Re: [TriumphTrophy] Won't Start (redux) - Trip scheduled in two days!!!!!

  • nort75mk3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
      Bud
      did you try jump starting it with a battery charger/starter or with another
      battery? Electronic ignitions are fussy.........

      Tim
      96 trident
      96 thunderbird
      USA

    • Colin Watkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        My Trophy definitely won't start with a battery showing 10v. Anything below
        11v and it's stone dead.

        Next issue is that once it's failed to start due to a low battery, the plugs
        become fouled and then it won't start even with a good battery. The good
        battery quickly becomes discharged with the attempts at starting and you're
        back to stage 1

        So I suggest:

        Remove and clean all spark plugs.

        Charge the battery. A fully charged battery should show at least 13v off
        load.

        Or

        Use a car battery and jump leads.

        Turn the engine over and check that the plugs spark before reinstalling them
        in the engine. You need to check two plugs from the same coil (1200)
        together. They won't spark singly.

        Reinstall the plugs. Start the engine with the fully charged battery or the
        car battery and jump leads.

        Reassemble everything - start the engine - go on the trip.

        Colin.

        Ps: San Francisco, Las Vegas, Yosemite, Death Valley - you lucky people!

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
          Bud,

          After you eliminate the battery;

          Did you check the ignitor pick-up resistance?
          spec is in the service book.

          Did you check the security system jumper?
          if this jumper is dislodged, the bike will crank and not fire.

          Hate to point out the obvious, but if the bike was fine, then you worked
          on it, and now is not fine, the problem *must be* in the area you worked
          on. (usually)

          Andrew

        • apsllp@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
            At 10 Volts the initial problem is 100% Remember this is not a Magneto and points or a condenser and points ignition. The computer will not fire the plugs at this voltage.

            If you crank your engine at 10 volts, you risk severe damage to the starter and it's Sprag Clutch. Look in the files as this is an expensive repair should you damage it. This has been discussed here at nausium.

            Now that you have continued to try starting when the ignitor can't possibly fire the plugs you have most likely fouled your spark plugs.

            While you have the tank of Install new spark plugs. Go to Walmart (Or your favorite battery store) annd sped $45.00 for a new battery.

            You can't trouble shoot without a Fresh Battery. If you look in the Triumph Service manual it tells you the smae thing. It is ALWAYS the #1 thing to look at if you are sure thre is fresh gas in the tank. Charging the Battery will do no good as even if you get it to "POP" it won't have enough in it to fire all of the plugs and you will foul them again.

            I recomend against "Jum" starting for the same reason. In addition as soon as it dies or shuts down and you are away from your shop you will be stranded again for all of the above mentioned reasons. GO BUY A BATTERY FIRST.

            Do you have nology coils?
            Do you keep your battery on a maintainer? (If you don't keep it on a maintainer it ill not live more than about 2 years)

            Do you have the Service manual?

            Bob Clark
            01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
            96 Magna Red Honda PC-800