Crash Test Dummy Repair

  • Craig LEE
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hello. Well, 'tis the time of the year here in OZ when Craig decides
      to go aroving on Mount Hotham(snowfields). He doesn't see the 'black
      ice' until it's too late. He slides on his a__se watching his beloved
      BBBS depreciate before his eyes. He tries to get up and falls over
      again. Gee this stuff is slippery. Probably not a good place to ride
      a motorcycle; doh! The right fairing is badly and deeply scratched as
      is the right pannier. The clutch cover is damaged. Of course the
      blinker has snapped off. Somehow the chrome on the headlight surround
      is scratched but the ass'y is intact. Now I am home and have calmed
      down with the aid of some bourbon, can someone tell me of a repair
      medium that I might use to fill the deep scratches in the plastics.
      Bearing in mind it has to retain some flexibility? I will use 'Q'
      Bond to reattach some mounts that have broken off of the belly pan. I
      have found that Sherbrooke Green Metallic is very close to original
      colour of mine and have used it before. Any other tips the group
      would like to share, be my guest. My son and I got out of this without
      a scratch. I realise I have to keep things in perspective. Cheers,
      Craig from OZ.
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
        Craig:

        The fairing material is ABS. Leave the bike in the garage if it is
        freezing out.....Unless you know it is dry out. Bone break faster in
        the cold too.

        Bob Clark
        01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
        96 Magna Red Honda PC-800
        71 Suzuki T-500
        Augusta, GA

        Craig LEE wrote:

        > Hello. Well, 'tis the time of the year here in OZ when Craig decides
        > to go aroving on Mount Hotham(snowfields). He doesn't see the 'black
        > ice' until it's too late. He slides on his a__se watching his beloved
        > BBBS depreciate before his eyes. He tries to get up and falls over
        > again. Gee this stuff is slippery. Probably not a good place to ride
        > a motorcycle; doh! The right fairing is badly and deeply scratched as
        > is the right pannier. The clutch cover is damaged. Of course the
        > blinker has snapped off. Somehow the chrome on the headlight surround
        > is scratched but the ass'y is intact. Now I am home and have calmed
        > down with the aid of some bourbon, can someone tell me of a repair
        > medium that I might use to fill the deep scratches in the plastics.
        > Bearing in mind it has to retain some flexibility? I will use 'Q'
        > Bond to reattach some mounts that have broken off of the belly pan. I
        > have found that Sherbrooke Green Metallic is very close to original
        > colour of mine and have used it before. Any other tips the group
        > would like to share, be my guest. My son and I got out of this without
        > a scratch. I realise I have to keep things in perspective. Cheers,
        > Craig from OZ.

      • Ian Bardsley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
          This product claims to be pretty universal for plastic repairs:
          http://www.plastex.ca/. I have a kit waiting for me to replace a couple of
          tabs on my Trophy, so I can't attest as to its reliability yet.

          Plastic body fillers are available from auto parts shops. Primers etc should
          be rated for use on plastics, otherwise the repair process is the same as on
          cars.

          HTH Ian
        • Dr Brian J Fitzsimons
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
            Hi,

            Used the plastex kit to great effect on my old VFR!

            I've got more to do a few tabs on the BBBS I've just got, and am sure it'll
            be great.

            Keep it upright,

            Brian

            _____

            This product claims to be pretty universal for plastic repairs:
            http://www.plastex <http://www.plastex.ca/> ca/. I have a kit waiting for
            me to replace a couple of
            tabs on my Trophy, so I can't attest as to its reliability yet.

            Plastic body fillers are available from auto parts shops. Primers etc should

            be rated for use on plastics, otherwise the repair process is the same as on

            cars.

            HTH Ian

            Doctors.net.uk education: Totally independent, totally
            free.http://www.doctors.net.uk/education

            Click here
            <https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/vopktuUD15jTndxI!oX7UopUgbK5eAnCy+eV3LLI!!rT
            lqpANxa01GV0d7tL8IftElgvlC+MDQT1lqOECv!Swg==> to report this email as spam.

          • Mark Molloy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
              G'day Ian.
              Thanks for the info. I would be very interested to hear of the results
              of your "Plastex" repair. I have a busted tab on the top front on r/h
              side panel, you know, the one that is about the size of the top of a
              pinky. It looks like a major job to re-manufacture. Anyone else had
              this tab repair project?

              The damage happened the last time (and I mean that is the last time)
              that I put the bike into a shop for work. I was charged for the
              pleasure and have now decided to tool up and do my own maintenance
              etc. I find this forum the most helpful and friendly bunch of people I
              have dealt with on-line or face-to-face ever. Keep up the good work. I
              look forward to my daily email with all the chat and advice from the
              Triumph Trophy group.
              Regards to all,
              Mark

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Bardsley"