Re: Trophy 900 1996 Moto GP thoughts

  • freddycronin
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Andrews" <gandrews@...>
      wrote:
      >Hi Greg thanks for the advice I have tried that and the chain is
      still way to slack ,looks like Ill have to replace the chain and more
      than likely the rubbing block any advice on how to do would be well
      recieved .
      Valentino started 12th pole and the reason was his qualifying times
      werent good as he actully ran off the track onto grass which he
      handled well until he hit the gravel slow down barrier which made a
      bit of a mees of his bike .But what a rider 14th to 2nd you have to
      give it to him a true world beater .Still its great that an Aussie
      won the race

      > Hi Freddy, What a great experience to go to Phillip Island. I live
      in
      > Kansas City so I'll have to do the viewing on MotoGP.com
      > It was a good race seeing Rossi go thru the middle group. I forget
      why
      > he started back in the pack. He rides on such hard tires that his
      first
      > few laps are always slow. Casey Stoner is a wonderful competitor.
      > I attended the MotoGP race in Monterey,CA in 2006. Man was it ever
      hot,
      > 100 degrees F. The track viewing areas were not set up to handle
      groups
      > of that size. And trying to get out to the parking lot took 90
      minutes.
      > I'll never go back to Laguana Seca.
      > Greg
      >

      > "freddycronin" wrote:
      > Hi Group Ive just finished a 10500 k tour across Australia to see
      the
      > Motogp race at Phillip island

    • Greg Andrews
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
        Hi Freddy, If you have rotated the eccentric all the way, I'd guess the
        chain is worn out. Another way to check is this. Try pulling the chain
        away from the rear of the back sprocket. A good chain won't allow you
        to pull it away at all. Usually the chain will start showing kinks
        before it gets stretched too far. I can't help you on the rubbing
        block, but putting on a new chain isn't too hard if you have the right
        tools (small hand held grinder, and a chain breaker). Motion Pro sells
        a good heavy duty chain tool.
        Grind the nubs off a link, take apart the link, connect the new chain
        to the old chain, pull the old chain so the new chain gets threaded
        onto the drive sprocket. Use the chain tool to mash the nubs on the new
        master link, don't squease the master too much. A shop can do the job
        in about 10 minutes.
        Triumph recomends changing the sprockets with the chain. I don't. The
        sprockets last and last. My drive sprocket showed little signs of wear
        at 60,000 miles and the rear showed none. I wait until they show signs
        of being worn.
        Greg Andrews
        '95 900 Nightshade
        lots of miles

        "freddycronin" wrote:
        I have tried that and the chain is still way to slack ,looks like Ill
        have to replace the chain and more than likely the rubbing block any
        advice on how to do would be well received .