Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Steering head bearing question?

  • nort75mk3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
      Jim
      Why not replace the lower bearing with a sealed unit as well? If possible?

      Tim
      96 trident
      96 thunderbird
      USA

      steps!
      %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

    • jim.miles96
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
        My thanks to everyone that sent me a personal email about the
        bearings.

        It's obvious now that they all have an upper sealed bearing with a
        snap ring. It would be nice if the book or the parts illustration
        made some mention to this and it would also be nice if they quit
        telling us to grease bearings that can't be greased.

        The upper bearing is readily available at you local bearing supply
        for about 12bucks. I'm still trying to locate a new lower
        bearing/race assembly but it looks like it can also be ordered
        without going through triumph.

        At least I will have the satisfaction of knowing that my lower
        bearing will actually have grease in it, unlike the stock ones from
        Triumph. Maybe that's why we have to tighten them every 3K and also
        see so many posts about the common shake at 40mph. They don't have
        any freaking grease in them!

        Tim, the lower bearing assembly can't be replaced with a sealed unit
        because the load on the bottom is vertical and the sealed bearing is
        not designed for that. They can get away with this on the top because
        what little load it takes is primarily a lateral force.

        I truly appreciate everyone helping me to learn about this bike. I am
        a pilot and I was an aircraft mechanic for 20 years. I have a strong
        mechanical background but don't know much about motorcycles. This is
        actually the first one that I have worked on.

        Jim
        2003 Trophy 1200
        Collierville, TN