace it, and wrap it with that helical tubing, to keep wear from ever being a problem. Soft brass brush all connecters, maybe even use a bit of dialectric grease, to prevent occidation. Try it out. You may need a new tank unit, or guage?

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009

                I'm not sure that is likely to be the problem; based on many reports here,
                it is likely to be the sender unit itself (which is repairable)

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009

                  Snapped resistor wire.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
                    Thanks Ken

                    John Bonnewell

                  • Dennis
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
                      Before we get away from this subject, could Ken or maybe someone else
                      tell me what Araldite might be here on the other side of the pond. I'm
                      doing my valves and well, while the tanks off I thought I'd do this too.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009

                        Araldite seems to be manufactured by Huntsman, which I'm pretty sure is an
                        American company anyway (Mormons I seem to recall)

                        Try a Google search.

                        I don;t use the rapid stuff because the traditional two-part is stronger.

                        Comes in tubes (mebbes also in syringes).

                        Two part, clear, strong. My tubes say petrol resistant. Mine has been sat
                        in my petrol tank for many years now and still holding up - I think that's a
                        bit more than just resistant !

                        Ken the Geordie SST 13
                        BSA A75R, A10, B40, D10, Triumph Trophy 1200
                      • Bob Micheletti
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
                          I think JB Weld would be the best choice over here.

                          http://www.jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

                          No affiliation except I've used it to fix all kinds of stuff.

                          Bob

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
                            Thanks Poppa, I'll check it out this weekend. -jims
                            -----
                            Jack Byers wrote:

                            > Relax Big Fella,
                            > It's a really simple circuit. Disconnect your neg side of the batt.The
                            > problem is likely to be the wire laeding away from the senser. Replace
                            > it, and wrap it with that helical tubing, to keep wear from ever being
                            > a problem. Soft brass brush all connecters, maybe even use a bit of
                            > dialectric grease, to prevent occidation. Try it out. You may need a
                            > new tank unit, or guage?
                            > Kindest regards,
                            > Poppa Jack

                          • jim schisler
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
                              Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what I come up with this weekend. -jims