Why is it so?

  • Craig LEE
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2008
      Gents(and ladies), can someone with some electrical knowledge explain
      to me why, when connecting my trickle charger, the clock, which
      normally works perfectly, slows down to a crawl and finally stops?!
      When readying the bike for a ride, I set the clock and away it goes
      again. Just a quirk I've noticed. Any theories? thanks, Craig from OZ.
    • Erv
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2008
        Craig,
        Hmmmm, that's a new one on me. What kind of charger? How many
        volts/amps? I use a Battery Tender Junior at 1amp(never go over 1.4
        amps for over 1 hr!!)and have never had a prob like that. Actually, I'm
        kind of surprised my clock still works after 6 years!! If your charger
        is working fine, I guess you could disconect the battery when on the
        charger, but I would have the charger checked to ensure it's working
        properly. Or if it's real old, purchase a Battery Tender, they are
        fairly inexpensive(appx $30) and they work great.

        Erv
        Deep in the Heart of Texas!!
      • jim schisler
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2008
          Craig, unbeknownst to most the clock on a triumph trophy is an
          anti-electric device
          that sucks the life blood from any electrical charge existing in your
          bike. If left
          connected it will do more harm than good. It is this bikes gremlin.
          When you connect a battery charger it is rebelling by switching poles and
          trying to blow your bike up.
          Take my advice with the clock on this bike. If you need to keep track
          of time
          disconnect the clock, buy a small digital sticky backed one for 10 bucks
          and place
          it on top of the clock face.
          And, remember to keep the wiring a good distance from the clock when
          you disconnect it because it has a life of its own and will try and
          reconnect itself.
          Good luck, -jims
          ---------------------
          Craig LEE wrote:

          > Gents(and ladies), can someone with some electrical knowledge explain
          > to me why, when connecting my trickle charger, the clock, which
          > normally works perfectly, slows down to a crawl and finally stops?!
          > When readying the bike for a ride, I set the clock and away it goes
          > again. Just a quirk I've noticed. Any theories? thanks, Craig from OZ.

        • Colin Watkins
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2008
            Trickle chargers don't deliver pure DC voltage. Depending on construction
            and quality they deliver DC with a bit of a wobble!

            The wobble will be at mains frequency. I suspect that the 'wobble' is close
            to the frequency of the timer in the clock and is causing some interference
            which you see as the slowdown!

            Try using a different charger and see if it makes a difference.

            Colin

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2008
              Evening Gents,
              One of my life's "Love of my life" bikes was a
              brown&tan '79. She was a little rough, but I got into
              shape. The only problem I ever had was that I had to
              plug in that damned (Pardon, Ladies) charger every
              night. after a good all day ride she was fine. Turns
              out it's the same nonsense again. I'm Liking the
              little "stick on", idea more and more.
              p.s. It hit 75 degrees here today!

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 27, 2008
                Happy day Colin,
                Chargers very in how they deliver voltage. When you
                plug it into the A/C power at 115 volts, that is more
                or less an alternating voltage. That alternating
                voltage, drops the energy down to 12 volts alright,
                but the charge is still an A/C charge. If your
                particular unit needs to charge in D/C there must be a
                diode (electronic valve), which only allows half of
                the charge flow. This is pulsating D/C. However many
                chargers use two diodes, one for each side of the A/C
                current, thus a uniform charge. A few accessories may
                only work at half speed, due to only having a
                pulsating D/C charge allowed by the single diode. Here
                a diagram is worth a thousand words. If you don't want
                to fool with it , get a "Battery Tender", end of
                problem!
                --- Colin Watkins <colinwatkins@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 27, 2008
                  Hey Craig,
                  I just thought of another possibility. Did the
                  charger always work this way? If not you might just be
                  able go to your local electronics shop, and for a
                  couple bucks, solder in a new diode. Just be sure to
                  use a heat sink (ask the guy at the store- it's just a
                  couple roach clips).
                  Cheers
                  Poppa