Re: [TriumphTrophy] Oil leak, round #3.

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2009
      Hi Mike,
      This is probably stupid, but in the photo you provided, it looked like the sensor just down from the sprocket cover could be a possible culprit. Have you popped that out and put new teflon tape on that yet? Just thinking out loud. Good luck Bud,

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2009
        Jack,
        I assume you're talking about the neutral indicator.
        I have not pulled that out --
        I may be stubborn in my beliefs that oil doesn't go UP.. but I suppose
        if it flys off ( shaking ), it could.

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mike,
        > This is probably stupid, but in the photo you provided, it looked
        like the sensor just down from the sprocket cover could be a possible
        culprit. Have you popped that out and put new teflon tape on that yet?
        Just thinking out loud. Good luck Bud,
        > Kindest regards,
        > Poppa Jack

      • philipwallington
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2009
          Hello Mike - it's quite clear to me that your oil leak is being
          caused by the presence of that fourth cyclinder - the excess pressure
          is just pushing oil out wherever it can. Now, if you'd only gone for
          a 900......!!

          But seriously - a couple of things that come to mind. And forgive me
          for just thinking out loud! Your pictures seem to show oil in three
          places - bottom of the pushrod seal, around the lowest cover bolt and
          behind the sprocket at the 7 o'clock area.

          Oil from the pushrod seal is obviously possible - even tho you've
          replaced the seal. The inner lip of the seal is a bit like a
          squeegee - it tries to stop oil getting out along the shaft. The
          pushrod goes through the middle of the gearbox main shaft - and
          immediately the other side of the seal recess is one of the main
          bearings - so plenty of oil to hold back. Has lightning struck in the
          same place? - possible, particularly if the shaft surface is badly
          pitted or scored where it goes through the seal. Reversing it is a
          good plan and may help...

          Oil on the back surface may just be splashed - but it does look
          localised - and I suspect if the sprocket seal was leaking it would
          spray oil all round the cover - off the back of the sprocket

          But one thing to ckeck is that lower cover bolt - first, is it a
          blind hole or does it go through into the gearbox casing? Take out
          the bolt and try a piece of wire or a small screwdriver blade in the
          hole. If it goes through, it will be relying on the cover gasket to
          seal it - may just be worth a check.

          Good luck - nothing worse than something like this to really wind you
          up

          Philip
        • Neil Christie
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2009
            Your leak is almost certainly from your push rod seal.

            Replace the seal - buy two, so you have a spare. Notw the orientation
            when you remove the current one, and ensure you son't install the new
            one backwards.

            Before reinstalling the push rod, use fine emery paper and then steel
            wool to completely deburr and smooth it.

            When reinstalling the sprocket cover, ENSURE the push rod seal and hole
            is centered in the pass-through hole in the sprocket cover - the groove
            worn in your push rod seal is likely because at some poiint in the past,
            that end was the sprocket end, and the cover was not properly
            centered...so the rod vibrates a bit and wears a groove, which damages
            the seal.

            Fidelity & Fortitude,

            Neil