Re: Cold Starting?

  • Greg Andrews
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
      Hi Kent, Yes its normal but there is a way to get around the hard
      starting. If the bike has sat for some time the fuel level in the float
      bowls are probably low. Pressing the starter button and turning over
      the engine doesn't make much vacuum to activate the fuel petcock. So
      getting the fuel level up is a hard thing with the fuel knob on the run
      position.

      Here's what to do. Before trying to start the engine, press the fuel
      knob in and turn it to prime, continue pressing the knob in for 10
      seconds. This will allow the fuel to freely flow past the fuel petcock
      and fill the float bowls. Now try the start button. After the engine
      has started turn to fuel knob to run. Hope this helps.
      Greg Andrews
      '96 900 BRG
      71,000 smiles

      "kentcorrespondent10 wrote:
      I've noticed that after two weeks of not starting, the bike take a good
      long push of the button to get going. Choke on, push the button for a
      length of time, then maybe two more times and she's a runner.

      Is this normal, or is it the start of my troubles! I'm going to be
      touring France & Belgium at the end of April on it, and as the wife
      will be riding pillion, I don't want ANYTHING to spoil our trip.
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Andrews" <gandrews@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Kent & Jack in Placerville, CA.
        , Yes its normal but there is a way to get around the hard
        > starting. If the bike has sat for some time the fuel level in the
        float
        > bowls are probably low. Hope this helps.
        > Greg Andrews
        > '96 900 BRG
        > 71,000 smiles

        Greg took the words right out of my mouth!!!
        Tom D...
      • J Mick Ormerod
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
          wrote:
          > Here's what to do. Before trying to start the engine, press the fuel
          > knob in and turn it to prime, continue pressing the knob in for 10
          > seconds. This will allow the fuel to freely flow past the fuel petcock
          > and fill the float bowls. Now try the start button. After the engine
          > has started turn to fuel knob to run. Hope this helps.
          > Greg Andrews
          > '96 900 BRG
          > 71,000 smiles

          Or fit a Pingel tap! LOL!

          Mick,Scotland,UK.
        • C BENNETT
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 11, 2009
            Whereabouts in Kent are you
            Colin

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 11, 2009
              normal , wait till it's laid up for a couple of months ...............you won't think it will ever start , I have found a little trick is to clamp your hand over o exhaust while cranking and it seems to help tremendously .
              Use a mates hand if you can't reach and run the starter button too .

            • Jack Martin
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 12, 2009
                You know what? That makes just enough theoretical sense that I will try it. Tomorrow morning, in fact, when I ride to work and it is forecasted to be 37 degrees. Thanks.
                Jack
                Placerville, CA