Coolant change....

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2009
      Hi guys, and happy new year to you all J

      My Trophy 900 still needs a coolant change, since it's probably been in
      there for too many years, so thought i'd give it a go this weekend (as long
      as it doesn't rain - I can cope with the cold, but not cold AND wet!!!)

      However the Haynes says that i need to remove the fairing to allow me to
      remove the Rad cap.

      I just wondered if there was any way to drain/flush without taking the
      fairing off - I suspect from experience that once I remove the rubber nuts
      and the associated bits they wont go back on again (it's happened on the two
      I've had to remove so far, and they aren't all the same according to
      Triumph!)..

      Thanks

      Paul

    • J Mick Ormerod
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2009
        Afraid you're going to have to take the left side fairing and belly pan.
        It will make the job easier in the long run. I don't know about the
        900, but the 1200 has a drain plug near the bottom of the cylinder
        case, which to do the job correctly, you have to remove. Also whist in
        there you can if you want remove the Allen head bolt that prevents the
        radiator cap being stolen (on unfaired bikes). Some reckon you can
        then get the cap off without removing anything, to check the water
        levels in the radiator. If you suspect the anti-freeze has been in a
        long time, give it a good flushing with a hose pipe (not much frost in
        the UK tomorrow, but it has forecast rain)then refit the bottom hose
        and drain plug, then fill it up with a 50/50 mix. Nearly forgot to
        mention the expansion chamber under the seat, Triumph in their
        infinite wisdom decided it would be a good idea to rivet this in
        place! But if you have a syringe or bicycle pump you could suck it
        out, or drill the rivets out and replace them with nuts and bolts(this
        will involve more panel removal!). Failing that eat some spinach and
        turn the whole lot upside-down and let it pour!!!!!!!!!!! Other than
        the aforementioned, it's a piece of cake;o)

        Mick, Scotland, UK.