New member - Buying advice please

  • johnrobertdavison
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi

      I'm a newbie to your forum and would really appreciate some buying
      advice.

      I am looking for an all year daily comuter and initially thought
      about a Honda Pan ST1100 (I know wash out my mouth).

      I then saw a Trophy 1200 with all fitted luggage and thought thats a
      lovely bike. However I don't know much about them and the prices
      seem very odd with some real bargains and others asking way over
      book price???

      I currently own a '97 Yamaha Thunderace in show condition with very
      low miles. Firstly my back wouldn't take the daily 60 mile comute
      and secondly it doesn't have luggage and won't take all year riding.

      Could you give me your advice on what I should look out for and what
      around £2-2500 should get me in terms of plate/mileage/condition.

      Cheers

      I look forward to your replies

      John
    • Martin
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
        John,

        I use my 03 1200 as a daily commuter, 100 miles each day. It does this
        work with consummate ease, and protects very well from the elements.

        The bike copes admirably loaded up fully, and just keeps battling on.

        Fuel economy is not a strong point, due I think to a combination of
        the barn door fairing (hence the weather protection) and the
        relatively old-tech carb fed engine. I can just get 200 miles to a
        tank (normally takes 23-24 litres) riding at 75 on the motorway, but
        very can very easily get this down to 140 miles when enjoying the bike.

        On the plus point though is practically everything else. Cheap to buy,
        wonderful low rpm torque, safe but slightly wallowy handling, survives
        winter well, bulletproof reputation etc.

        I highly recommend one. If you are prepared to haggle, prices are
        shockingly low at the moment. I think £2,500 would get you the very
        latest 2003 1200 with around 30,000 on the clock.

        Great bikes,

        Martin.
        ps: Bear in mind that I am saying all this despite the fact that mine
        has grenaded its engine recently, and you will get a feeling for the
        passion of us Trophy owners :-)
      • bernie hewlett

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
            Hi John, Here is the USA the Trophy's resale value is low. Good for the
            buyer bad for the seller. People don't know what a wonderful bike they
            are. Those that are asking for above book value know what a great bike
            it is and feel it is worth every penny of it.
            They come in two sizes 900 and 1200. Same bike except one has an extra
            cylinder. Generally better fuel mileage on the 900 and more torque on
            the 1200.
            Things to look for: Some after market goodies make the riding more
            enjoyable or more convenient. These item can be costly on initial
            purchase but if they're on a used bike, what a great deal. Clearview or
            Eagle windscreen, Scottoiler, lugguage rack with top box, the last one
            being the most costly. The engines are mostly bullet proof. So don't
            worry about the mileage if it has been well maintained. My '95 900 has
            223,000 miles on it and still runs great. This is what is so puzzling
            about Martin's bike. Mechanical problems are such a rarity.
            So find one with the color and after market goodies you like and enjoy.
            Greg Andrews
            '95 900 Nightshade &
            '96 900 BRG

            "johnrobertdavison" wrote:
            I'm a newbie to your forum and would really appreciate some buying
            advice. I am looking for an all year daily comuter... I then saw a
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
              Hi Guys

              thanks for the advice. I really love the look of the bike and having
              read owner reviews it seems they are a joy and cheap to own.

              My biggest worry is people saying they are tall. I am 6 feet tall
              but only have a 31-32" leg. Will I struggle?

              I sat on the new Tiger the other day and that was about as much as I
              would be comfortable with.

              What interval is the servicing?

              If anyone is thinking of selling or knows of a nice example please
              feel free to email me.

              Cheers John

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "bernie hewlett" <bjh.317@...>
              wrote:

              > the thing to do is look around,there are some real bargains around
              as well overpriced.i saw a 2003 (1200) with 39000 miles and this guy
              wanted £3200 for it.Ispent a long time looking for a 1200
              trophy,bought it last week,its fully kitted 4100 miles absolute mint
              and i was happy to pay £3500 for it.took it out yesterday for my
              first real ride on it,mrs on the back and it was just superb such a
              smooth machine to ride coped with the country roads with real
              ease.google it and you can read all about the trophy,the only
              downside to a trophy is that it is dated,but when you get such a
              great bike who cares.as for wallowy,correct setting of the shocker
              will take care of that.

