Rattle saga - the rebuild now starts

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
      Well, I have now officially dismantled, stripped and measured every
      single part of the engine. My last hope was the oil pump, but that is
      in fact perfect and undamaged in any way.

      I think I just have to accept that these metal flakes were historic,
      and now I simply need to rebuild everything with new gaskets, bearings
      etc and makinng sure everything is thoroughly cleaned.

      Perhaps I have just been unlucky here...

      Martin.
      ps: I am still very keen to upgrade the engine after so much time
      spent tearing it down - I cannot bring myself to just reassemble a
      standard engine after this much effort. The Daytona cams are a
      definite, but I am interested to hear other suggestions now the cams,
      liners, pistons and crank are all out. I like the suggestion of the
      955i pistons and liners, but need to understand more about the
      machining needed.
    • Alec Gore
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
        Martin

        So the foreign body theory is looking more of a possibility ...

        Anyway, on your plans for a super-Trophy: There is an old edition of TORQUE
        magazine in which a guy in Canada who is on the Yahoo T-bird list wrote
        about doing this to a Thunderbird, i.e. putting 955 pistons in a T-bird and
        in Australia there was someone who did it to a Speed Triple (Spondon 955?)
        who is in the Yahoo Speed Triple group. There's probably some info in
        www.triumphrat.net as well. Ask in the Yahoo Dame Edna group too.

        I believe it came down to a question of how much you can grind the liner
        without it being too thin versus how much you grind into the cases. You'd be
        looking for a Daytona ignitor and the higher comp pistons as well?

        Then you could top it off with a set of FCR carbs and drag race it ;0)

        Sprint Manufacturing (Warminster) and Triumph-Ant (S. Wales) are both within
        easy reach of you to see what they are breaking at present.

        Regards

        Alec
      • triumphnutter
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2008
          Martin,
          I would not start doing anything until you talk with Matt Capri from
          Southbay Triumph in California. He's "the" Triumph guru. This guy
          knows how to get power from these engines. He can tell you what
          works and what won't. Nice guy as well. Here's the webstite:
          www.southbaytriumph.com

          Let us know,
          Cheers,
          Jonathan West

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Martin" <martin.jacques@...>
          wrote:

          > ps: I am still very keen to upgrade the engine after so much time
          > spent tearing it down - I cannot bring myself to just reassemble a
          > standard engine after this much effort. The Daytona cams are a
          > definite, but I am interested to hear other suggestions now the
          cams,
          > liners, pistons and crank are all out. I like the suggestion of the
          > 955i pistons and liners, but need to understand more about the
          > machining needed.

        • Greg Andrews
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2008
            Hi Martin,
            I agree with Jonathan about Matt Capri. He's has been hot rodding
            Triumphs for a long time. My '95 900 was originally sold from his shop.
            The bike still has the South Bay Triumph decals on the fairings.
            Greg Andrews

            "triumphnutter" wrote:
            Martin, I would not start doing anything until you talk with Matt Capri
            from Southbay Triumph in California. He's "the" Triumph guru.
            Cheers, Jonathan West