water in petrol tank

  • ken pithouse
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
      hi all i am having a repetitive problem of water in the tank at first i
      thought it was the garage i was buying my petrol from have changed the
      garage and the supplier but still having problem. i have taken off the
      filler cap and sealed everything with blue hylomar but water is still
      getting in, it is becomming annoying having to keep stripping the carbs
      off and emptying the tank. the bike is covered at home but i am unable
      to cover it at work. has anyone else had this prob and have they
      fixed it or dose anyone have any sujestions of what to do
      thanks in advance ken.
    • nort75mk3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
        There are gas additives on the market that are supposed to remove moisture
        from fuel at your local auto parts stores. A very popular one here in
        midwestern USA is called HEET in a yellow container. Most of these additives have
        isoproplene or some kind of alcohol by product that absorb water. It will also
        keep your carb & fuel from icing up while driving in the winter months. I used
        it regularly in the winter months years ago when I owned a VW bug. Just fol
        low the directions and it should work for you. I would also try to buy my fuel
        from a reputable station that has good quality fuel and a high volume turn
        over. The longer it sits in the tanks the more moisture it absorbs. Good
        luck...........

        Tim
        96 trident
        96 thunderbird
        USA
        AOL.com.

      • Greg Andrews
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
          Hi Ken, If you are parking the bike where it is exposed to rain, here
          is my guess. Some water will find its way in past the the gas tank lid.
          But that water should drain away through the drain built into the
          recessed area around the tank opening. If the drain is clogged it will
          over flow the recessed area and go into the tank. Try dumping a few
          ounces of fuel into the recessed area, it should go directly to the
          ground via one of the drain tubes that goes through the tank and out
          the bottom.
          Hope ths helps,
          Greg Andrews

          "ken pithouse" wrote:
          i have taken off the filler cap and sealed everything with blue hylomar
          but water is still getting in, has anyone else had this prob and have