            • Dr Brian J Fitzsimons
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
                John,

                I have a 1996 BBBS and am only 5’82 with a 31” inside leg. It is a beast to
                yank (literally) up off the side stand, but with the standard seat I can get
                both feet flat on the floor. It is top heavy, but not excessively so. I
                regularly take my teenage daughters out on the back – the boss refuses to
                ride!

                As for suspension, the Hagon progressive springs and rear shock made a huge
                difference, and the tokico 6-pot front brakes took care of the braking. I
                added a Clearview screen to get rid of some buffeting around the ears. I
                now have the PERFECT machine – what a joy to ride!

                Go for it. Find a good one, tweak it to suit – you’ll not regret it.

                Brian

                _____

                --- In TriumphTrophy@ <mailto:TriumphTrophy%40yahoogroups.com>
                wrote:

                > the thing to do is look around,there are some real bargains around
                as well overpriced.i saw a 2003 (1200) with 39000 miles and this guy
                wanted £3200 for it.Ispent a long time looking for a 1200
                trophy,bought it last week,its fully kitted 4100 miles absolute mint
                and i was happy to pay £3500 for it.took it out yesterday for my
                first real ride on it,mrs on the back and it was just superb such a
                smooth machine to ride coped with the country roads with real
                ease.google it and you can read all about the trophy,the only
                downside to a trophy is that it is dated,but when you get such a
                great bike who cares.as for wallowy,correct setting of the shocker
                will take care of that.

              • bernie hewlett
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
                  simply NO i am 6 ft 3 32 inch leg and i find the trophy is so comfortable it is a big persons bike,a pure drewam to ride
                  bernie

                  wrote:

                  > the thing to do is look around,there are some real bargains around
                  as well overpriced.i saw a 2003 (1200) with 39000 miles and this guy
                  wanted £3200 for it.Ispent a long time looking for a 1200
                  trophy,bought it last week,its fully kitted 4100 miles absolute mint
                  and i was happy to pay £3500 for it.took it out yesterday for my
                  first real ride on it,mrs on the back and it was just superb such a
                  smooth machine to ride coped with the country roads with real
                  ease.google it and you can read all about the trophy,the only
                  downside to a trophy is that it is dated,but when you get such a
                  great bike who cares.as for wallowy,correct setting of the shocker
                  will take care of that.

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
                    John,

                    I've only a 29 inch leg, and i seem to be able to ride mine no problems.

                    Hope that helps

                    Paul

                    '94 Trophy

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2008

                      That'll be the BBB then. I quite enjoy the sound of the fuel being sucked
                      out of the BBBB as we fly by 8:)

                      Ken the Geordie SST 13
                      BSA A75R, A10, B40, D10, Triumph Trophy 1200
                    • Ken Hastie
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2008

                        Ken Hastie
                        Group Owner
                      • Robert
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2008
                          I'm 5'6" tall with a 30" inseam and 160lbs. I ride a 2001 Trophy 1200
                          with no problems.

                          I've also been riding all sorts bikes since 1972. Keep in mind
                          experience allows one to do things a beginner shouldn't attempt. There
                          is no substitute for seat time.

                          As for Trophies being cheap to own and operate....

                          It all depends on your standards. Although the entry price to ownership
                          is low I would not say ownership is cheap. Hands down my wife's Honda
                          PC-800 is much less expensive operate and maintain. It's a fair mount
                          for me though it lacks the "Trophy Grin Factor".

                          If your looking for something "In-expensive" to own and operate, a
                          Trophy is not your best choice out there.(There are several other bikes
                          on the market that are cheaper to operate and maintain) That said, I
                          don't ride a Trophy to save $$. My VW Jetta is less expensive to
                          operate than my Trophy. For me and my purposes my 1200 Trophy is
                          ideal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not negative at all on the Trophy. I'd
                          rather give an honest answer and steer you away from a Trophy than have
                          you purchase one with a perception that is not realistic. If you buy
                          one with unrealistic expectations, YOU WILL ULTIMATELY be disappointed.

                          Bob Clark
                          01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
                          96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
                          71 Suzuki T-500
                          Jacksonville, FL / Augusta, GA
                        • brillooo@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
                            Sounds like you're just sour because you got shorted a cylinder. Ya gotta
                            belly up to the bar if ya want a full glass of beer.

                            In a message dated 8/2/2008 3:51:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            ken@... writes:

> [...]

                            Read reviews on AOL Autos.