Road Test Results after Gauge Installation

  • Bud Izen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Had to go out of town in the car for about a week, so this report is a bit late. During a ride in about 60 - 65 degree weather, I noticed that the temp gauge read a very constant 180 degrees while in motion. This was a fairly low speed ride, 16 miles total. Highest speed 70, average around 40 or so. At stops for more than 30 seconds or so, the temp would climb to around 210 and stop there, so I am guessing that the thermostat is around 210. It never got hotter than that during the ride, and the fan never went on during or after. A number of people asked me to report on the temp range, so there you have it.

      The voltmeter ran at a constant 14.6 volts which I consider to be normal, indicative that the alternator is charging the battery (which I keep at full charge via the use of a Battery Tender).

      Also, Jim, who is in the process of installing the same gauges as Ron and me, reports that there is now a dual-connection sensor that will drive the idiot light as well as the gauge. I'm not sure how paranoid I would have to be to install such a sensor, but there it is.

      Bud Izen
      '99 Platinum 900
      Turner Oregon